Coolant - scam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The LC50 I found for fish and acquatic invertibrates is 10,000mg/l which in layman's terms is 1 percent or 1 gallon of pure ethylene glycol in 100 gallons of pond water. Hardly worth shooting someone over.

And aircraft deicing fluid is propylene glycol, not ethylene.

I am suitable impressed with some of the intelligence brought to the fore on this forum. Its refreshing to learn from informed sources, and folks that spend the time to get informed details into their postings.

Thanks for the information. I just looked up Type IV fluids and see that Dow offers an EG version that is 50EG/49H20/1 percent additives.

Didn't know that was permitted.

As an aside, at larger airports where a deicing station is provided for large aircraft, about 70 percent of the fluid is recovered so not all of it enters the environment. Even the fluid that does runoff degrades pretty rapidly so its not like it is dumped into the nearest lake as pure raw glycol. The sky might be icy but it's not falling like some would have us believe.

Last edited:
Salt is one of the most poisonous substances out there...yet at certain concentrations the human body and the oceans team with life....

I'm all for "existing and living in harmony" with the environment...I was studying in college about the environment before most people could spell it...too many people are uneducated about what it can/cant take yet obsessed with protecting it.

All of that deciding fluid that sticks to airplanes sloughs off "around" 100 knots, so most of it is on the runway environment or dripping on those houses that live under the departure path. Guess it's better than blue ice....

Salt is one of the most poisonous substances out there...yet at certain concentrations the human body and the oceans team with life....

I'm all for "existing and living in harmony" with the environment...I was studying in college about the environment before most people could spell it...too many people are uneducated about what it can/cant take yet obsessed with protecting it.

How true…perfect example over here in Queensland, where they mandated holding tanks and discharge zones ten years ago, but failed to ensure, with appropriate legislation, that marinas all have pump-out facilities - they therefore don't - work out where that leads...

They did that here too. Politicians.

They have also banned biocides in bottom paint, largely because we don't have a navy. It's not banned in the US and guess where flocks of American boaters go in the summer? Or guess where they have to go to get to Alaska? It also means we have to haul more often and therefore we use more paint. The logic is beyond the level of the average politician/moron. Like the banning of incandescent light bulbs, buying power conservation with mercury. I better stop.

I thought Canada had/has a Navy.

I remember the ships that had a slightly greenish grey color.

Not so?

Maritime Forces Pacific (MARPAC) in Victoria, British Columbia is responsible for generating and maintaining multi-purpose, combat-capable maritime forces prepared to conduct operations in Canadian waters, and in support of national objectives anywhere in the world

Royal Canadian Navy: Home

They did that here too. Politicians.

They have also banned biocides in bottom paint, largely because we don't have a navy.

I dunno where you boat but its obviously not in Georgia Strait.

The US is much more stringent in control of discharges and sewage than we are, yet it's Canada that banned the biocides. I'm thinking its because of the US Navy. The Canadian government has stopped all procurement and the few boats we have are obviously not a maintenance concern as they have banned useful biocides. My comment was meant that the US values it's navy and it's armed forces and would not skimp on maintenance yet ours is merely tolerated and not supported by any sort of workable budget. We still operate Sea King helicopters. For that matter, while I am on a roll, Canada has plenty of lip service but little concrete support for veterans.

The US is much more stringent in control of discharges and sewage than we are, yet it's Canada that banned the biocides. I'm thinking its because of the US Navy. The Canadian government has stopped all procurement and the few boats we have are obviously not a maintenance concern as they have banned useful biocides. My comment was meant that the US values it's navy and it's armed forces and would not skimp on maintenance yet ours is merely tolerated and not supported by any sort of workable budget. We still operate Sea King helicopters. For that matter, while I am on a roll, Canada has plenty of lip service but little concrete support for veterans.

Actually...the US uses it's military and USCG in particular for experimentation...including social experiments that included race and sex integration...in the late 80's the USCG was tasked with finding non-environmentally destructive bottom paint....the USCG tried all sorts of things that didn't work at an enormous expense to the taxpayer through fuel usage and hauling fr cleaning...I know I was the engineering officer at a large regional unit.

The US presidential Helos are Sea Kings...proper maintenance and they have lasted just fine..but are now being replaced.

Sorry it's such a trial for you, Wes. This thread was derailed about 2 pages ago. Maybe you would be more comfortable just staying on the Welcome page?

Sorry it's such a trial for you, Wes. This thread was derailed about 2 pages ago. Maybe you would be more comfortable just staying on the Welcome page?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:.......................

Just as an aside, I'll bet that 90% of the cruiser/trawler boats in the PNW cruise in Canadian waters and they are all liberally dipped in biocide. In fact, I gave a lot of thought to cruising down to Anacortes or Bellingham to get my boat hauled so I can get the real stuff. What finished that off was the crash of the Canadian dollar. Cheap fuel will not cover the 10% that the dollar has fallen, although it's close. Good deal for American cruisers, though. Time to start selling cruise permits at the Customs office?

The Government of Canada, making Canadian boats safe for slime.

This message brought to you by Service Canada. We feel deeply for you.

Time for another coffee.

My boat is kept in Canada with AF applied there too. I've seen no reason to go to Anacortes for a paint job to apply "better" bottom paint. Mine makes it two years or longer between paint jobs with a diver down every 6 months to check zincs etc.

Now regarding coolant, why not do as the engine manufacturer says?

I do. The problem is that the cheap brands that have no brand names contain the same ingredients and come from the same factories as the brand name products that make all the claims and charge the highest prices.

You must know all of the standards that these products must meet as they do not have ingredient lists. I gave the example of cheaper Canadian Tire oil that meets the exact same standards as Rotella. I compared them side by side, and it even turns out the C.T. stuff comes from the Shell refinery. That makes sense as refineries are scarce on the ground and pretty spendy to set up. I think coolant is the same, but I am not sure. Like buying a certain branded oil filter because it's supposed to be superior and finding out its made in a Chinese fireworks factory.

So how about a recap? What coolant besides water should go into my FL120? Water is what's in there now.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

XSBank

Forget about the cost of oil and AF that you could maybe save 15% on. There is real concern to be had over the cost of beer, wine and liquor in the States as compared to Canada.

I just bought a 12 pack of imported very good beer from Holland for $12 at the local Arizona grocery store. And I can walk to the store in 5 minutes. We both know that is about 40% the cost of buying it somewhere in the Lower Mainland.

Or top notch Lindemans from OZ for $8 a bottle only to be beat by Yellowtail for $5.85!

I won't even tell you the cost of a 1.75 liter jug of rum, gin or vodka from Costco.

So you can get really steamed now!:eek::eek:

dhmeissner,
Use 60% distilled water and 40% AF. Use orange if your AF comes in contact w aluminum engine parts ... green if it dosn't.

I considered the fact that you show you're from Seattle.

If you've got tap water in your engine flush at least once w distilled water. Buy in grocery stores by the gallon.

..... IMO

Last edited:
Thanks, I keep my engine room from freezing so I didn't know if I really needed any or not. Guess it can't hurt.:)

Thanks, I keep my engine room from freezing so I didn't know if I really needed any or not. Guess it can't hurt.:)

Really, we should be using the term coolant. Antifreeze Is only one of the qualities. A mixture of PG or EG and water also increases the boiling point. Really it's job is to provide effective heat transfer, lower the freezing point, raise the boiling point and prevent corrosion.

Dave,
You should use some A.F. It contains, or should, anticorrosion agents. Most COOLANTS not only freeze protect but protect against corrosion, in addition to the points N.Spy made.

There are additives that can be put in to protect from corrosion but if you don't use that and don't use A.F. then you will have trouble at some point.

Even though you live in a mild area, consider what would happen if the power went out for a few days in freezing weather. You may not crack the block or lose any 'freeze plugs' since that is a lot of mass but you could damage a heat exchanger.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll do this very soon. We sailed the boat up from the bay area, and I don't believe any type of coolant was ever used down there, but I don't have logs that go very far back. I do have all the manuals so I shouldn't have any problems changing it. I do need to buy a coolant recovery system from AD, since the boat ('74) doesn't have one.

Greetings,
Mr. d. For an interim solution to your coolant recovery tank I have, in the past, connected the overflow tube via plastic tubing to a remote bottle. Keep an eye on the level in the bottle and pour back into the expansion tank as necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom