View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
Scary
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Vane technology

Vanes don't have to made out of heavy material to work well. When I was thinking about stabilizers I talked with a few west coast fishermen working out of the bay area. Most of them made their own from plywood or Starboard. Some were weighted with lead other had carefully designed in running angle. All of them had worked a little fin that kept them from hunting. I have a friend who had a guy failure and holed his boat. His were made from steel plate. He and his brother bailed with 5 gallon buckets for 24 hours before making Moss Landing.
I have Niad 6ft stabilizers on my boat. They have been absolutely trouble free. They do slow the boat about a 1/2 knot when compared to the same hull without stabilizers. A friend of mine with a Kady Krogen 39 has Niad Stabilizers. When he turns them off his wife comes up and slaps him. Another friend with a Nordhavn 40 has all three, stay sail, paravanes and Niads. Installed in that order.
Captainoftrasea have really hard chines and a fairly flat hull, I would guess that you are going to have a lot of primary stability and really only need stability in really large sea conditions. Low ballast may be more effective.
This is where a good navel architect comes into play.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote