Installing Phifertex screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I'm in the process of installing new Phifertex vinyl mesh screen on the windows of the boat. I've heard (somewhere, and do not remember where) that the edges should be folded over and sewed. But try as I might I cannot figure out why this should be necessary. I understand about cloth -- the edges will fray. But I cannot see this stuff fraying,.

So before I proceed (gotta wait for my snaps to come in from Defender anyway) thought I would just ask if I am making a big mistake by not folding the edges over before installation.

All I can tell you is mine are all folded and sewn. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

All I can tell you is mine are all folded and sewn. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Yeah, my old ones (which I am replacing) are folded and sewn also. But why???

So it has a more finished look ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Greetings,
Mr. j. If the edges are folded over it makes a double thickness for the snaps to attach to does it not?

Last edited:
Probably doesn't need to be folded over...but probably does need reinforcing....there are many ways to strengthen an edge other than folded and sewn...try whatever you think works and meet's your eye approval.

Greetings,
Mr. j. If the edges are folded over it makes a double thickness for the snaps to attach to does it not.

Yes, indeed it does. But (a) I cannot see why that is important, and (b) if it were important, then a small cut-out piece to make a double thickness for the snap would work just as well.

We are not talking about a lot of pressure on these snaps. They just sit there, enjoying the view, and doing nothing more than that. One possible argument would be that when you pull them off, having a double thickness might be good. Not a bad argument, actually, except that they do not get pulled off very often, and when they do a small tool is available to pull them off which does not strain the surrounding area.

Hey, I am not trying to start an argument! If people want to fold and sew, that is just fine. I am just trying to figure out whether or not there is any good reason (other than personal preference) to do so.

Probably being a single guy is part of my problem here. I feel sure that a woman on board would know such things -- they probably teach it in Home Ec 101.

Greetings,
Mr. j. Well, I don't know the reason for hemming either but other than a rag of some sort, EVERYTHING has a hem or a turned over edge. You must have a much more accessible/memorable spot to store your small unsnapping tool than I do and the patience to go and find/get it. When it comes to removal, fingers and thumbs all the way.

I'm in the process of installing new Phifertex vinyl mesh screen on the windows of the boat. I've heard (somewhere, and do not remember where) that the edges should be folded over and sewed. But try as I might I cannot figure out why this should be necessary. I understand about cloth -- the edges will fray. But I cannot see this stuff fraying,. So before I proceed (gotta wait for my snaps to come in from Defender anyway) thought I would just ask if I am making a big mistake by not folding the edges over before installation.

Ours are doubled over and sewn. When snaps get stiff...you will be glad they are sewn...and when that straight line wind hits you you, you wont have to watch them sink ...blub...blub...blub....

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

a small piece of webbing folded over could be used to double the strength and the loop to make it easier to grab...I agree not everything HAS to have a hem on it as long as it won't unravel or fray. There are different kinds of edging, some sewn but some that can be glued or "ironed" (glued) on.....

You must have a much more accessible/memorable spot to store your small unsnapping tool than I do and the patience to go and find/get it.

Actually, two small flat-blade screwdrivers would work also, but yeah, I am pretty anal when it comes to where things are stored on the boat. All the "canvas" stuff is in a drawer. :)

Mine are folded hem design. I was glad when reinstalling them after having them off for a few months, those suckers fit tighter than I thought. Must have shrunk a bit during storage?

Mine are folded hem design. I was glad when reinstalling them after having them off for a few months, those suckers fit tighter than I thought. Must have shrunk a bit during storage?

And having hems helps when they shrink? (I do not much think that vinyl mesh shrinks, by the way!)

Ours are doubled over and sewn. When snaps get stiff...you will be glad they are sewn...and when that straight line wind hits you you, you wont have to watch them sink ...blub...blub...blub....

But wouldn't the pressure required to pop a snap be the same whether it is a single thickness or a double thickness???

Greetings,
Mr. j. If the edges are folded over it makes a double thickness for the snaps to attach to does it not?

Ding Ding Ding. RT wins. You need to have a good bit of fabric between the two parts of the snap to hold onto. It's much like a grommet. Otherwise it will be a weak link and rip a hole in the fabric with a simple tug to get them off. I fold mine over twice for a triple thickness. It also gives the mesh a good stiffness to it like a frame.

You don't "have" to do this, but this is why it is done. I also use double seams over that hem to keep the edge flat and neat. But that's just me. :thumb:

And when your snaps get stiff or hard to press on, use a little vaseline or chapstick. :)

Last edited:
Ding Ding Ding. RT wins. You need to have a good bit of fabric between the two parts of the snap to hold onto. It's much like a grommet. Otherwise it will be a weak link and rip a hole in the fabric with a simple tug to get them off. I fold mine over twice for a triple thickness. It also gives the mesh a good stiffness to it like a frame.

You don't "have" to do this, but this is why it is done. I also use double seams over that hem to keep the edge flat and neat. But that's just me. :thumb:

Not just you, that exactly how ours are.........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

You're welcome! :D

You can blow this picture up to see how mine are made. Temperature affects them. You can see that they can get tight. You need something that won't stretch out of shape when you pull on them.

Attachments

• Moonstruck SureShade 1.jpg
    Moonstruck SureShade 1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 159
You can blow this picture up to see how mine are made. Temperature affects them. You can see that they can get tight. You need something that won't stretch out of shape when you pull on them.

Yeah, I can see from the picture very well how yours are made. Nice!

I think that at this point I can probably summarize the arguments for and against folding and sewing as follows:

ADVANTAGES: Looks a bit neater (provided that a good sewing job is done); more strength for pulling on snap when need to unsnap; makes the screen less prone to being stretched out of shape.

DISADVANTAGES: More work; uses more material; looks tacky if poor folding/sewing job.

We just had new covers made for our windows. Here are a couple of close up photos showing the edge details. The mesh is doubled up on the edge and trimmed. They are nicely done.

Attachments

• RKL_1402.jpg
    RKL_1402.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 78
  • RKL_1412.jpg
    RKL_1412.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 85
  • RKL_1445.jpg
    RKL_1445.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 80
We just had new covers made for our windows. Here are a couple of close up photos showing the edge details. The mesh is doubled up on the edge and trimmed. They are nicely done.

Nice! Very professional job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom