Searching for "Spray"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
After seeing the well-done treatment of the GB32 by the online Classic Yacht magazine I suggested to the editor that he might be interested in doing a feature on "Spray," the prototype for the entire Grand Banks line.

I recall seeing a recent writeup on "Spray" complete with a color photo, and I believe the current owners have the boat in Michigan.* Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw the writeup.

If anyone on this forum knows who the current owners are and has a suggestion as to how to reach them I will pass this information on to the magazine editor.* If he decides to pursue this and do an article on "Spray," I for one, would be very interested in learning the history of this boat.

Thanks much,

I thought SPRAY was the first sailboat single handed round the world .

FF

Marin -

I know that I saw that article, too - so it had to be in PM or Northwest Yachting.

I believe the article was about a GB float-in that just happened upon her at the marina where they met.

FF--- There are lot of boats named "Spray." You are correct about Joshua Slocum's "Spray" and his around-the-world voyage.*However the prototype for the Grand Banks line was also named "Spray." I have since learned she is in Michigan, owned by a member of the Great Lakes Grand Banks Owners Group. Here is a tiny b&w picture of American Marine's "Spray when she was new in 1963.* The color picture is how "Spray" looks today.*American Marine's first Grand Banks model, the GB36, was more or less identical to this boat except for the changes to the cabin configuration.

-- Edited by Marin at 17:36, 2008-01-17

Attachments

• spray today.jpg
    spray today.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 134
  • spray.jpg
    spray.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 258

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom