Our next boat, LRC Full Displacement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark now she looks positively FD. Are you shure that pic's level?

"Dancing Angles" .. "Pinhead ratio" ....... BS ratio?

And psneeld is crying out for NUMBERS and reference ratios.

It seems many here feel that if they wish it hard enough and long enough their SD boat will become a FD boat. It seems many think a FD boat is a real trawler and a SD is a make believe or "wannabe" trawler. Since a huge majority of trawlers are SD it seems to me the opposite should be true. The real trawler is SD. I would rather have a SD boat. I've said many times the ideal boat (for me) is a 12 knot boat. And in my size that's not even close to FD. If one has the money why would they aspire to slug along at significantly less than hull speed?

Any comments see the new thread "SD/FD".

Yes Bob a Beer and a walk - however we might have to leave the beer on the boat. Don't think the harbor would appreciate libations on the boardwalk....

Why cant we pick a boat based on a mission requirement instead?

Agree fully, first figure out what you are actually going to do with the boat then look for a boat that fits that use.

Agree fully, first figure out what you are actually going to do with the boat then look for a boat that fits that use.

Doesn't everyone do this? :blush:

We had many of the same requirements that you mentioned when we began our search as well. We looked at many of the Defever 49 pilothouse trawlers. We then came across the Ocean Alexander Mark 1. We purchased one with twin Ford Lehman 120's for the fuel burn. We consume 4 gallons per hour at 8 knots without the gen set running & 5 gallons per hour with. The boat has classic lines that we love, a great layout, good range, covered walkways, & we like the Portuguese bridge. It has been a great boat for us. We also really like the Krogen's & the posting from Dauntless regarding fuel burn & range is quite impressive. Good luck with what ever you come up with.

We had many of the same requirements that you mentioned when we began our search as well. We looked at many of the Defever 49 pilothouse trawlers. We then came across the Ocean Alexander Mark 1. We purchased one with twin Ford Lehman 120's for the fuel burn. We consume 4 gallons per hour at 8 knots without the gen set running & 5 gallons per hour with. The boat has classic lines that we love, a great layout, good range, covered walkways, & we like the Portuguese bridge. It has been a great boat for us. We also really like the Krogen's & the posting from Dauntless regarding fuel burn & range is quite impressive. Good luck with what ever you come up with.

The Ocean Alexander mk1 and bigger boats have always been in my sights.. they are really nice boats and have the look, good luck with yours!
HOLLYWOOD

The Ocean Alexander mk1 and bigger boats have always been in my sights.. they are really nice boats and have the look, good luck with yours!
HOLLYWOOD

I second (third?) that. Was all over one last year and came very close. Well built, spacious, intelligent design, and very cozy. Yeah, cozy is important.

I'd looked at one a few years ago in BC but alas the teak decks had leaked too much onto the fuel tanks.

I know of one MK I replica made in wood. One of the artisans from around Port Townsend did it, very nice indeed. One of the Monk NAs had blessed it.

Your $175 price puts a damper on all of your wants. The trouble is that your travel route dictates a high fuel capacity which means that the easiest way to get what you want is to digger deeper or get a loan as you will need a blue water trawler which don't come cheap. You can stay with a cheaper vessel but you should plan on using your life raft and a helicopter ride courtesy of the Coast guard .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom