Lehr Outboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in! Think a 90hp will hang off the back okay?

I went retro, and bought a 1970's two stroke evinrude from a fresh water county. Looks brand new and rock solid reliable. Smelly and messy, though.

I run 2 strokes as well. If you look for synthetic outboard oil you'll find it biodegradable and it burns clean too. Pull your plugs after a summer and look at them, provided you're using synthetic. They will look clean as new.

The only negative I have seen on Lehr outboards was from a guy we met on our Bahamas trip last year, he bought a 5 hp (?) right before the trip, it ran fine for a bit then wouldn't start. No one over there would even touch it, according to him. Said it ruined his trip as he had no dinghy motor, he was pretty ticked off.

That said, I've dealt with Hopkins Carter both as a customer and as a vendor, I trust everything Parks says, he is a top notch retailer.

The same thing could have happened to a new gas motor, but he could have gotten someone over there (or anywhere in the world really) to work on it. Also, he should have run it a bit more before heading out.

Parts overseas could be a real issue as well.

I run 2 strokes as well. If you look for synthetic outboard oil you'll find it biodegradable and it burns clean too. Pull your plugs after a summer and look at them, provided you're using synthetic. They will look clean as new.
The Royal Purple oil has created huge problems in the mid range outboards after being sold as the perfect alternative.

Bob, I'm glad you got one. I think you'll enjoy it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call me.

I heard another story about a new 5HP unit that wouldn't start from Hopcar himself. Seems that new engines need "burped".

Thanks Doug, that was nice of you to say.

I'd bet money that the fellow who had trouble starting his Lehr had air in the line. For some reason they don't have the procedure to bleed the lines in the owners manual. If you get air in the line when installing the bottle or worse yet the long hose, you can pull your arm off before it will start. It takes less than a minute to bleed the air if you have the right tool, (paper clip) and know the trick.

A good dealer will test run the engine, show you how to bleed the air and adjust the idle before he turns it over to you. On my own engine, if it doesn't crank by the third pull I bleed the lines. Then it starts on the second good pull.

There is a phone number on the tiller that you can call if you ever have a problem. They can usually suggest a fix over the phone.

Hi Larry, I wouldn't be surprised that the instructions are in the manuals now. I know they heard from me about it and I'm sure every other dealer. At the boat show they told me that they were making a little plastic tool to bleed the lines with that will be included with the engines in the future. A paperclip works fine. I have a little piece of stainless safety wire I keep under the hood if I ever need to bleed mine.

Tom, The vaporizers that Eric was referring to are much larger than the ones on Lehr outboards. Propane has an odorant added that really stinks so you know if there is a leak. You almost never smell propane when dealing with a Lehr in normal use.

I'm guessing that when your engine slowed down the little bottle was about half full. Until the bottle is down by half it supplies liquid propane to the engine which is converted to vapor in the vaporizer. When the bottle gets down to half full it starts supplying vapor directly to the engine. Usually you won't notice any difference. If the can gets really cold, the liquid propane in the tank can't boil fast enough to supply enough vapor to run the engine at full speed.

Here's the spot to bleed the air from the line to the tank. Just push something like a straightened paper clip through the small hole for a couple seconds. Thanks to HopCar I knew you have to get the propane to 'push' the air out of the line, and it fired up right away :)

Our 9.9 is an emergency kicker and hasn't been used for its intended purpose...

Attachments

• Lehr air bleed.jpg
    Lehr air bleed.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Lehr air bleed (close).jpg
    Lehr air bleed (close).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 103
It takes less than a minute to bleed the air if you have the right tool, (paper clip) and know the trick.

Yes, the right tool, and I want to offer this custom high grade stainless bleeding tool as a one time special to TF members. Send $$$ and a self-addressed stamped envelope to the service address today. But wait! If you order right now, I'll include another bleeding tool absolutely free. You only pay shipping and handling! And as an extra bonus, I'll include a custom SS work-paper retainer (perfect for cleaning and organizing those paper nightmares at the office and home). Offer limited. Order now.

Attachments

• Bleeding tool.jpg
    Bleeding tool.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 334
Hi Murray, I used your nice photo over on the Cruisers Forum to explain the same thing just today.
The little screw above the plate in Murray's photo is the idle speed adjustment.

You're a dangerous man Larry.

Larry,

That's the same tool I used to reboot old Mac's.

Tom

Hi Guys, I just spent five days working the Lehr booth at the Miami boat show. The comments in this thread so far seem right on target. The run time that Tom reports for the five on the one pound bottle is very believable. It falls right below what the factory claims, they say 1/2 hour at WOT.

I own a 2.5 that I use to push two inflatables and I'm very happy with it. I switched to propane to replace a gasoline engine that drove me crazy cleaning the carb each time I wanted to use it.

I'm building a 14 foot skiff that I plan to put a 9.9 or 15 on.

The advantages I see to propane are that it is so clean to handle and burn, it never gums up the carb, the spark plugs stay clean, the oil stays clean, it pollutes much less, and you can store it forever without it going bad and it's normally cheaper than gasoline. Oh yeah, propane engines are real easy to start.

The engines run so clean that we were allowed to start one in the convention center. None of the gasoline engines could do that.

The only draw back I see is that propane isn't available on every corner.

My experience is that I can get about 2 to 2-1/4 hours out of a 1 pound can at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. It will empty it in about an hour at WOT. The literature says 2.5 hours.

I usually use one of the 11 pound fiberglass tanks. In theory I could get 22 hours or more from that tank.

Lehr is offering boat show rebates for the rest of the week for motors bought from dealers at the Miami show. $100 on the 2.5, $125 on the 5.0 and $150 on the 9.9. In addition I know of one dealer who had boat show special prices.

Tom I'd like to talk to you about your propane conversion for the Honda 2000i. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

There is also US Carburetion ... Or similar... That converts Yamaha generators to propane/gas too... Google...

-Chris

tpbrady,
I used that same tool to set my clock on cars. Better buy from Larry though as he's one of us.

I tested two 5.0 Lehr motors today. One started on the first pull the other took two pulls. Both were dead cold right out of the box. I did use one of Larry's magic tools to bleed the air first.

Installed one on the dink yesterday. Two pulls and off to the races. Very happy so far. Jill had her turn today and and no problems for her either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom