Thread: Anchor choices
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #46
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
In time Peter what you think of as "newer generation" anchors will be just old like a Kedge and dreadnought is now. Many will always be better and many will not.

But as much as I dislike the word "generation" (sounds like you're talking about sombody's family tree) when referring to anchors I'll go along for communications sake. The Delta does look a bit like some roll bar anchors but the first RB anchor was the Bugle and it IMO does not resemble the Delta. And Peter I'd say the Delta is much better than "pretty good".

For evolutionary purposes the Delta evolving from the CQR is an obvious shoe in. And of course the Spade is probably related too. But the spade's contribution to anchoring engineering is the research done on the holding power of the concave and convex surfaces in a fluid .. comparatively. An anemometer should have been able to predict the outcome of that comparison but the Frenchman that designed the Spade did a lot of research on that issue. The effects of the results are (to some degree) questionable. The fact that the concave surface is better is not questionable but what that research has done for anchoring is .. to some degree at least. The Frenchman built a concave anchor of very high holding power but there are many anchors that have flat flukes and convex flukes so the Frenchman's contribution to anchor design hasn't turned the anchor world up-side-down.

I have two new generation anchors and 4 or 5 others. I use the old ones almost as often as the new not because I think they are better (they are in some ways) but because I like to switch-an-swap anchors.

Re the Manson Boss I still haven't heard a report on it here on TF or anywhere else. Did Practical Sailor quit doing anchor tests? It appears like it could send all the others back to the drawing board but I've seen others like that that did'nt so it looks like there's not even a jury yet on the Boss.

Brooksie,
THAT IS A LOT OF ANCHORING !!!!
And you managed to do that with out a new generation anchor? I am even looking at my old anchors w new respect. Do you have more to add on your anchoring experiences?

North Western Washington State USA