Paravanes, Steadying Sail or Both

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have the exact same boat that just doesn't have the mast?

If so..maybe the reinforcement might already be there...just no mast/rigging.

If you get to a large enough sail area...the I'm sure a compression post or similar construction would be necessary...just a question of how much and where you want to put it.

If I ever wanted to set something like that up...no matter what it took, I would want a tabernacle to lower it easily. It's so nice to keep going and not worry about timing bridges. I can lower my mast to make a half dozen of so bridges on the ICW and the flexibility in moving schedule is greatly appreciated. My boat doesn't have a tabernacle but I can still get my mast down in about 10 minutes with the aid of my power winch I added last year.

Yes, the 35 & 36 hull are the same. I don't have the "iron shoe" bolted to the keel.It looks like the mast is stepped from the salon roof, and there are side stays to port & starboard. I agree I would want a tabernacle. I'm not sure I will do this, but it does look like it would be fun. Since there weren't too many made, I doubt I will find any more information. I may have to ask Ed Monk if he still has any drawings and would be willing to part with them, if he's still active. The Roughwater Yahoo group is very quiet.

Yes, the 35 & 36 hull are the same. I don't have the "iron shoe" bolted to the keel.It looks like the mast is stepped from the salon roof, and there are side stays to port & starboard. I agree I would want a tabernacle. I'm not sure I will do this, but it does look like it would be fun. Since there weren't too many made, I doubt I will find any more information. I may have to ask Ed Monk if he still has any drawings and would be willing to part with them, if he's still active. The Roughwater Yahoo group is very quiet.

yeah...I love sailing but with the price of fuel still reasonable...no mast in my future...though I do keep toying with a bigger mast and boom for work and a steadying sail.

If I ever wanted to set something like that up...no matter what it took, I would want a tabernacle to lower it easily. It's so nice to keep going and not worry about timing bridges. I can lower my mast to make a half dozen of so bridges on the ICW and the flexibility in moving schedule is greatly appreciated. My boat doesn't have a tabernacle but I can still get my mast down in about 10 minutes with the aid of my power winch I added last year.

The Coot has a tabernacle. However, the mast is so overbuilt that four middle-aged men couldn't lift it. We used a crane to put the mast in vertical position.

img_214109_0_e3c3b0b17afdf1ff3cff6f8e9d785887.jpg

Last edited:
Another yellow roof!

attachment.php

The Coot has a tabernacle. However, the mast is so overbuilt that four middle-aged men couldn't lift it. We used a crane to put the mast in vertical position.

I guess I should have been more specific and stated "tall tabernacle"...I got used to calling anything that didn't allow significant mechanical advantage a "hinged mast step". Which is what I have and have to use the boom and winch to get my advantage and do it myself instead of something a little simpler.

With your boat’s hard chimes and displacement you might not need and/or want them. You might find that your boat already has good stability and a comfortable ride. I been thinking about putting them on the Eagle, have already installed a new stronger mast, bought the fish and poles, and I might have the shop make the side/hull chains plates. However, I have decided to added passive twin keels first as the Eagle already has good stability and a nice easy comfortable ride.

I will not install the paravanes until we start doing some coastal cruising or they are needed. Anyway I would wait until you know if they are needed or not. A local fabrication shop can make the fish/poles/and rigging, and then a sail boat rigger could help with the final install. We have several commercial fish boats in the area that have them, but most do not use them when under way.

We have a steady sail that I find has no effect and not worth the time. Maybe not big enough? I have used it when at anchor to lessen the swing. However the Eagle does not swing that much as the pilot house is about the middle of the boat and the full deep keel. It seems the further back the super structure the less the boat will swing, like a explore/expedition with the house at the stern. I have read some article, but don’t know if that is true, but it seems logical the house would act like a vane?

Back
Top Bottom