Tugboat Bob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Today I had the unusual experience of meeting a tug on the Napa River, tugboat Bob. At first glance it looked not unlike the normal "pusher" tug, but upon examining photos later at home I noted an A-frame near the bow. I'm curious to know the purpose of that A-frame.

img_176689_0_c561fb3c25d85f04892b8093edd3919e.jpg

img_176689_1_4bf93aeac34be8c6b697783089651f49.jpg

img_176689_2_2cd161116b53c91c0fc14ae9d899c5ca.jpg

Last edited:
A dredge tug has an a frame to raise and lower the anchors.

Maybe it is set up for some kind of salvage work. Typical push boat around here has a lot more cabin area not as much deck space. The back looks like a crew boat and the front looks like barge. Strange indeed.

Many small dredge tenders like this on the AICW. they are general workboats performing all tasks associated with dredges/ dredge pipe/ moving anchors etc. Usually have very skilled underappreciated operators at the helm.

I'm curious to know the purpose of that A-frame.
I think the A-frame is used for snatching up small metal boats and the pusher frame just shoves them up on the beach. :D

Doesn't look like it could clear the push knees to lift anything on deck or even have room to sit it down in front of the A frame...so I'm not sure it's suitability for salvage.

On the East coast...most of the dredge A frames are on barges with a lot of room for anchors/mooring buoys.

If you need more...looks like here's the company that runs it...

Harbor Tug Bob

Mark, you should have hollered across to the deckhand and asked him.
I haven't got a clue.

A dredge tug has an a frame to raise and lower the anchors.

That makes sense. When I first spotted the tug it had just left the old Kaiser pipe plant. Moments later I saw a dredge barge tied up to the shore. Don't know why the barge would be left there (maybe to go home for the holiday?), but I presumed Bob had left it there as tug traffic on the river is minimal.

img_176748_0_04ee457b1c63ee678a195d0b472bf7d6.jpg

Last edited:
Similar to the Dredge tugs we would see growing up in the Tampa bay area

That A-Frame rig is used to pull vertical pipe out of bottom which is used as a temporary hold for most anything you can name, including dredge pipe, barges, etc.

That's my guess...:angel:

These tugs don't need to lift anchors above the push knees or deck. When they are engaged in anchor work (for moving dredges), they hook into wire on anchor buoy Wire(which goes through buoy to anchor) and it is winched in enough to lift off the bottom. The tug proceeds as directed by the dredge, while dredge is slacking their winch wire. The tug then sets the anchor, and disconnects from the wire/buoy. After all anchors have been set, the dredge can move several hundred feet on its own by slacking some wires and tightening others.
If you see pipe laying barges, this is how they move the rig as the pipe is layed. Often these same dredges will have "spuds"also. The anchors work in water thaat is to deep for the spuds, or when they need to move in several directions frequently.
This style of tug with the long fore deck is known as a "lugger" tug. They are used in the Gulf coast frequently as multi purpse boats. When they don't have the a frame setup that this boat has they will put pipe, supplies or a 20' container box to resupply inshore oil rigs.
The tug that I run was built as an Anchor handler. Although we don't do much anchor handling lately. It did hold the record in the late 70's as doing the deepest/heaviest anchors in the Gulf of Mexico.

Great pictures and information SoF. The drawings showing the drive shaft/line - going uphill, that then powers a hydraulic pump? A few details on this system would be a fun read.

Company

Look up azimuthing drives ...

Attachments

• TUG_LNG-azimuth1.jpg
    TUG_LNG-azimuth1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 403
Back
Top Bottom