Old 02-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #18
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
The moderators split this off from another thread. Perhaps it would have been better placed in OTDE. That said, every last one of the suggestions and options posted thus far have been discussed for many years by interested parties bordering the Great Lakes. It is simply a fact that Illinois has been fighting this tooth and nail. Why??? $$$$, pure and simple. The other side, a solid block of States and Canada, represent the multi billion dollar fishing industry (sport and commercial), environmentalists, property owners and tourist towns bordering the lakes, and the Great Lakes pleasure boating community (apparently with the possible exception of some in the transient looper group). Not clear where the Anti-American faction remark comes from. I don't believe there's any debate on the Canadian side. Hoards of jumping carp in the North Channel of Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, the Trent-Severn, the Rideau, and the rivers and tributaries of the Provences isn't particularly appealing. There's a very good chance that's what loopers of the future will face if something drastic isn't done now. The effectiveness of current measures including electric fences is highly questionable...well not so much in the Chicago area. Even if a few get through, a physical closure will preclude a larger infestation and provide time to develop chemical or biological eradication techniques. A targeted poison has finally been developed and implemented in Michigan rivers to kill the larvae of the Lampry eel, which has been threatening the sport fish in the Lakes. That takes money....but more importantly, time. Michiganers for sure aren't very happy about the Chicago holdout. It is political. Surely that's not anti-American.
Agreed....not anti-anything...just 2 reasons to do something or not....

I'd much rather protect a resource (if it truly had hope of working) than worry about the great loop...I never planned on doing the loop anyway (after carefull study it sounds more like a ticket punch than truly enjoyed)but I sure as Shi* plan on cruising the Great lakes it's tribs and just fishing there again in my lifetime....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote