Another So.Cal. New Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Gandee

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fire Escape
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3888
Hello TF members!

A little over a year a year ago I purchased a 1989 Bayliner 3888 twin diesel. The first 10 mos I kept it up in Anacortes, Wa. where the Admiral and I cruised the Gulf and San Juan Islands. I now have the boat moored in Portland, Or. on the Columbia River.
Sometime this summer I will be looking to move the boat down to So. Cal. Thus very interested in learning from those with more experience than I.
Thanks in advance for all of the help and info.

Jim Gandee

Pete, you get around, I should have known. Great to see you here!

Thanks for the greetings RT. I used to watch the Groucho show all the time!

Welcome Jim from another 38 owner, this is a great site.

Welcome Jim, So how does being on the Columbia River compare to the San Juan islands and north?

Thanks guys for the welcome!

The boat is currently located on Hayden Island at Jantzens Bay Marina, which is covered! Makes it kinda nice when working on the boat in the rain. I've only been there since Nov. 13 but the area is very nice. Safeway and restaurants right across the street and a huge West Marine and Home Depot about a half mile away.
Being in fresh water is a plus but I've seen the spring runoff river current and that can be a challenge especially when docking down current.
If I could only pick one place to boat the Puget Sound is pretty tough to beat although the Columbia River area does have plenty of scenery and a variety of marinas/areas to see and visit.
In my case, I'll probably point the bow south this summer and get the "Fire Escape" down to So.Cal. where it will be a bit more accessible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom