View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
Off Duty
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
Seams to me that a travel lift and a good wash down or a dip in a tank of something to kill invasive species (i.e. salt water or hot water) could accomplish the same purpose without blocking the great loop.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I fully agree with halting the spread of invasive species, asian carp in this case but will such a barrier, as proposed, be a GUARANTEE of success? What about egg transfer?
Just read Mr. p's post.....wash down or dip....What about water held in the bilge waters? Zebra mussels come to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
From that study:

"According to the study, a complete physical separation would prevent 95-100 percent of Asian carp from entering Lake Michigan."

Seems to me like those carp are going to make it sooner or later, regardless of what the Corp does. It will only take 2 randy carp to make into the lake..
The above statements are correct. Once they're there, they're there, and unless you find a way to eradicate them ALL, you're not going to rid the lakes of them. Essentially we'll spend billions of taxpayer dollars that we don't have (that's a new concept), and there's still no guarantee that it will correct the problem.

I too am in favor of halting the spread of invasive species. I listen to this every time we do the DOI instructors update course, and it's amazing to me, how much damage these things can do to the ecosystem. That said, I'm NOT in favor of overspending on something we "think" will work.

I agree with a haul out and transfer of ALL vessels transiting the area. During that procedure, have an inspection by USGS, USFWS, a State organization or a private eco group., and use whatever kills them to wash down the boat. As for bilge tanks, there has to be a chemical that eradicates the species. Require it to be added to the tanks during/prior to haul out, then pump the tanks prior to reentering the water.

There are some great suggestions here:

1. Continuing current efforts (i.e., the electric barriers) with “No New Federal Action — Sustained Activities.”
  2. Nonstructural control technologies (i.e., education, monitoring, herbicides, ballast water management).
  3. A technology concept involving a specialized lock, lock channel, electric barriers and ANS treatment plants at two mid-system locations in the CAWS.
That are already in use to some degree. Just ramp up the efforts, at a control point(s).

These measure should also eliminate 95-100% of the transfer problem as it pertains to boats, without the huge taxpayer burden and navigational issues. The much larger problem is going to be, how do you get the existing species out of the lakes and rivers??

And as long as we have trailered boats/PWC's travelling between states, with no inspection procedures prior to launching, you're still going to have a potential for introduction.

Personally, I just think it's phenomenal waste of money when other options are available.

JMHO

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote