Duck substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I like the DD boats but they are way too expensive for now. Could this be considered as a "starter duck"? image-3587814940.jpg Maybe more sailor than trawler, but the 3.5' draft is interesting. Seems to have decent living space.

Thoughts? Anyone been one one of these?
Could a family of four spend a week on one?

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/listing/photoGallery.jsp?boat_id=2024652

Last edited:
Looks pretty tight compared to other trawlers. If kids not yet teens maybe ok. I have always chosen to buy used boats rather than new, as I am good at restoring things and am comfortable doing so. This particular boat has a nice helm setup. Scary to me was not finding engine room photos. Also motor sailors are known for compromises. Location of photos makes me wonder about the Tom Fexas "pool sandwich" effect. This is where boat just stays in your back yard. Know your goals.

Looks pretty tight compared to other trawlers. If kids not yet teens maybe ok. I have always chosen to buy used boats rather than new, as I am good at restoring things and am comfortable doing so. This particular boat has a nice helm setup. Scary to me was not finding engine room photos. Also motor sailors are known for compromises. Location of photos makes me wonder about the Tom Fexas "pool sandwich" effect. This is where boat just stays in your back yard. Know your goals.

It looks like the marina pictures were taken at Fort Myers City Marina. The canal pictures at Punta Gorda which is directly on Charlotte Harbor. This is a very good sailing and cruising area. You never know how the owner used the boat, but it is located in a good sailing area that the shallow draft would be appreciated.

That area is only about a 160 mile sail to Key West or the Dry Tortugas. Easily reachable in about 36 hours. The motorsailer part would be nice when the wind dies down.

Last edited:
Starter Duck?

I'd say yes. You may even find it better. Certainly better looking.

With the low helm visibility being poor underway looking fwd and visibility everywhere poor I'd not choose it for me but ... If you can accept the visibility (or lack of) and the expense of two propulsion systems this boat would make an excellent trawler.

My Willard has 3.5' draft.

Last edited:
That's a Schucker. I've got the baby sister and have been well pleased with her. They have lots of storage and there is a Yahoogroups for the Schucker brand. You might have heard of "Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" -- Bruce Van Sant chose a Schucker as his last boat.

They are not perfect but after six years, I've only found one thing "wrong" -- the fuel pick-up lines were (past tense/fixed now) inaccessible. Two access ports (Beckman plates) solved that issue.

There is WONDERFUL access to the engine. The builder actually understood that at some point you'd be changing impellers, doing maintenance, etc. Large panels come off. And the deck comes up for full access on Seaweed. Ditto the one big girl I was aboard.

I like them.
Try yahoogroups for a Schucker list. It's worth joining --not a lot of traffic but if a question comes up, lots of experience ready to help/offer advice.

We have been on a couple of Shuckers. The inside area is pretty livable and very open. Going to weather, they are more comfortable with the helm further back than some pilot house trawlers. For coastal and the Caribbean I think it is a good boat but not really designed for off shore IMHO. Shuckers are not overly built.

We have been on a couple of Shuckers. The inside area is pretty livable and very open. Going to weather, they are more comfortable with the helm further back than some pilot house trawlers. For coastal and the Caribbean I think it is a good boat but not really designed for off shore IMHO. Shuckers are not overly built.

Ahh, so not really a baby DD then if it's no good off shore.

Not offshore

I have personally looked at the boat in the picture. I also own a 40' Shucker. Great boats but not for offshore use in my opinion. Windows are not strong enough and the cockpit is way to big. Holds lots of water before it drains and takes too long to do so. Very fuel efficient boats drawing 3'2" with single engines and they do sail. Heavy Hulls and 14' of beam. Here is a picture of my boat.
Not sure if I downloaded the picture or not.

Personally, I like it. From the looks of it i dont see a problem with visibility from the helm. It seems pretty high up.. It probably gets great mileage, especially with a sail or two or three up. It might not bee a blue water boat, but very very few trawlers are anyhow. As a member of a family of four, I wouldnt hesitate to gunkhole around for a few weeks on that boat. I especially like the rear cockpit that would make a great fishing station and would be safe for kids. mst motorsailors have a flush deck back there. As someone else pointed out though, it could use some large scuppers to allow water egress faster in bad weather. The only reason shucker isnt on my shortlist is that most were designed for two or four (also like most trawlers) and we will need to sleep 6 at times.
Check it out and tel us what you think!
Scott

Try again
I'm not really a big offshore guy so don't know squat yet-- so this is no more stable or safe off shore than a regular trawler? I would think the good size sail a would give some stability, but I didn't really consider the water not shedding easily.

I like the back up sail idea, and I think they are cool looking boats! Found one for $59k asking price that needs some "TLC". That sounds scary... :-(

Last edited:
Schucker was also one of my favorites. The only sail boat that ever got me to thinking I might switch to the light side was a Schucker 40. The engine access was impressive, well thought out. Inside height seemed good, layout was decent, and I actually preferred the head and shower in the bow. I never got an opportunity to sea-trial one but if a nice looking Schucker would have been available at the same time as my boat, I'd still have bought the Manatee, if for no other reason, just to save the inconvenience of the bridge clearance.

As Janice mentioned, Bruce Van Sant cruised his "trawlerized" Schucker in the Caribbean for a number of years. Here is his website - may open up some possibilities.

Schucker 440 Motorsailer Tidak Apa

Here's what they look like out of the water. I saw this in storage over in Rotunda Fl. back in October. She appeared to be in excellent condition, but I don't think was for sale.
As I write this, I have a long time client en-route from his home in Costa Rica to the Rio Dulce to see the one there, also on Yachtworld. I've been watching it for awhile for myself, since it's "already there", so when he asked my recommendation of a good coastal cruiser- I immediately thought of her. He's 76 and is planning to sail down the East Coast of South America to Brazil. (He used to own a Soveral 48' that he based in Columbia that he cruised back and forth to Miami, and had a Motorsailer over in Europe, AND a Catamaran in Costa Rica, so he's not a neophyte I'm sending to his doom). Not having seen the boat, I just gave him the Brokers number and wished him good luck. I'll let you all know what he discovered. You want one with the Pullman berth layout with the head forward, which is what it is. These boats have interiors like a power boat, complete with hide-a-bed in the salon. They were built over in the Ft. Myers area.

Attachments

• DSC_3106.jpg
    DSC_3106.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
cardude: Check out the link on Tidak Apa and click on the "other photos". Nice shot in there of the engine space.

Here I was, thinking Duck Substitute might be pate or perhaps smoked salmon?

I have personally looked at the boat in the picture. I also own a 40' Shucker. Great boats but not for offshore use in my opinion. Windows are not strong enough and the cockpit is way to big. Holds lots of water before it drains and takes too long to do so. Very fuel efficient boats drawing 3'2" with single engines and they do sail. Heavy Hulls and 14' of beam. Here is a picture of my boat.
Not sure if I downloaded the picture or not.

I like it, and I wouldn't want the cockpit any smaller - it might just need the scuppers enlarged or more added.

Any large full sized cockpit can be freed of a great quanity of water with scuppers.

With modest sail area this boat should not heel far so the freeing ports would be just above the healed water line.

Built more with power boat scantlings , it could be fine alongshore , but ocean passages might be out of her abilities.

Came very close to buying a Schucker. Owners have done some very interesting modifications to the stern for more lift and eye appeal. Here are a few pics:

BeeSea 1.jpg

Katrina 2.jpg

Straight on till.jpg

Ted

As Janice mentioned, Bruce Van Sant cruised his "trawlerized" Schucker in the Caribbean for a number of years. Here is his website - may open up some possibilities.

Schucker 440 Motorsailer Tidak Apa

Bruce Van Sant really did trawlerize his Shucker when he cut the mast down and removed the sails. We met the new owner last year. He was on his way to St. Martin to re-rig.

I'm reading Van Sant's write up about selecting his next boat after deciding he was getting too old for his sailboat. Interesting experience he had on his experiment with a SD sun deck trawler that sounded like almost killed him out in some 8' waves. Yikes!

Don't think I would want to trawlerize one by getting rid of the sail. The get home sail idea and steadying properties of the sail is why I'm vaguely thinking about one of these.

Last edited:
For the same reason I gave up the sail and cut the mast down, these boats are not made for anybody that does canal system with fixed bridges, but I like the boat very much.

:thumb:
That boat reminds me of my dream boat, the Nordhavn 56MS.
Her lines are very similar, layout of mast and pilothouse are about the same. I might be able to find dream-boating satisfaction on a Schucker and save a pot of gold in the process. :facepalm:

One thing I admire is the ability (with fair winds) to plow along without the engine. I find sailboats a little too claustrophobic inside, but these sail-equipped trawlers have a bit more elbow room.

How fine it would be to wake up in the morning to find a stiff breeze going your way.. Unfurl the main and jib and move off quietly, waves lapping the hull and the creaking of the lines the only noise. ;)
When the wind doesn't cooperate, start her up and head out. You'd still have the advantage of the stabilizing mainsail.
I like that boat a lot.

The Schucker's mast is deck stepped. The hinge is forward. I have no idea if you can fold it down or not. It would make a heck of a bow sprit if it did.

Attachments

• Schucker 001.jpg
    Schucker 001.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Schucker 002.jpg
    Schucker 002.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Schucker 003.jpg
    Schucker 003.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 332
Came very close to buying a Schucker. Owners have done some very interesting modifications to the stern for more lift and eye appeal. Here are a few pics:

View attachment 27231

Ted

I saw her out of the water at a yard up the Miami river about 5 years ago (maybe longer, as time is flying) right after what appeared to be a total refit/restoration. It was spectacular, as was the one I posted. These are quite old boats now, so fall into two categories: 1. Having been totally
restored and are excellent, and not for sale, and 2. Needing
restorations, definitely for sale, but
not priced low enough to make it viable, and are in reality closer to salvage. If I was looking to buy one, this one and Take Five are the ones you want to track down.

Last edited:

View attachment 27229

View attachment 27230

View attachment 27231

Ted

The lines of this motorsailer (other than the keel) are PURE sailboat. Look at the view from aft. The bilges are so slack it makes my Willard look like a flat bottomed boat. Such a feature should be carefully considered before getting revved up beyond looking.

The Schucker's mast is deck stepped. The hinge is forward. I have no idea if you can fold it down or not. It would make a heck of a bow sprit if it did.

Forward hinged makes sense with that pilothouse, but it must look like jousting when she's doing the ICW! Eric...what's the big deal with the bilge areas....too high?

Larry,
Round like half of a pipe.

Sure looks efficient though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom