Which helm should have radar display?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We operate from the bridge 98% of the time. All the electronics are there; radar, GPs, sounder, etc. I like the better all around visibility from the elevation provided by the bridge. Since we have canvas, etc weather is not that big a problem. If it is so ugly that we can't run things from there, I'm not sure we should be out there.

We operate from the bridge 98% of the time. All the electronics are there; radar, GPs, sounder, etc. I like the better all around visibility from the elevation provided by the bridge. Since we have canvas, etc weather is not that big a problem. If it is so ugly that we can't run things from there, I'm not sure we should be out there.

Agreed from another flybridge operator.

Depends where you cruise. In the ditch or bays I am on the FB, in the Gulf or anywhere there is a bit of a sea, on my rolly polly, I am at the lower helm. As I can see from the FB and not so much from the lower helm, that's where my radar is. I do run offshore at night to go fishing and again am normally inside. So I guess it boils down to where you are sitting when you need radar...and in our part of the Gulf, you do need radar!

If it's nasty enoug out to need radar, you don't want to be out in it anyway.

Lower helm.

SD

Concur but with a few exceptions:

1. An enclosed FB with a hard front window makes is pretty bearable up top in most weather.
  2. Looking from the highest vantage point for ice and debris in foggy calm waters such as Alaska or BC. Ditto crab pots in NE.
  3. Twilight conditions
  4. Good cruising weather but using radar with MARPA and AIS overlays in busy shipping channels
BTW, our NN3 MFD 12 on the upper helm was cheaper than a daylight viewable screen only, so why not have radar capability up top?

Last edited:
Each one of those furuno 19" glass bridge displays are 8k. FOR JUST THE SCREEN! Another 8-9k for each blackbox that's feeding each display, radar, ais, sounder, etc,etc. Crazy!

Which is why some are still buying the very capable NN3s for 1/3 the cost, or less. And with two NN3s and ALL the associated toys, a black box is not required, only a Hub101. I have a quote in front of me to permit pull up of all Furuno NN3 data on a Trident based laptop for connection costs less than $1000.

Options galore and big screens and TZ touch can be nicely avoided if one wants to add on to NN3. Or get a different lap top and go with touch screen for chart plotting using the latest Max Sea, Navionics etc just like your IPad.

Bottom line, the cost is in the daylight viewable screens, especially those with touch capability. With versatile older NMEA 2000 charting and radar gear almost anything is possible without spending the big bucks TZ touch and its competitors would like you to spend.

We have a Raymarine units. On then bridge L760 chartplotter and the lower helm RL80C plus radar. They are supposed to talk to each other but dont. So no radar on bridge and no chartplotter at lower helm. I love driving from the bridge( I know some of you guys dont get it :nonono:). The bridge has an enclosure. I made my first night run down the Chesapeake a few years ago. It was a pitch black night. At about 0100 a pilot hailed us and ask for my intentions. Being new to this game I didnt know what he wanted so he called again. I was hugging the eastern shore markers thinking all things were good in the world and basiclly told him that was my intentions. Well he informed me that wasnt a good idea because that was what the freighters do in that area of the bay. About that time I turned around and could see his mast lights bearing down on me at 20+ knots. Holly crap, I could have got run over.
The pilot was headed south and just minutes away was another frieghter heading north in the same area. After they passed I headed for the western shore. This eliminated the freighter risk but posed another risk with barge traffic.

I will be upgrading electronics soon and will put redundant function at both helms which will include, radar, chartplotter and AIS.
I will know the big fellas name next time before he hails me:)

Dan, I have a 5212 Garmin touchscreen on my FB helm station, and your idea of using a monitor in the lower helm peaked my interest. What type connection did you use for the output of the 4012? I have the Garmin HD radar on the 5212, and on occasion, would like to have that available in the lower helm. Thanks, Chuck Smith

I used the supplied VGA video cable to get the VGA out. Then long VGA cable to monitor. I plan to heat shrink over connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

One key to using radar effectively is to frequently use it in clear daylight conditions so you can practice controlling it plus understand and visualize what it is telling you; the upper bridge is really the ideal place for this exercise for the extra eyeball range it gives you. I don't like running at night, but when I do prefer the FB (unenclosed in our case) for better visibility; in fog and storms then the lower helm for sure. So I found a lot of value in being able to have it and control it in both places.

Sure liked the Furuno black box system using large monitors; using a VGA splitter we could have the FB unit displayed down below.. extremely handy in dense fog. Can set the FB to full chart plotter display and the lower to full radar, which is what you are paying closest attention to. Personally don't like the clutter of overlay.

1460786_29.jpg

P1010032.JPG

Back
Top Bottom