Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hendo, be sure to check the condition and weight of the mooring apparatus. Mine is serviced annually, for me, insurer, and Maritime. Heavier boat=heavier block. Your user won`t thank you if it fails, nor will Axe later on.
Buying one for 8K is different to here, you can`t trade them. Maritime administers and leases out sites, usually to a waiting list. You get the mooring apparatus installed, your cost, you maintain. Maritime will put you in touch with the relinquishing user so you can buy his apparatus,usually $ 100-$200, saving him removing it. My site rent is about $700 a year, maintenance about $200 plus parts replaced. There are also some commercial moorings associated with marinas you can rent, they supposedly maintain.

Thanks Bruce.

My mooring is under survey atm and is current till August this year. They get done every two years.

Mine is not a block or weight. Mine is a 4mtr long steel pin drilled into the sea floor. A pin is a Railway track drilled vertically into the sea floor with a fitting on top to fix the chains up to the apparatus.

When she goes for surveying in August, I will be adding an extra pin and an anchor to the North on 4mtrs of chain so its like a triangle effect fixed to the sea floor at three points.

"Technically" no one in Western Australia can "Buy" a mooring. Moorings are assigned to a vessel. The Govt. closed new mooring applications back in the 70's I believe. The only way to get a mooring is to be on a waiting list which is total BS (10+ years long) orrrrrrr do what I and the seller did. Basically, The current licensed vessel (His boat) is transferred into my name. That triggers the transfer of the mooring site licence into my name. Once the mooring paperwork is sent to me, I then nominate a boat (Mine) as the licensed vessel for the mooring site, I then transfer his vessel back to him and WA LA, the mooring is in my name with my boat assigned to it. The documentary process is completely legal. Its more of a loop hole that I have found ... :blush:

Thanks for following and sending through your words of advice and help!

Last edited:
Re: The inspection. Not that I had any doubt, but there's nothing like having a guy come to pick your boat apart and then come out with that kind of rating. Great feeling, yes?

Hi Healhustler,
Thank you for your comment ... Yes great feeling and a great moment when I looked over at the doubters, raised one eyebrow, tilted my head to one side, lifted my chin up and leaned back a little, crossed my arms and said, TOLD YA !!!!!! hahaha :thumb:

Thank you for your support!

Happy Australia Day folks!
Here's a couple of videos to get you into the spirit of Australia Day with me!

Slim Dusty - Waltzing Matilda - YouTube

John Williamson True Blue - YouTube

Making of the "Spirit of the bush" - YouTube

Today, instead of drinking beer and BBQ'ing, I finished sanding the first round of epoxy on the Port side of the hull. Looks great so far.

Next step will be to put an epoxy skim coat and torture board it for fairness.

The last pic shows some of the layers in this Gigantic onion of mine. Basically, 100mm X 50mm Rib, 3mm High strength epoxy glue, 2mm epoxy resin, 18mm ply, 2mm epoxy resin, fibreglass cloth, soak coat, 2mm of epoxy resin then 8mm epoxy faring filler.

Well that's all really. not really much I can talk about when it comes to sanding other than it sucks balls and I hate it haha :banghead: but my eye is on the prize.

Thanks everyone for your support and comments! ... I really appreciate it :thumb:

Last edited:
Matt - Your boat is truly a work of art! The video you placed are point on. "Waltzing Matilda" is a song my pop sang to us while out on boats; he was careful to explain its upcoming. "True Blue song hits home to me for several reasons and "Spirit of the Bush" compendium is great! Thanks so much for your heart!!

Keep the Faith! And, as they tongue-in-cheek say for close communications in rural communities of America "Keep It in Your Sneaker! lol

:thumb:

A couple of questions.
What sort of powder are you using in your bog/filler, it looks like its really really hard to sand?
And why so thick?
img_208422_0_b5356e941fff7ab9ae913cda3e9e8811.jpg

Being ply it should already be quit fair and only need a thin screed to fill cloth weave and overlaps and then sanded fair until you touch glass leaving only a wafer thin amount behind.

Like this.
fairing_progress_large.jpg

Thank you so much for the detailed description of your mooring situation down under. .... Do you guys like that expression "down under"? I could easily relate to your not liking it.

Well your mooring situation seems .. sort-of complicated, unsafe in several ways, expensive in several ways not to mention unfair re the government. I sure hope motorcycling is less trouble. One of the reasons I liked motorcycling so much is that it could be enjoyed for almost any amount of time and then forgotten almost any amount of time. There was the bike waiting for you to ride almost anytime.

Well I'm sure glad you've got moorage now and a damn good anchor.

Eric

Thank you so much for the detailed description of your mooring situation down under. .... Do you guys like that expression "down under"? I could easily relate to your not liking it.

Well your mooring situation seems .. sort-of complicated, unsafe in several ways, expensive in several ways not to mention unfair re the government. I sure hope motorcycling is less trouble. One of the reasons I liked motorcycling so much is that it could be enjoyed for almost any amount of time and then forgotten almost any amount of time. There was the bike waiting for you to ride almost anytime.

Well I'm sure glad you've got moorage now and a damn good anchor.

Eric

Hi Eric.
Yeah its very complicated and is very expensive but they (Govt. Mooring control) are a necessary evil I guess. The act and regulations are a good ready if you're feeling sad and need a good laugh haha.

down under is fine mate, you won't wake the inner sleeping bear until you starting quoting fosters or shrimp lol.

cheers mate
Matt

A couple of questions.
What sort of powder are you using in your bog/filler, it looks like its really really hard to sand?
And why so thick?

