Lead for Ballast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Hy guys

It's getting close!....
I am getting lead ingots to use as ballast in my boat.
Is there any special care apart from getting it far from other metals?

Thank you

I wouldn't think so...many older sailboats just had a big chunk bolted on as a keel. Painted over with copper paint.

Just make sure it's secure.

We have lead ballast appeared to be 5200'd in.

If you are putting in ingots just ensure that they are well secured so they don't move around, either use brackets or some sort of adhesive.

Cheers
Benn

I built a couple of boats from a bare fiberglass hull and deck and had to install lead ballast. What I did was use 60 lb lead ingots and then poured a mixture of lead shot and polyester resin to fill the gaps. I had a 2 lb coffee can that I mixed the shot and resin into to make a mixture that barely flowed. I pour that into the space and toweled it smooth. The 2 lb can was pretty much all I wanted to work with. It was pretty heavy when full.

I don't know if you can get the lead shot where you live but I got mine from a gun club who regularly went out to the range to pick up the expended lead. They clean it and packed into 25 lb bags and sold it to the public.

Portuguese- When placing the 900# of 55# ingots in our boat, most were placed in a perfect fitting slot over the keel. The remainder were placed on the outboard side of the engine rails. Those I secured with an American tape product called "Gorilla" tape. On occasion as the boat is used, we have shifted some of these outboard ingots. In doing so we had to remove the Gorilla tape and found that this tape adheres to the fiberglass with tenacity that gives me confidence that the ingots will remain in place. Wanted to submit this as I had started a ballast thread some months ago where good advise was offered.
Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska:angel:

I made lead ingots from salvaged wheel weights from the tire store. They were held in place in the bow bilge of my boat using silicon sealant. They never moved! Made about 40 ingots of 15 lbs each.

My experience.
CCC

Might want to use heavy metal shot blast mixed with cement/epoxy. You can probable get for free at a shop that shot blasts. Our plant usually has a 50 gallons drum of used shot.

The Eagles bilge and keel is filled with cement with a fiber glass top over to keep in place. Shot blast is a lot heavier then cement Juat a thought!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I made lead ingots from salvaged wheel weights from the tire store. They were held in place in the bow bilge of my boat using silicon sealant. They never moved! Made about 40 ingots of 15 lbs each.

How long did it take you to collect 600 lbs of wheel weights?

Approx 60 lb ingots stuck in place with 3M-42000 you can see the ingots were sawn in half to fit in USPS "if it fits we ship" The best price I could find was a company in California, Rotomold, Which sold including free shipping. My Mail Lady got a nice Christmas envelope that year.

Attachments

• Lead ingots Gumbo.jpg
    Lead ingots Gumbo.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 115
My boat is heavy enough. Nevertheless, my Dad's 28.5-foot sloop weighed 4 tons, half of which was lead. It was contained within the keel. If adding ballast, I'd want it not to shift.

The only ballast I have found on my boat is in the form of coarse powdered lead, located in a sealed compartment below the vee berth. I haven't found any ballast in the stern of the boat but their may be some in the keel.
The powdered lead may not be quite as dense as solid lead but it fills the void completely, and can be removed easily if required.

Greetings,
Mr. RickB. "Is that steel shot?" That was my question to myself. I wasn't going to bother bringing it up....sigh...

WesK,

I went to the tire shop and got them free,they were throwing them into 5 gal buckets.
When I melted them I fished the steel clips out of the molten lead and then poured into a homemade mold.

If installing any ballast with polly or epoxy , do it in smallish batches as both can get VERY warm when curing a large batch.

WesK,

I went to the tire shop and got them free,they were throwing them into 5 gal buckets.
When I melted them I fished the steel clips out of the molten lead and then poured into a homemade mold.

I'm just surprised you were able to get 600 lbs of them. Molding the lead to fit the boat seems like the best plan for weight vs. space. :thumb:

I'm just surprised you were able to get 600 lbs of them. Molding the lead to fit the boat seems like the best plan for weight vs. space. :thumb:

Doesn't take many 5 gal buckets, they must be 60 lb or so when full.
My son has a auto repair business, and he fills a bucket in a few months so a tire shop must fill a bucket in a few weeks I would think.

A cubic foot of lead weighs a little over 700 pounds..a 5 gal bucket is about 2/3 of a cubic foot. So depending on how tightly packed the lead wights are...I'll bet it wasn't too many for sure...:eek:

Gentlemen

Thank you all for your comments.
I have 135 ingots with 45 lbs each. 100 of them will be permanently fit and properly stacked side-by-side in the center of the boat exactly on top of the forward portion of the keel. The leftovers of my epoxy resin will be poured on top. The other 35 will put accordingly to trim the boat with ¾ of full load when this floats in the marina, at the travel lift pool.

Thanks

Portuguese

600 lbs. of wheel weights at 2oz each (about average) is 4,800 individual weights.

If your cavity for lead is big enough, why not keep your extra large house AGM battery bank there?
Lots of lead for weight and the batts don't need watering.

Portuguese

Might suggest a battery box,or if you comfortable with it ,fiberglass of sufficient strength?

Back
Top Bottom