Another new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

High Wire

Guru
Vessel Name
Irish Lady
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Hello,
I'm a long time power boater owner (41 years). Most have been outboard powered and 2 twin gas FB cruisers. My wife and I enjoy cruising and we spent 7 summer seasons cruising on the Chesapeake Bay. We currently live in Cape May, NJ and spend the winters in Englewood, FL on land.
Ever since the mid eighties, we have always wanted to own a trawler, but my work kept me from having any meaningful time off to get away. I just retired this past summer so that piece is solved. My wife and I seriously are going through the decision process of "can we make it happen without going broke?". I spend 95% of my computer on-line time surfing Yacht World, T&T, and any other boating related sites I can find. The real search begins...

Archie

Thank you.
I forgot to mention that we have chartered trawlers 4 times over the years:
35' Senator
32' Grand Banks
36' Grand Banks
42' Grand Banks MY

Our target for first trawler is 35-40' single engine double cabin.

Welcome aboard! Let the games begin!

Welcome aboard High Wire.

I would love to hear your impressions on the 3 GB's and the Senator you've chartered on how they fit or did not fit into your idea of what you would be looking for in a trawler of your own. Quite a spread of sizes, outfitting and accommodations in your charter group. Which one stands out as the most fun for what you'd like to do?

Thanks for jumping in.

As you look, from my own perspective, you might want to be aware of three things :

1) Comparatively, some people spend very little to be in boating and some people spend a lot. A lot to one is not a lot to another. You do not have to be rich or even well off to do this. Making the leap may seem a bit daunting but you will not regret it or look back. Once you have picked a vessel that you both think you can enjoy, even if it comes in a little higher than you thought, if it is really the right one you will find a way to do the deal. The buyer is still king in today's market. Bid away and don't be embarrassed to bid low. I did and it worked.

2) As you switch from working to retiring, time starts to be worth more than money. It is not just about how long you live but how long both of you remain healthy and active and can enjoy the boat. Go early.

3) The hunt is as much fun as the find. Once you have the basic idea, take the admiral and get on board a bunch of candidates. The more you look the more confident you will be of your own analysis. Some people make want lists, others make fancy matrices, others spreadsheets, some just mental priorities. Whatever works for you, go do it and the confidence gained from exposure will make the leap easier.

Best Wishes

Hello,
I'm a long time power boater owner (41 years). Most have been outboard powered and 2 twin gas FB cruisers. My wife and I enjoy cruising and we spent 7 summer seasons cruising on the Chesapeake Bay. We currently live in Cape May, NJ and spend the winters in Englewood, FL on land.
Ever since the mid eighties, we have always wanted to own a trawler, but my work kept me from having any meaningful time off to get away. I just retired this past summer so that piece is solved. My wife and I seriously are going through the decision process of "can we make it happen without going broke?". I spend 95% of my computer on-line time surfing Yacht World, T&T, and any other boating related sites I can find. The real search begins...

Archie

The next step is to drive down to Rotunda and visit boats and boaters in person. There's many trawlers and sailboats of all marques stored there in two yards side by side. You can see with your eyes how each brand has held up in Florida weather. Just strike up a conversation. If you see a worker-better yet- they will tell you the truth about different brands they work on. THEN -drive over and do the same at Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda. Walk the docks near the restaurant. Weathers great, now is the time. The boaters are out.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard High Wire.

I would love to hear your impressions on the 3 GB's and the Senator you've chartered on how they fit or did not fit into your idea of what you would be looking for in a trawler of your own. Quite a spread of sizes, outfitting and accommodations in your charter group. Which one stands out as the most fun for what you'd like to do?
The Senator was ok. Backing into a slip with that Sundeck was a little nerve racking the first time but got used to it.
The 32 would be great for the 2 of us IF the master berth were a little bigger or at the very least, had a filler section.
The 42 MY had a luxurious master stateroom, but the T/375 Cats drank 10 gph at 6.5 knots at 1300 rpm!!! 235 gal of diesel for only 190 statute miles of cruising +30 for the genny is not what I had in mind when I went for the bigger boat.
The 36 was just right with one exception, my wife hates the master berth off to the side against the bulkhead.

The next step is to drive down to Rotunda and visit boats and boaters in person. There's many trawlers and sailboats of all marques stored there in two yards side by side. You can see with your eyes how each brand has held up in Florida weather. Just strike up a conversation. If you see a worker-better yet- they will tell you the truth about different brands they work on. THEN -drive over and do the same at Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda. Walk the docks near the restaurant. Weathers great, now is the time. The boaters are out.

Funny, we drove down that road Saturday and my wife asked me if I looked in there yet. Its on the to-do list!

Welcome! The GB36 Europa (rare) and the MY have full size berths if I'm not mistaken.

Welcome, the filler makes all the difference in the '32. Almost king size bed wide with it in.

Welcome! The GB36 Europa (rare) and the MY have full size berths if I'm not mistaken.
Good thought. The IG 36 Europa, presumably based on the GB36, has a semi island bed forward(note: you may bang your head above at first). No aft cabin gives a same level usable cockpit.

Back
Top Bottom