Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Winter blast #3.

Ah yes, the joys of liveaboards.

The access road to the marina is a sheet of ice. Just hoping we don’t have a local power failure.

Enough already! KJ

1429-albums131-picture1118.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1119.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1120.jpg

My moms assisted living place just north of Wrightsville was without power this morning...felt guilty calling from Ft Pierce (78 degrees this AM).

Oh KJ, you took your boat South. Why oh why did you ever go back?:D

Scott, are you at the City Marina?

yes ...through the first week in march.

We were planning on leaving today, but will be in town for the weekend for a friend's funera that's been delayed by snowl. Should be in by Tuesday evening. We may stop overnight in St. Augustine to have dinner with my grandson. We're on E dock next to Last Mango. The covers are probably on the dinghy and stern.

We were planning on leaving today, but will be in town for the weekend for a friend's funera that's been delayed by snowl. Should be in by Tuesday evening. We may stop overnight in St. Augustine to have dinner with my grandson. We're on E dock next to Last Mango. The covers are probably on the dinghy and stern.

"I" dock on the west side about half was down...know any of the locals? Seem like a nice crowd...Fri/Sat night get together's seem fun.

"I" dock on the west side about half was down...know any of the locals? Seem like a nice crowd...Fri/Sat night get together's seem fun.

That's a pretty lively crowd over there. They have some sundowners and pot lucks on the patio . Shouldn't be hard to wonder up there. We are over with the charter boats and trainsients. Capt. Tris on the Last Mango looks after Moonstruck. That's the reason we are next to him.

Scott, if you like jazz there is a concert each Tuesay night about 2 blocks from the marina at the Black Box Theater by the Sunrise Theater. Locals, but sometimes really good. About a $5 cover. Of course the Sat. morning Farmers and Jazz markets are really good. Stop by the office and ask Ann Maura to give you a schedule of the happenings. It is a really good place.

Good Italian place about 2 blocks up Orange Ave. Yellow Fins is good. It's about a 3 block walk straight north of the marina to Bouy 12 restaurant. Pretty good. across the street from it is the Capts. Table that is good for breakfast. The bakery just south of Orange Ave. is good.

There is a really good inlet, and we love the place. Have a great time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already have or plan to hit what you have suggested...have 2 friends that come down from Jersey to the area...last week I had a loaner convertible car...I know tough life...:D

Have enjoyed it so much..already thinking of booking February of next year....:thumb:

KJ: If you ever were curious about what it's like to own a boat of considerably greater tonnage, now you know.:)

Might be a good idea to skate out on deck from time to time and check to see where your boot stripe is.

You guys south of the 49th complaining about weather are wimps ;)

Attachments

• Winter Toronto.jpg
    Winter Toronto.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 134
You guys south of the 49th complaining about weather are wimps ;)

Or smart..have my Arctic and Antarctic Serivice Medals to show I was only a temporary wimp....:socool:

now its 80 degrees, Pina Coladas, Bikinis, and fish jumping...to me that beats that snow/ice crap hands down....:thumb:

Or smart..have my Arctic and Antarctic Serivice Medals to show I was only a temporary wimp....:socool:

now its 80 degrees, Pina Coladas, Bikinis, and fish jumping...to me that beats that snow/ice crap hands down....:thumb:

I prefer my beer cold ....

Attachments

• 8 ICE.jpg
    8 ICE.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 139
IMG_141855966463253.jpeg

IMG_437617689845494.jpeg

IMG_278253362078689.jpeg

IMG_617185016554867.jpeg

IMG_150748965889197.jpeg

From some photographers around my neck of the woods. Third one down is my home and dock on the very left of the picture.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Trawler

Last edited:
How do you keep your lips from sticking to the bottle/can? :rofl:

Greetings,
Mr. b. You have to remember this is NOT a usual winter. Few to no cities in the south have any snow clearing equipment, nor salt nor grit to spread on the highways or byways. Folks might be exposed to winter driving conditions every ten to twenty years and as a result have no experience driving on skating rinks. So calling people wimps is not really fair is it? Have you got snow grip tires on your vehicle? I doubt the average driver here could even recognize one.

Winter here:

img_213027_0_2d5100c634c86b0249d797af18d87d94.jpg

(As of yesterday.)

Greetings,
Mr. b. You have to remember this is NOT a usual winter. Few to no cities in the south have any snow clearing equipment, nor salt nor grit to spread on the highways or byways. Folks might be exposed to winter driving conditions every ten to twenty years and as a result have no experience driving on skating rinks. So calling people wimps is not really fair is it? Have you got snow grip tires on your vehicle? I doubt the average driver here could even recognize one.

RT, you are right. it has been bad all over. My brother filled his 1Ton truck pan full of snow 5yrs ago and drove south as far as he could until it all melted and decided that was the place he was going to live. No more Canadian winters. He had enough. This year however he filled his truck again and brought it back.

Greetings,

What's a vehicle ? Do you mean like my boat in the photos :)

Now just a darned minute, RTF, I keep a studded snow tire as a spare for just such occasions. Also keep my Mother's ashes in the trunk in case I get stuck.;)

By the way, I think you ought to change your Avatar for your 3000th post.

Greetings,
Mr. h. Holy crap. Never noticed the post count. I'll try to find a different snap. Thanks.

A couple more Winter shots from some excellent photographers around home.

Attachments

• Petty Harbour.jpg
    Petty Harbour.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Snow.jpg
    Snow.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Snow2.jpg
    Snow2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 114
  • Red Fox.jpg
    Red Fox.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Good morning Snow.jpg
    Good morning Snow.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Ocean with Snow.jpg
    Ocean with Snow.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Snow3.jpg
    Snow3.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Norris Arm.jpg
    Norris Arm.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 103
you guys that live in the frozen north are nuts.....

having my choice between the two below pics is a no brainer..

headed down to the BVI next week so the Admiral can work on her tan..

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• Good morning Snow.jpg
    Good morning Snow.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 294
  • images2.jpg
    images2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 250
I havent seen a real live bikini in 30 years.

Heading south one of these days.

SD

Did I see a fox in one of those pictures?:hide:

My boat was frozen in solid 2 weeks ago. Solid. No rocking or moving at all when I climbed aboard. But the bilge heater was running fine and all seemed well.

Wow RT 3000 posts.

How many keystroks is that.

That's why Marin went away.

Holy cow I just saw my post at 2995. Do we get a membership in some sort of club.

wasn't it Groucho who said I wouldn't be in any club that had me as a member or something to that effect.

SD

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic of shoveling snow of the davit....:D

Attachments

• image-1665709448.jpg
    image-1665709448.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 120

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom