Retractable Cockpit Shade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The custom ShurShade cockpit retractable cover arrived. The install was started today. Here a a couple of shots.

Attachments

• Moonstruck SureShade 1.jpg
    Moonstruck SureShade 1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Moonstruck SureShade 2.jpg
    Moonstruck SureShade 2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 246
Greetings,
Mr. M. So, aside from the ugly fart on the upper weather deck, where's the shade or am I to believe this to be an installment installation?

Greetings,
Mr. M. So, aside from the ugly fart on the upper weather deck, where's the shade or am I to believe this to be an installment installation?

Correct, an installment installation. However the shade is up there rolled up, but in a polyethlene shipping cover. The whole thing at the touch of a button will extend over the cockpit when needed. I will try to get a video of the operation of it.

RT, try clicking on the picture twice to see more detail. I think you can see how it telscopes out over the cockpit.

To follow up on the cockpit shade, here are a couple of pictures with the top extended.

Attachments

• SureShade 2-19-14 3.jpg
    SureShade 2-19-14 3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 148
  • SureShade 2-19-14 2.jpg
    SureShade 2-19-14 2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 569
Saw it the other day ...pretty slick :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks, Scott. When Scott stopped over he was immediately put to work sorting our a spaghetti tangle of wires, and helping to install a new TV. Nothing is easy on a boat. Nice to have professional help around.:thumb:

Don,
I'd rather have that shade (a bit smaller) on the other end of the cabin as a visor out over the wheelhouse windows.

On some boats.....especially ones that cruise at 25 or so...people often spend more time having fun in the cockpit than behind the wheel....:D:thumb::D

Don,
I'd rather have that shade (a bit smaller) on the other end of the cabin as a visor out over the wheelhouse windows.

Eric, it can be stopped at any percentage of extension, or retracted completely. However, it can't be turned around towards the front; but it would probably not last long at 27 knots.:D

OK OK,

It looks like I've got a 6 knot mindset.

Never thought about 27knots. Could walk up and shove it back though right?

Let it go...Don's happy with it...looks good and is useful to his boating....what's cool is it is electric retract/deploy.

While I like eyebrow shades too...this isn't one and based on his vast experience with boating and cruising....he'll get one if he see a need for one.

I'm assuming you retract it when not on the boat in case the wind picks up. My cockpit shade is fixed and has two supports at the rear but strong winds one day pulled the support tubes out of their sockets. A slip neighbor tied it down for me.

Knowing Don, he's probably got a retract switch tied to his wind meter like an RV to retract it automatically when the wind picks up.

That sure looks fantastic, Don. A perfect addition to the good ship Moonstruck.

Last edited:
Knowing Don, he's probably got a retract switch tied to his wind meter like an RV to retract it automatically when the wind picks up.

Well, not really, Al. I will be retracted in my absence. It really is a neat trick. I was going to get the manual operated system, but Lou reminded me that we are not young anymore. Imagine that.

She is going to the paint shop Wednesday. They are just finishing up on a 57' sail boat. Here are a couple of pictures of what the Alexseal paint job looks like. They are just polishing and touching up on it now. Click on it to enlarge the photo. That's yours truly taking the picture reflected by the paint. This color is midnight blue. On the shady side it looks black. On the sun side deep blue. Absolutely beautiful. Mine will be black.

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 124
It seems like a bunch of maintenance items got compressed into a short time frame. While the boat is out of the water it will be bottom painted, heat exchangers and after coolers serviced, deck and cabin compounded and polished. We are pretty well updated and ready to cruise for several years. Oh yeah, the new dinghy hoist that I ordered from HopCar. will go on after painting. I am anxious to see how that is going to work. Of course Parks gaurranteed that it will be effortless.:D With all that done it will be time to varnish the exterior teak trim.

I think I am starting to get itchy feet. Besides I have to get out of here before the big rendezvous after the first of the year. I have to keep my beer stash safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, I slipped a GPS tracker aboard when I was helping with the TV...NO beer stash is ever safe...

Don't worry, I slipped a GPS tracker aboard when I was helping with the TV...NO beer stash is ever safe...

By the way Scott, I picked up 90 degree adapters for 3 RCA jacks, a coax connector, and an HDMI connection. They made it much easier to get it close to the wall. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom