Romsdal Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SJHE

Does anybody have a source of information for Romsdal Trawlers? I have found a few bits on the web but no real details as to their history and the full model line-up.

Somebody did suggest to me that there was a Romsdal in the 35-40' range but I've never been able to verify this... If so, does anybody have a photo they could post?

I'd also be interested to know if these boats were US or Norwegian designed (I'm assuming all were built in Norway?)

Thanks

Does anybody have a source of information for Romsdal Trawlers? I have found a few bits on the web but no real details as to their history and the full model line-up.

Somebody did suggest to me that there was a Romsdal in the 35-40' range but I've never been able to verify this... If so, does anybody have a photo they could post?

I'd also be interested to know if these boats were US or Norwegian designed (I'm assuming all were built in Norway?)

Thanks

I seen a 1962 65 footer on yacht world. It was built in Norway at the Hagen shipyard. The designer was Knut Hagen if that helps.

Also have you been to this web site?

The Classic Trawler Network, a Portal to some of the best trawlers in the world

They seem to know a lot about Ramsdal trawlers.

best of luck to you and Welcome aboard!

happy cruising

H. Foster

Romsdahl is a place in Norway. A few yards there built the boats that were marketed as "Romsdahl" trawlers. They were built in various sizes in wood and steel. Wooden 65' double-enders were the first to appear in North America, then some 45's, and steel 53's (one owned by a forum member).

Norski is a wooden hull (with I think aluminum house) 45' being restored in Ladysmith a few years back. As you can see the arrangement gets awkward with various phone booth sized spaces on diferent levels.

Romsdal3.jpg

Romsdal1.jpg

Romsdal2.jpg

Tad,

Where not most of them originally built as commercial fish boats or where some built as yachts?

Was under the impression the current yachts where all commercial re-fits.

Craig,

I don't think so. While the basic wooden hull was pretty close to a fishboat of the time, I believe they were all built as yachts. The steel hulls seem a bit of a small copy of real commercial hulls of the time. In the 1960's Norwegian offshore fishboats were over 100' and heading to Greenland, Iceland, and the Arctic Ocean. As the broker ad shows, the boats were probably pre-ordered through a broker in the US.

Wow Tad
You the man. Great post and plus some great info.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Happy cruising to you

H. Foster

Isn't Dolfin’s boat a steel Romsdal? I am sure it was. His boast was for sale?

I have not see him on the site lately.

If you do a search on Romsdal, there a lot of past discussion come up.

Last edited:
Isn't Dolfin’s boat a steel Romsdal? I am sure it was. His boast was for sale?

I have not see him on the site lately.

Yes, I think so. I also saw his boat advertised. Truth is, I haven't seen much of you on the site lately either, Phil. I even sent you a PM about it. Am I on your "ignore" list now?

Yes, I think so. I also saw his boat advertised. Truth is, I haven't seen much of you on the site lately either, Phil. I even sent you a PM about it. Am I on your "ignore" list now?

I read the site every day, but not that many discussions I replying to. If you have noticed most of us older long term members do not reply that much! :oldman: I have seen him on sister site Cruise and Sail Foum recently.

I just checked and I did not get your PM. :confused:

Thanks
The vessel range referred to as Romsdals was the brainchild of Peter Varney of Lido Marine, who thought the world was ready for a production trawler capable of crossing oceans. The smallest was 53' (steel, one built), then 2 55' (Delfin and Torsk, steel), then some 65' in wood, then a few larger. There is some information about them on Delfin's website, which no, is not for sale, awkward telephone booth spaces notwithstanding. I had an enthusiastic yacht broker approach me, set a price that I couldn't refuse and not surprisingly didn't receive that offer.

My understanding is that Varney went to Romsdal Shipbuilders because they had been building these boats since the mid 1860's and thought they could execute on a dude boat version of the working vessel. Delfin's hull design hasn't changed in 125 years and with her current tankage has around a 6,000 mile range, burning around 2.75 gph.

Below is the full range build, a shot of Torsk, one of the former 100' Netunus, and one of Delfin.

Attachments

• TORSK 2007.JPG
    TORSK 2007.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,426
  • DISCOVERY 2009 1.jpg
    DISCOVERY 2009 1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 765
  • DELFIN 5  19 AUG 11.jpg
    DELFIN 5 19 AUG 11.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,713
  • VARNEY ad January 1962.jpg
    VARNEY ad January 1962.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 833
Delfin, it is great to have you back. You have been missed. Are you still planning the Pacific loop?

Passagemaker did a good story on them several years ago. Delfin's stunning boat was in there was it not?

The vessel range referred to as Romsdals was the brainchild of Peter Varney of Lido Marine, who thought the world was ready for a production trawler capable of crossing oceans. The smallest was 53' (steel, one built), then 2 55' (Delfin and Torsk, steel), then some 65' in wood, then a few larger. There is some information about them on Delfin's website, which no, is not for sale, awkward telephone booth spaces notwithstanding. I had an enthusiastic yacht broker approach me, set a price that I couldn't refuse and not surprisingly didn't receive that offer.

My understanding is that Varney went to Romsdal Shipbuilders because they had been building these boats since the mid 1860's and thought they could execute on a dude boat version of the working vessel. Delfin's hull design hasn't changed in 125 years and with her current tankage has around a 6,000 mile range, burning around 2.75 gph.

Below is the full range build, a shot of Torsk, one of the former 100'
Netunus, and one of Delfin.

Gorgeous boats ... I think I just had an orgasm !

Delfin, it is great to have you back. You have been missed. Are you still planning the Pacific loop?
Hi Don. Yes, still planning on that. Just trying to get retired so we can wave bye bye.

Here is Ulysses, a beauty I saw at Lulu's in Orange Beach, Alabama last year she was for sale.

Attachments

• Ullyses.jpg
    Ullyses.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 854
Yes.
Beautiful boats.

Yes.
Beautiful boats.

And Delfin is THE BEST one out there!

When she is in P.T. I often just stand and look at her with wanton lust...

Last time I did I got a little drool too close to her and Carl chased me off with his attack dogs..

On a serious note it is one of the best passage makers I have ever seen.

HOLLYWOOD
:socool:

Thanks for all of the replies and information - much appreciated.

One of the original Lido Marine ads posted shows a Romsdal Fjord 37. Were any of these ever built? If so, are there any photos available for comparison?

I also stumbled across the below set of photos of Sindbad - scary!

FIMG_0002e | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is Ulysses, a beauty I saw at Lulu's in Orange Beach, Alabama last year she was for sale.

Passagemaker Magazine did a full article on Ulysses, around 1998 as I recall. Beautiful vessel, although I think Delphin has her beat. (I had the opportunity to ogle Delphin from the dock in Anacortes last year as I was using the same "enthusiastic" broker at the time.)

Ulysses is still for sale at Lulu's. My homeport marina.

Varney went to Romsdal Shipbuilders because they had been building these boats since the mid 1860's and thought they could execute on a dude boat version of the working vessel. Delfin's hull design hasn't changed in 125 years

A bit of a historical note if I may.....

The ship builders of the Romsdal area had been building boats for many years, but the designs had (and have) evolved. The boats they were building in the 1960's were very different from what they were building in the 1860's, which were sailing boats. And the boats they are building today are as different again, big high-sided boxes. Norway has long lead the world in fishing vessel development. In the 1890's in the larger sizes they were starting to build steam trawlers, but the evolution from deep and narrow sailing hulls was slow.

Smaller boat's of the 1890's remained pure sail for decades..

Like this....

pola-3_big.jpg

Yes Tad, they look as my forefathers craft - VIKING SHIPS

A bit of a historical note if I may.....

The ship builders of the Romsdal area had been building boats for many years, but the designs had (and have) evolved. The boats they were building in the 1960's were very different from what they were building in the 1860's, which were sailing boats. And the boats they are building today are as different again, big high-sided boxes. Norway has long lead the world in fishing vessel development. In the 1890's in the larger sizes they were starting to build steam trawlers, but the evolution from deep and narrow sailing hulls was slow.

Smaller boat's of the 1890's remained pure sail for decades..

Like this....

View attachment 27192
On deck and inside, yes, they changed. But the shape of the hull is essentially that of a working sailboat, and at least according to Jim Rodgers, former project manager for Feadship, and someone who has collected more data on Romsdals than anyone else I am aware of, the Romsdal hull hadn't changed much in over a century.

On deck and inside, yes, they changed. But the shape of the hull is essentially that of a working sailboat, and at least according to Jim Rodgers, former project manager for Feadship, and someone who has collected more data on Romsdals than anyone else I am aware of, the Romsdal hull hadn't changed much in over a century.

From a naval architect's point of view they are completely different, but that's just my opinion. They are similar in that they're both boats and sort of pointed at both ends....everything beyond that is different. The bow, the stern, the rudder, the keel, the midsection shape, the sheer, and the entire topsides.....but I'm pretty picky about this sort of thing ;)

CArcher44.jpg

From a naval architect's point of view they are completely different, but that's just my opinion. They are similar in that they're both boats and sort of pointed at both ends....everything beyond that is different. The bow, the stern, the rudder, the keel, the midsection shape, the sheer, and the entire topsides.....but I'm pretty picky about this sort of thing ;)

View attachment 27195
Hmmm...sure looks a lot like Delfin's underbody, although yes, the rudder on a engined vessel won't be the same as that on a sailing vessel. I rather think that Archer's Fram, built in 1893 is a closer analog to Delfin, perhaps showing more similarity than that "they're both boats" and are "sort of pointed at both ends".

I'd very much appreciate any other drawings you have of wooden North Sea herring fishing vessels built in the mid 19th century by Norwegian yards. I'd like to include them in my collection, as I think the similarities between the powered Romsdal dude boats and those sailing working vessels is pretty close. But that may be an error on my part, and that of the naval architect I bought Delfin's hull from who thought the same thing.

Ulysses is still in Gulf Shores. Rebuilding forward compartment. Planning a Dominican Republic trip soon. Still for sale.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom