Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #48
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
FlyWright- Question: Are those two photos of the same boat? I ask as the first appears to be of some dingy hulk where as the second is spotless. The Lewmar is still on the table. Just have to deal with the mental challenge of reorganization of the deck area. Question # 2- What size and is it common, chain is recommended on a Lewmar? Based on our 27 foot 11,000# boat? I assume there is a table, just asking on the bet you have that knowledge,
Thanks, Al
1. The first photo was taken on my garage floor. That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my garage.

2. My model is the Lewmar ProSeries 1000. It uses 5/16 chain and I wanted 8 plait Brait. The good folks at Defender advised my to upsize my Brait line to 9/16 to avoid slippage. Here's what I ordered with the windlass. I later added another 90 ft of chain for a total chain length of 120 ft. I've never had a problem with slippage or the chain-to-line transition. The couple of times it acted up was when the clutch loosened and I didn't notice. It's a simple 5-second adjustment with the Lewmar wrench.

As you can see in the photos below, I went with the self-launching bow roller. I am very satisfied with it and have no regrets (except for the split aft roller).

Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share challenges and solutions with you. Each boat is different and I had help from some pretty crafty airplane mechanics, but maybe my solutions can help you work through some of your challenges.

I have the 15 kg Lewmar Bruce look-alike claw anchor. It holds fine, but I wish I went with the 20 kg model. Although it was sized according to Lewmar's recommendations, it just looks undersized. I ordered the anchor a year before the windlass installation. The windlass will easily handle the 20 kg Bruce and I'd sleep even better on the hook.

I was on the boat today and took shots of my repaired anchor roller, so I thought I'd throw them in here. I used 2-inch wide industrial strength Rescue Tape to rejoin the 2 split roller halves while awaiting the replacement roller.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote