Man Falls Overboard and lives to tell the Tale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charles

Vessel Make
CHB 45 Pilot House
Man overboard lives to tell the tale
Bruce Buls
January 23, 2014 The Jan. 5 cover story of the New York Times Magazine was an excellent account of the rescue of a Montauk, N.Y., fisherman who fell overboard in the middle of the night last July. “A Speck in the Sea,” written by Paul Tough, details the actions taken by John Aldridge, the man overboard, and those looking for him, including Anthony Sosinski, his fishing partner on the lobster boat, the Coast Guard and about 20 volunteer boats.

Aldridge fell overboard while working the back deck of the Anna Mary, a 45-footer, as his partner and another fisherman slept. He was supposed to wake Sosinski before midnight, but he had decided to let him sleep as he prepared to haul pots the next morning.
After he went into the water, Aldridge remained focused on doing the right things to stay alive. He used his upside-down rubber boots as twin flotation devices tucked under his arms. He figured a way to find and hang on to a buoy marking a string of traps. “He’d kept himself alive in a way that few people could, had managed to think and work his way through a situation that, for most of us, would have been immediately and completely overwhelming. And he’d willed himself to live,” wrote Tough.
The problem is that he didn’t do the right things to stay alive before going into the water. He wasn’t wearing a PFD or a personal locator beacon. These omissions prompted some forceful feedback from readers.
Mario Vittone, a retired Coast Guard rescue swimmer and director of VLinc Maritime, posted comments on gcaptain.com, which were also published in the letters section of the Times' magazine last Sunday. Vittone wrote: “I’m beginning to think there is a disease that is caught early in a working fisherman’s life; it’s as if there is something in the scales of fish that wants to pay them back, something that gets under their skin. Once in their blood, it affects the brain and makes them more likely to die than any other group of professional mariners. ... They end up taking risks that other professional mariners successfully avoid every day.”
After almost 12 hours in the water, Aldridge was found by a Coast Guard Jayhawk helicopter crew nearing bingo fuel status (just enough to get home). Aside from being dehydrated and hypothermic, he suffered no lasting ill effects, physical or psychological. He’s back fishing for a living.
Let’s hope he’s wearing a PFD these days.
- See more at: Buls Eye - Man overboard lives to tell the tale - WorkBoat.com

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there are those who are not so fortunate. KJ

Coroner identifies body found in Georgetown river as missing boater
Posted: Feb 10, 2014 5:53 PM ESTUpdated: Feb 10, 2014 6:09 PM EST

GEORGETOWN COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -
Officials with the Georgetown County Coroner's Office say a body discovered on Saturday in the Sampit River near Front Street has been positively identified as a boater who went missing last month.
Authorities say the body was identified as Keith Edward Sullivan, who had been missing since Jan. 12. An autopsy performed at the Medical University of South Carolina shows the cause of death as drowning, with the manner being accidental.
Georgetown County deputies say the United States Coastal Guard recovered the body near Goat Island around 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Authorities say at the time of the discovery, officials believed the body was Sullivan's, who was reported missing on Jan. 12.
Officials say the 45-year-old man had been living on a boat which is anchored in the Sampit River near the town clock on Front Street in Georgetown.
The sheriff's office says Sullivan was last seen on his boat the 'Saga.'
Deputies say articles of clothing similar to those described as being worn by Sullivan were found Jan. 17 on Goat Island at the mouth of the Sampit River.

Is it true that most drowned male boaters are found with their flies open?

LOL...I believe that's where the saying "one hand for yourself, one for the boat" comes from.

Is it true that most drowned male boaters are found with their flies open?

I've heard that too. On one rough passage, I lost footing while using the "aft head". Recovered ok, but it put the fear in me and reinforced that risk. From then on, if it is rough enough to get water on the cockpit deck, it is wet enough to rinse off some pee. So we just pee right on the deck, hanging on to bridge ladder. When it is that rough, the girls generally are inside and don't notice.

It's mainly a tongue in cheek stat from the USCG Boating Safety Statistics about guys drinking in small boats with no life jacket on...then standing with poor balance and a tippy boat to urinate....

.....all the years teaching Boating Safety and I never eyeballed that particular stat published anywhere.

It's mainly a tongue in cheek stat from the USCG Boating Safety Statistics about guys drinking in small boats with no life jacket on...then standing with poor balance and a tippy boat to urinate....

.....all the years teaching Boating Safety and I never eyeballed that particular stat published anywhere.
Pretty sure I have the Canadian stat's on this. Will dig them out tonight...

Yep, beer is the culprit in more ways than one.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom