Fastest Dock Line Handler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Took twice as long as placing an eye over the cleat and doesn't allow crew to tend the line.

Greetings,
Everyone's a critic!!!! Capt. j. I think the "he" is a "she" named Linda. I've performed the same technique (short of the half hitches) numerous times. NOW I'll have to work the hitching into my dock performance.

NOW I'll have to work the hitching into my dock performance.

Clean the Sh*thawk crap off first.

I don't thnk you want to mess with Linda ... she'll whip ya for sure.

The midship cleat first works best for me. After it's secured, there's little need for anything fancy or quick. ... Why do most dockhand volunteers always go for the bow line?

Last edited:
Because it's the first thing they can grab

The midship cleat first works best for me. After it's secured, there's little need for anything fancy or quick. ... Why do most dockhand volunteers always go for the bow line?
This ticks me off as well. I would rather they just stand back and let me position the boat. Once they grab that bow line they take control of the boat and it turns into a Chinese fire drill. If they could get the length correct in theory you could just power against the dock using your rudder to thrust the stern into the dock. But they never get the length right, and they always jerk the bow too close to the dock. My neighbor, bless his sole thinks it's his job to meet me at the dock. I actually try to sneak in so he doesn't help. I don't want to seem like a jerk when people volunteer to help so you end up dealing with it. I always check and adjust all dock lines after landing, some people think nothing is good enough or maybe I don't trust them, ultimately I'm responsible for the boat. Last thing I want is my boat leaving the dock without me. You hit a hot spot.

Why do most dockhand volunteers always go for the bow line?

I've mentioned before, I think it's some quirk of human nature. Almost everyone I have on the boat (other than experienced boaters), no matter how much you instruct them - put a line in their hands and they just have to yank on it with all their might.

Back
Top Bottom