Leaky Fiberglass Fuel Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norseman

Veteran Member
A friend of mine has a 1980 42' Krogen and his port fuel tank appears to be leaking fuel.* It seems as if the fuel has possibly*permeated the tank as it not only*leaks around the bottom of the tank, but he can run a rag down the side of the tank when full and he gets a slight film of diesel.* The leak is not large*or fast*flowing, just*small amounts at various locations under the tank.* The tanks are fiberglass and there is at least one inspection/clean out port near the forward end of the tank.* Has anyone experienced this problem?* Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks
Tom

Locating the leak is*key. it may not be the tank but the vent, fill or return line connecntions to the tank. Eliminate these easier areas first.* FRP tanks 30 years old sound kinda risky though. Lots of ways to install new, it all despends on access. Sometimes the cheapest way is to go through the side of the boat!! Tough choices no matter what.

I would have a custom bladder made , and use the tank to only hold the bladder.

Are you sure the tanks are fiberglass? My 1986 Krogen has steel tanks that are coated on the outside with FG. I had slight weeping like you described and had a local guy open up the tank, clean it and coat the inside with aircraft fuel tank sealer. Still pretty involved but has worked perfectly and no more leaking. He cut new ports in each baffled area so he could access them. Here are some pix.

Attachments

• starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 006.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 006.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 80
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 009.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 009.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 85
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 010.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 010.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 80
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 012.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 012.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 80
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 013.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 013.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 74
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 022.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 022.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 87
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 024.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 024.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 74
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 029.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 029.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 66
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 037.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 037.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 79
  • starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 038.jpg
    starboard fuel tank repair 6-05 038.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 75
From what he can gather from the design specs of the boat, it is a integral fiberglass tank.* The info that he has gathered is that the early Krogens had fiberglass tanks and they switched later to the black iron.

Tom

norseman wrote:

A friend of mine has a 1980 42' Krogen and his port fuel tank appears to be leaking fuel....The tanks are fiberglass....
He's not using biodiesel is he?* I've read that* certain biodiesel formulas*will attack fiberglass fuel tanks.

Back
Top Bottom