Being ply it should already be quit fair and only need a thin screed to fill cloth weave and overlaps and then sanded fair until you touch glass leaving only a wafer thin amount behind.

Like this.

The products I am using are Boatcraft Pacific Australian made Bote-Cote. The filler is Bote-Cote faring powder mixed with the bote-cote epoxy resin system. I have to use 80 grit sanding belts due to its concrete like strength.

it is 5mm thick and I applied it like that to create a hard waterproof surface that will help provide a dry bilge and protect the ply hull from strikes in the event fenders fail. Yes its a massive overkill causing added weight and added expense but it will pay for itself in the long run. The hull up to the rubrail will be done like this. The super structure will be done as you described.

Last edited:
Good to see ya back on the horse Matt. Good call on the go fast too, I always dump a toy when it cost more to fix than the fun it provides. Keep it up mate.

The products I am using are Boatcraft Pacific Australian made Bote-Cote. The filler is Bote-Cote faring powder mixed with the bote-cote epoxy resin system. I have to use 80 grit sanding belts due to its concrete like strength.

it is 5mm thick and I applied it like that to create a hard waterproof surface that will help provide a dry bilge and protect the ply hull from strikes in the event fenders fail. Yes its a massive overkill causing added weight and added expense but it will pay for itself in the long run. The hull up to the rubrail will be done like this. The super structure will be done as you described.

Yeah Baby - Thats Da Way Ta Do It!! :dance: :D

Build YOUR AXE Too Damn Tough to Fail!! :thumb: :socool:

Matt - Your boat is truly a work of art! The video you placed are point on. "Waltzing Matilda" is a song my pop sang to us while out on boats; he was careful to explain its upcoming. "True Blue song hits home to me for several reasons and "Spirit of the Bush" compendium is great! Thanks so much for your heart!!

Keep the Faith! And, as they tongue-in-cheek say for close communications in rural communities of America "Keep It in Your Sneaker! lol

:thumb:

Thanks Buddy! ... Im happy with how she is starting to take shape. Maybe i shoulda called her Onion instead of AXE :ermm: ... :rofl::lol::rofl:

Glad you liked the videos. Im a massive Country music fan. Some of my favourite songs are boys and girls from your neck of the woods actually but really love our home grown talent as well.

The main guy in the last Video is Lee Kernaghan and is my long time idol and I got to meet him last year.... Ive been following him since I was a kid and got a chance to go backstage and meet him before the show. He was such a great bloke. I took Flic and the boy with me as well. He gave the boy a cap and signed his hat and chatted to us for about 10 minutes. I didn't do much talking. I just stood there and stared apparently :lol::rofl: ... he must have thought he was meeting someone with a speech problem :blush::lol::lol::blush: anyway was the best day ive had and i'll never forget it.

Last edited:
Thanks Buddy! ... Im happy with how she is starting to take shape. Maybe i shoulda called her Onion instead of AXE :ermm: ... :rofl::lol::rofl:

Glad you liked the videos. Im a massive Country music fan. Some of my favourite songs are boys and girls from your neck of the woods actually but really love our home grown talent as well.

The main guy in the last Video is Lee Kernaghan and is my long time idol and I got to meet him last year.... Ive been following him since I was a kid and got a chance to go backstage and meet him before the show. He was such a great bloke. I took Flic and the boy with me as well. He gave the boy a cap and signed his hat and chatted to us for about 10 minutes. I didn't do much talking. I just stood there and stared apparently :lol::rofl: ... he must have thought he was meeting someone with a speech problem :blush::lol::lol::blush: anyway was the best day ive had and i'll never forget it.

Too Cool & FUN x 100!! - Art :D

Greetings,
I hope THIS thread continues. 708 posts. Truly a thread of biblical proportions for a biblical task. Amen.

zz.gif

OK! Dear, Matt

Please come out of the closet and change your TF handle to the correct name... i.e. NOAH! RT has confirmed what we all thought! :D :rofl:

G'day to my Friends and loyal followers!

A small update, After sanding, sanding and more sanding, the Port side is now ready for a skim coat of 1:1 Jotun Fine Fairing Filler (the Green one) and then primer so I moved onto the keel.

I applied a coat of epoxy resign then a thickish skim coat of thickened epoxy to level it out a bit and applied the 350gsm glass tape then saturated it in epoxy resign. Im hoping that when dry, it will strengthen it all up and be all sexy times for me :dance:.

Anyway that's all.

Cheers

Hendo :thumb:

Last edited:
You becoming a marine Pharaoh?? 2nd to last pict - LOL

Hey - That Pict's Suddenly Gone - I didn't mean to offend!! - LOL :dance:

Now its back - I'm getting dizzy!

Last edited:
Yeah dunno what I was doing :nonono: but I suspect it had something to do with Fairing, epoxy sanding dust and my inner Ninja coming out :whistling::thumb:

You becoming a marine Pharaoh?? 2nd to last pict - LOL

Hey - That Pict's Suddenly Gone - I didn't mean to offend!! - LOL :dance:

Now its back - I'm getting dizzy!

LOL what you talkin bout Willis ?! :huh: ... :lol:

Good to see ya enjoying a bit of sanding Hendo. Reminds me of an old project truck from years ago, I haven't sanded a damn thing since :)

I continue to enjoy these posts! Great job keeping the dream alive.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom