Duck substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So she be roly poly if the sail is not up? Or all the time?

Depending on conditions, it would be very roly poly without the sail, similar to my boat.
It also has the small bilge keels, which add a bit of roll stabilization. However with a swell on the beam that is in synch with the boat's natural roll timing, putting the sails up would be absolutely necessary. Then it's a totally different boat.

I would love the extra space of a Schucker; especially the easy engine access.

Attachments

• hull survey.jpg
    hull survey.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I have seen a few of these in person and think they look great. The windows and pilothouse doors would be a weak point, but certainly no worse than your average coastal trawler. It would roll a fair amount without any sail when taking seas on the beam as does my boat, but with some sail up it would stiffen considerably. They have good range and a nice layout for a couple.

Larry,
Round like half of a pipe.

Sure looks efficient though.
Eric,

Think you under estimate the keel and ballast she has. Her keel is so wide, you could probably set her on level blocks without jack stands...until the wind comes up.

Ted

AusCan,
I like your swim step and may follow suit if the need rises to the necessary level. The dinghy issue on boats as small as ours is a real problem.

What's the beam on your boat? Looks like she'd be very roomy compared to my Willard.

Ted,
Sounds like more sailboat design influence. Or even using a sailboat hull mould to make a powerboat. Perhaps they just didn't put on the bottom part of t,he keel. I've seen boats w stout bilge keels on the hard w/o jackstands.

Last edited:
I dont think the schucker hull is a whole lot different than these Willards. One of them is easily recognizable. As a 38-43 ft sailing vessel at 3'11" draft, I cant imagine the Schucker is that great except for points off the wind and you would have to be ready to shorten sail pretty quickly when the wind picked up. For comparison, I think the Fisher 37 (motorsailor) draws at least 5'6" None the less, I be the Schucker gets great mileage , even under power alone.
3792507527_cda7511755_o.jpg

taras.jpg

51411d1292784101-troller-yachts-vs-trawler-yachts-48trollerlines.jpg

44964d1278430290-semi-displacement-willard-001.jpg

O C Diver,
The Shucker in your photo used to be kept in our marina in NJ. Very nice boat. he would run it to the Abaco's for the winter each year and then bring it back to NJ for the summer. It probably made that trip 8-10 times.
John
MS390

Has anyone ever been on one of these under sail? If so, how do they sail?

Bligh,
The Willard on top is a Nomad like mine except he still has his FB.
The Willard in the middle is a special 36' .. I believe one of the first ones made (in the 60s). It's a sedan model.
The W30 on the bottom is my boat. That pic was taken just before we bought her. All that teak on the cabin was just screwed on w little screws and no sealer or bedding compound was used. Anticipating our move north to Alaska (nice ring to it eh?) we took off all the cabin teak. Still have it.

The W30 Has a wine glass section. Very different from the Shucker. When I get my computer back (wed) I'll try to ember to post a head on pic of Willy on the grid. Amidships just inbd of quarter beam there is a small area that is almost flat. So W30s are a stiffer boat than the Shucker I'm sure except for the effect of the mast and that is considerable. But I think the shucker is more efficient as it appears to be practically round in cross section. The W30 has a little hook in the far end of the stern that I believe causes some drag. The Shucker has a very fair and clean stern set of lines. It appears very efficient.

AusCan,
I like your swim step and may follow suit if the need rises to the necessary level. The dinghy issue on boats as small as ours is a real problem.

What's the beam on your boat? Looks like she'd be very roomy compared to my Willard.

My beam is 9 ft 2" (2.9m), but the pilothouse is wide leaving me without much for side decks. Would your Willard be about the same beam?

To haul my dinghy, I tie my fender board onto my swim platform, then just roll the dinghy over the aft end of the boat using a couple ropes under and across the dinghy. It works well.

AusCan,
The beam on Willy is 10' 6". Surprised at our difference. You probably still have more room because we've got those side decks.

Don't understand your dinghy arrangement. Sometimes it's hard to put things like that into communicable words.

I am buying a Schucker 436 and would be happy to read any and all things related to these boats. Documentation seems to be hard to come by With these Schucker.
Thanks
BonesD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom