Refit on a 1977 38' Californian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Attachments

• cali1.jpg
    cali1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 187
  • cali 2.jpg
    cali 2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Very nice looking vessel. First time I've noticed Cummins in a Californian. When I saw the white carpet, I immediately thought, "What were they thinking?"

Looks like all the wood has been varnished. Wish I had those counters!

Beautiful, did a great job putting it together. However my wife and I were looking at it - more than two, where to you eat? You could put a chair in the corner, two could eat at the counter but really, four - no room to eat inside in the salon. Big mistake as most like to have company to enjoy their boats. If someone knows that they rarely have company than this would be a real nice couples cruiser or single.

The same could be said for the 34 LRC. I keep a 2'x4' folding table in the lazarette for times like this. We set it up with a couple of folding chairs to add the capacity when needed. (Don't tell the Admiral, but it also performs nicely as a fish-cleaning table!)

I thought the same, but if they had a table and chairs, maybe they took them out to keep or to make the salon look larger. But then again, this is southern California so maybe they entertain on the flybridge when they have guests? The salon is totally modified, ceiling to floor and I never saw a 38' in 1977 with this galley configuration. The starboard stern galley was an option in the 42's, The salon dash and electrical panel are total upgrades, electronic shift and throttles, etc.

The flybridge is also totally modified, the flybridge enclosure was extended and canvas enclosure added, the side seating, helm seat, controls, electrical breaker panel, console gauges and panel all upgrades.

The forward and aft cabins look very stock with the exception of aluminum frame windows in the aft cabin.

I would love to see the 210 Cummings engine installation. 420 hp vrs 370 hp with the Perkins probably helped it get up a little quicker. Somebody dumped a whole lot of money into this boat!!!

Last edited:
The chances of getting any of it back are questionable. Right now the boat market here in SoCal is dismal.

For those of you who are familiar with this model, is there room on the port forward side of the main salon to install a raised dinette for 4 or six? I can't tell from the pictures if the cabin is too small. Whoever refitted the boat went all out.
I talked to the broker and he said none of the tanks were replaced. Would this be an issue?
The boat looks great to me from the pictures and seems like the only thing it needs is windows and carpet.
I was thinking of going to look at it next weekend. 2 new engines is a hard thing to pass up at least looking at even if I need to refit the main salon.
Scott

With the kitchen bar in there I would doubt it. Maybe room for a fold up table and a couple of chairs. They probably shot that picture with a 28mm lens and it makes the space look bigger than it really is!

My tanks are original too and no leaks or problems. The way the tanks are situated in cradles under the two beds in the stern they don't touch the hull and the outsides of the tanks stay nice and dry. It also depends on the presence of water in the tanks and whether they were kept full. With proper care they will last a very long time. If there is a problem or you just want to have them cleaned out, empty them, disconnect the hoses and they lift right out. They were standard with two tanks and an option for two more, for a total of about 500 gallons.

From the pictures looks like a nice boat!! :thumb:

Last edited:
Restored Californian

I too have been following this listing and the corresponding price drops. This guy obviously put a lot of dough into this. The repower w/ Cummins is very appealing. Not replacing the tanks was a red flag/question mark.
The salon arrangement is somewhat troubling. The ad does mention a new 4k leather sofa that is nowhere to be seen in any of the pics. I'm new to all of this but it seems strange to have a boat with the capacity to sleep so many and have such a small living/dining space. Maybe this was just a sunset cruiser? Anyway, I like Bligh (Scott's) idea of just redoing the salon--shitcan the white carpet and reconfigure it all. After all, it has new refrigeration, sink, ect. that could be incorporated into whatever your needs may be, and with all the work done, seems like you'd still be way ahead dollar wise.
What do you think this boat is going to sell for, something like 40/50 cents on the dollar?
Todd

The broker douched me. I called him a couple weeks ago about the boat. I wanted to see it, but he was out of town. He never called me back. I left him several messages after he was supposed to call me back. Finally he answered a text saying the boat just went into contract. He said he'd call me if it fell through but so far he has not been reliable.

Apparently the current owner bought it already refitted and now has to leave the state for personal reasons. That explains the price drops unless there is something else wrong with the boat. Who knows, maybe it burns 4 gallons a mile or something, but I imagine its OK and the owner just needs to get rid of it.

I too have been following this listing and the corresponding price drops. This guy obviously put a lot of dough into this. The repower w/ Cummins is very appealing. Not replacing the tanks was a red flag/question mark. Todd
Don't let the fuel tanks bother you. Remember on a 38' - 42' Tricabin Californian LRC, the fuel tanks are in cradles under the aft cabin bunks, not in the bilge. If you're handy at all, lift up the mattress board, remove the fuel and hoses, lift out the tank. . . other than time, your only expense would be the cost of a 125 gallon tank X how many you need to replace, either two or four max!! One person can easily remove the empty tanks through the aft cabin door.

I was the owner who retrofitted the boat

I designed and installed all of the upgrades.
There were no issues with the fuel tanks. I also installed a fuel transfer and polishing system.
The max speed ever recorded was 16 knots. I could push 12 all day and night with the B210's
There used to be a small sofa in the salon. I never was able to finish the salon.
Typically entertaining was done on the bridge or outside. 3 people could sit at the bar an eat comfortably.

I personally repowered the boat, designed, welded and installed the foundation and mounted the engines.

Feel free to ask me questions

Good to have you aboard, Rfleckenstein. Nice refit there...it shows you've got some skills! The salon looks very updated and comfortable and the ER very orderly.

A couple of questions...

1. Did you replace the wood salon floor support structure with steel members in the ER?

2. I also have a 1977 Californian, but mine is a 34 LRC. I see they both have the full-width overhead panel at the lower helm for electronics and switching. Was this on the boat when you bought it or did you install it? They seem very rare in Californians.

Thanks and welcome!!

38' and 42' Tricabins main salon floors all start to sag in the center after a while, mine included. There are no solid timbers that run from side to side to support the floor and no vertical center post supports. I have a steel post running from the stringer, in front of the port engine, to the floor joist to level the floor on mine.

Engine Room Supports and Electrical Panel

I installed additional support for the floor. I used SS unistrut and unistrut fittings so that the supports could be removed if necessary. I am trying to find a picture to post. I did the retrofit in 2008 so it may take some time to find.

I replaced the electrical panel. I made a new one and over the years made several changes. I was unable to complete the final version which would have been a touch screen panel with user modes, like at anchor or underway. Each mode would automatically shed load or add load depending on typically needs.

Please feel free to ask me anything about any of the systems. I do miss the challenges and rewards, don't miss the expense though!

I installed additional support for the floor. I used SS unistrut and unistrut fittings so that the supports could be removed if necessary. I am trying to find a picture to post. I did the retrofit in 2008 so it may take some time to find.

I replaced the electrical panel. I made a new one and over the years made several changes. I was unable to complete the final version which would have been a touch screen panel with user modes, like at anchor or underway. Each mode would automatically shed load or add load depending on typically needs.

Please feel free to ask me anything about any of the systems. I do miss the challenges and rewards, don't miss the expense though!

Well, she just recently sold again. Whoever has her sure has a nice boat. I tried to buy it, but had no luck with the broker. He was one of those guys who was a broker/diver/delivery skipper/mechanic/boat detailer and he never made time for me to see the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom