Any nmea / electronic experts here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Class A transmits at 12 watts, Class B at 2. Class B targets are a lot more sensitive to range, obstructions in the line of sight, and poor antenna connections.

Ron,

I am pretty sure the range maximum of 10 miles on the 2150 is just a display limitation as I have displayed targets in CE that were 50+ miles away. (Boat was in the driveway at 800 feet MSL). The target probably had a Class A unit as it was an safety tug servicing the oil platforms in the Cook Inlet.

Tom

Ron, I am pretty sure the range maximum of 10 miles on the 2150 is just a display limitation as I have displayed targets in CE that were 50+ miles away. (Boat was in the driveway at 800 feet MSL). The target probably had a Class A unit as it was an safety tug servicing the oil platforms in the Cook Inlet. Tom
Thanks for that information, I'll check that out on my unit in a couple of months. I usually ran 5 nm because on the river I don't really need info on anything farther than that.

ObThomas, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying but I agree the 2150 is receiving both class A & B targets. I agree also it is sending all this info via nmea to the E80 plotter. However, Raymarine states that the earlier E80 plotter software only supports class A and does not have class B support. I interpret this as there must be some difference in the nmea sentences between class A and B being received by and transmitted from the 2150 to the plotter. Thus the plotter can only display (support) the class A sentences.

I guess it comes down to what Raymarine means by the word "support". But all the plotter does is digest and display the AIS data sent to it. If there is no difference in the nmea sentences, how can the E80 support A but not B?

I hear you on focusing on the AIS connection to the plotter, I feel the same but I tell ya, I've checked the connections and had that wiring harness in & out so many times I can do it in my sleep. I even beeped out each wire from pin to pigtail to ensure continuity on each. If this turns out to be a connection issue I'll fall over dead.

In any case I am out of luck for any further testing until I get the set back and get back to the boat. It would have been nice to have a solution in hand when I got there but alas, it was not meant to be.

Tom raised the point about thinking "total system" and thinking through what you wanted connected to what & why. In my case feeding AIS to the E80 was probably a mistake anyway. It is merely a back up plotter. Properly it should go to my laptop which is what I navigate with and I'm sure the 2150 AIS will play nice with it.

Capt Kangaroo

Consider this: This is all somewhat out of the ordinary in the connection of GPS, DSC, AIS and a chart plotter

Your GX2100 has no GPS and must therefor get its position as a listener from a NEMA connection this would normally be at a default 4800 baud
Your GX2100 can put AIS information out as a talker but the baud rate must match the listener.
Your GX2100 is also a talker for DSC normally at a 4800 baud rate.

For your one port chart plotter you need to program your GX2150 to talk both DSC and AIS both on a baud rate of 38400. You need to also set both your GPS and GX2100 to a baud rate of 38400 for GPS.

Getting all this right can be an accomplishment.

Back
Top Bottom