Take a ride on my Blackfin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
By popular demand (actually one request) here is a short video (although if you are bored it will seem longer) riding the Gulf swells from Perdido Pass AL to Mississippi Sound. At the wheel the whole way (about 100 miles) was my late wife Anne.

It just may show why I like running that blackfin so much.

Perdido Pass to Mississippi Sound 1994 - YouTube

Thanks for sharing Don, I love that boat. Did you remove the tower? I don't recall seeing it in the photos you posted last year.

Thanks for sharing Don, I love that boat. Did you remove the tower? I don't recall seeing it in the photos you posted last year.

Good eye, Craig. My sons loved the tower. Me, not so much. After they left home we decided to do some serious usgrading. The tower came off, New T top went on, lots of re gelcoating, all new varnish, new wiring, all new electronics including radar. She's a honey, if I do say so. Here is the picture you may remember. This was taken at SouthSeas Resort on Captiva Island.I

BTW, that is a 3208T Cat engine. The boat is a 1978, and we were making 24 to 25 knots in the video.

Attachments

• Little Moonstruck at South Seas.jpg
    Little Moonstruck at South Seas.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 235
I well remember that photo Don. The cat 3208 is a big part of what I like best about baby Moonstruck. No outboard motor mucking up the lines of a beautiful boat. :thumb::thumb:

Thanks, Don! It makes me appreciate a trawler's pace.

img_210653_0_053dc00741325430c47258f9dc60bf94.jpg

img_210653_1_6e4d7172363578a20e193c30bc6c02bb.jpg

That was great Don.
Those are great offshore boats.

Thanks for sharing.

OD

Different boats for different purposes. One of the guys in our marina said, "I never understood that boat until I saw you blasting into the inlet through some nasty seas".

Notice no pounding, and no working the wheel. The big Cat engine under the console gives the boat balance and ballast. It also gives it gobs of torque. Even if it is a 1978 model, I love taking her to sea.

By the way, Mark, we had a trawler too. Great comfort, but when we wanted to make a 300 mile round trip for a 3 day weekend or fish 50-60 miles offshore, we would take the Blackfin.

Last edited:
Different boats for different purposes. One of the guys in our marina said, "I never understood that boat until I saw you blasting into the inlet through some nasty seas".

Notice no pounding, and no working the wheel. The big Cat engine under the console gives the boat balance and ballast. It also gives it gobs of torque. Even if it is a 1978 model, I love taking her to sea.

By the way, Mark, we had a trawler too. Great comfort, but when we wanted to make a 300 mile round trip for a 3 day weekend or fish 50-60 miles offshore, we would take the Blackfin.

A year before Dauntless, I joined the USCG Aux, as I figured I better know something before the big purchase.

I had the fortune to spend the entire summer and fall on a 35' Sabre hardtop.
Dual Cats, a wonderful boat that was not only fast, but handled the rough water of NY Harbor extremely well.

It was a blast and am grateful for the opportunity.

Different boats for different purposes. One of the guys in our marina said, "I never understood that boat until I saw you blasting into the inlet through some nasty seas". Notice no pounding, and no working the wheel. The big Cat engine under the console gives the boat balance and ballast. It also gives it gobs of torque. Even if it is a 1978 model, I love taking her to sea. By the way, Mark, we had a trawler too. Great comfort, but when we wanted to make a 300 mile round trip for a 3 day weekend or fish 50-60 miles offshore, we would take the Blackfin.

They are what I call a get you home boat. Since most offshore trips tend to get scrubbed if the weather looks dodgy these boats will always get you home if the forecast is off. I had to move my bf 38 on short notice due to sandy becoming a hurricane in 2012. Took the wife and dog on the outside to ft lauderdale because one of the intercostal bridges was in operable due to the winds. Came back the same way on Sunday after visiting FLIBS. Stopped to see a Bering trawler on display there Thursday and the sales rep was telling me it didn't need stabilizers. I said let's go see, as the color slowly drained from his face (am surf report was 14 feet and breaking in port Everglades). I didn't have the heart to tell him we came up on a 20 year old sport fish the day before. Due to the weather I actually got a real good look at some boats that year. Made the old blackfin look even better.

Via iPad using Trawler

Back
Top Bottom