William Garden designs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
Here's a Bill Garden boat from my neck of the woods. Puffer.

Attachments

• DSCN2499.jpg
    DSCN2499.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 146
Mystic Seaport lists 675 of his designs in their collection. There are a tremendous number and types of boats where he was a pioneer. I guess the nearest to a protege of Garden is probably Greg Marshall.

In Motoryachts, Westport still uses many Garden designs. The Pacific Mariners, both 65 and 85 were his designs and the 85 is still sold. Also the 130 was his design and the 164 is his and Taylor Olson's. I am a big fan of all four of those boats.

For his collection:

William Garden Collection An Inventory of The Collection in the Daniel S. Gregory Ships Plans Library, Mystic Seaport

Also there are some books he authored of his designs with great commentary by him. Just terribly expensive.

Last edited:
My Willard 36 is a Garden design and I can attest to the fact he knew what he was doing.

My Willard 36 is a Garden design and I can attest to the fact he knew what he was doing.

It's great to read some of his ideas. He was eccentric enough to be a genius too. For instance he would go through periods in which he'd refuse to answer phone calls and wouldn't return calls to those he didn't know. He essentially was 20 years ahead on trawlers but then he also disliked what he considered water pushers in other styles, the tendency toward building boats wide and maximizing volume. He preferred performance and thought slim was best for that.

Here is a video of him in his workshop.

Bill Garden's Workshop - YouTube

but then he also disliked what he considered water pushers in other styles, the tendency toward building boats wide and maximizing volume.

Well, I guess my fat Manatee wasn't on his list of desire-ables. I love his designs, none-the-less.

I'm quite sure these are both Garden boats too.

Shot both pics in Petersburg AK.

Brooksie I wish Willard had built a 32' version of the 36.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 483.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 483.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 116
  • STH71649.jpg
    STH71649.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom