Danforth to Bruce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie mac

Veteran Member
We have been given a new stainless Bruce anchor for our anniversary but my mainship pilot comes with a danforth setup has any body ever changed over. It appears I will either trade in for a stainless danforth or change roller system.

Attachments

• image-3412336905.jpg
    image-3412336905.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 135
Greetings,
Mr. j. Why not leave it right where it is. Your napkins will never blow away if stored underneath....

Nice bling. I wonder if anyone makes a stainless version of a Danforth?
Without turning this into yet another anchor rating thread, there have been advances in design since Dan IV invented his anchor. And, trading in Anniversary presents is not for the faint hearted. I suggest a careful look at the rollers.
(PS. We greatly enjoyed visiting/cycling PEI.)

there have been advances in design since Dan IV invented his anchor.

This is the rant of the new kids with new anchors with huge price tags.

All invent >tests< to prove their hot from the welder unit does work.

A look at a past thread with dozens of home brew anchors ALSO show that most anything works .

A forged SS anchor should be fine , I would not ship a welded unit as the corrosion will continue in or out of the water.

Have you tried it on your boat yet? It may work just fine. Trading a gift can cause bad feelings. So can not using the gift. It can be awkward.

by all means use the S.S. Bruce.

Below is a Mainship 30 like yours with a Bruce on the bow

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• 2004_mainship_30_pilot_trawler.jpg
    2004_mainship_30_pilot_trawler.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 139
Wow,
What an expensive gift! Better not show disrespect. I agree w Bruce.

Of course you could say it dosn't fit on the bow ect ect but this person who gave you the anchor has (perhaps unwittingly) committed the same blunder as the person that gives an artist a work of art.

Is there any relevant information like he dosn't know anything about boats or you have been complaining that your present anchor performs poorly or is defective in any other way? What was/is the giver like?

And it's hard to overlook the fact that it's beautiful and most people that don't anchor in Patagonia get along with the type well. I'd mod your bow unless the giver is your wife and then I'd say "what the #$% did you buy this pretentious thing for"? And if you don't like I'll gladly pay shipping to my house.

Marlinmike,
I'd put my money on the Danforth for holding power especially in/on soft bottoms like mud. But the Danforth isn't quite as universal as the Bruce. I say Bruce re the OP but it is probably a nondescript "Claw" as it's most likely new and Bruce quit making anchors for pleasure boats years ago. I paid less than $100 for my Claw and use it when I see there's a chance I won't get it back like anchoring in a place where it's common knowledge there's been logging activity. That practice won't apply to jamie mac since his is very expensive SS.

We have been given a new stainless Bruce anchor for our anniversary but my mainship pilot comes with a danforth setup has any body ever changed over. It appears I will either trade in for a stainless danforth or change roller system.

Haven't heard of a stainless Danforth... but in any case, we would prefer a Fortress instead, a size or two (or three) larger than whatever steel Danforth... Bigger flukes seems to work better when comparing the same style anchors....

Not a recommendation for Fortress over Bruce... just an observation. Also happens we can stow our back-up Fortress more easily, since it comes apart.

-Chris

Guys, guys.

He can care less which anchor you THINK is better. He asked if it will fit in his pulpit that currently holds a Danforth.

We have 300+ threads arguing what's better but are kinda scarce on threads about the mechanics of changing types.

I am familiar with your Mainship model and unless you have done something very different to the platform/roller, that Bruce type should work fine ........ and won't take off like a kite (Fortress) in current :dance:

Haven't heard of a stainless Danforth... but in any case, we would prefer a Fortress instead, a size or two (or three) larger than whatever steel Danforth... Bigger flukes seems to work better when comparing the same style anchors....

Not a recommendation for Fortress over Bruce... just an observation. Also happens we can stow our back-up Fortress more easily, since it comes apart.

-Chris

Stainless (knockoff) Danforth

Stainless Steel, North Star Danforth/Fluke Boat Anchor - Norestar -

Crosby Signature Stainless Steel Danforth Style Boat Anchor 45 Lbs | eBay

Stainless Steel Danforth Anchor, China Stainless Steel Danforth Anchor wholesale - Jinbo Marine

Stainless Steel Anchors, Plow Style Anchors, Danforth Anchors, Claw Anchors, Ace Anchors

The last link psneeld listed has a very good looking Danforth. VERY good looking Danforth. Heavy overall w an "H" section shank and flukes w large "T" sections on the inbd edge of the flukes. I'm really impressed. But I've got plenty of anchors and it's $1050. for the 35lb anchor. I don't see any galvanized alternative.

Jinbo Marine has an interesting Pool type (a bit like a Navy (but lighter)). It's availible in galvanized but I see no price.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input our family gave us the anchor fully awre we might exchange it . I work away from home and when i get back i will try it and see if it works . I was just wondering if i would have to swap out the roller or not.

It will need a zinc, no? Unless you cut off a foot of rusty chain each year.

If you never get it wet, just polish it.
Lemme see, hot-galvanized chain and stainless steel immersed in salt water... No, nothing will happen, in fact, maybe I won't use zinc on my prop shaft anymore, it's getting too expensive anyway.

Glad I could amuse you, one last laugh before bed.

Is Stainless Steel Really the Best Metal for Use in an Anchor? - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

Mixing and matching stainless steel and galvanized mild steel chain, shackles, and anchors is interesting from a galvanic corrosion point of view. It’s true that stainless steel becomes less noble when submerged, but the zinc galvanizing will be the least noble metal in the mix, and in salt water, its rate of electrolytic disappearance may be slightly increased. More of a concern however, lies in any stainless steel shackles and swivels that may show little sign of deterioration prior to catastrophic failure.

Looks like Practical sailor doesn't think the combo is that big of a deal.

Many people have used the combo with normal deterioration rates noticed (meaning links sitting in a pool of water in the anchor locker will be gone long before the links near the anchor). Most people don't anchor 365 days a year so it really depends on how much immersion time you really expect.

Based on the 20 or so articles on Stainless/galvanized steel galvanic corrosion I just read...the most I would see worrying about might be cutting the link or two next to the anchor off every couple of years. If I was anchoring enough to have that kind of deterioration...I'd probably be replacing the chain anyhow from normal abrasion issues on the galvanizing more so than the slight galvanic issue.

If you never get it wet, just polish it.
Lemme see, hot-galvanized chain and stainless steel immersed in salt water... No, nothing will happen, in fact, maybe I won't use zinc on my prop shaft anymore, it's getting too expensive anyway.

Glad I could amuse you, one last laugh before bed.

This is very minor issue as there is not enough of a voltage potential difference between galvanized steel and low 300 grade stainless to be much of a problem unless as Psneeld said, immersion is constant. The anode on your shaft is more to protect your manganese bronze propeller (around 35% zinc) than it is your shaft.

This is very minor issue as there is not enough of a voltage potential difference between galvanized steel and low 300 grade stainless to be much of a problem unless as Psneeld said, immersion is constant. The anode on your shaft is more to protect your manganese bronze propeller (around 35% zinc) than it is your shaft.

My reading up on the subject also discussed rate of action being tied to the larger area exposed either cathode/anode, amount of direct contact (thus only the near link being an issue and not feet of chain), the grade of stainless as you say...and more.

Generally the consensus was zero to slight accelerated degradation of the galvanizing...possibly moderate but only in a few situations that were never really discussed what the different variables were.

But not one article I read that was directly marine related discussed a problem with galvanized chain and a stainless anchor.

My personal example is my galvanized anchor sits on a stainless roller that is constantly wet/salty from spray and yet I see no deterioration on the bottom of the anchor.

Scientifically accurate problem? yes..... Reality problem? no.....

, immersion is constant

Every night, sometimes for months on end.

, immersion is constant

Every night, sometimes for months on end.

But only for maybe 10% of cruisers and less than 1% of all boaters.

I seriously doubt 1 in 10 here anchor out for that long continuously...even the guys doing the loop or the snow bird run have their anchors out of the water for day long runs every day or so.

For those that anchor out a lot... they probably aren't going to risk a stainless anchor anyway.

I have never seen a issue on any of the boats I have been on that had a stainless anchor and galvanized chain.

Is there no issue as the anchor and the chain are both grounded to earth?

Or is there less of a issue as when you are on the hook you are not tied to the electric grid thus less stray current?

Or is it as I suspect just not a big enough problem to matter?

HOLLYWOOD

I have never seen a issue on any of the boats I have been on that had a stainless anchor and galvanized chain.

Is there no issue as the anchor and the chain are both grounded to earth?

Or is there less of a issue as when you are on the hook you are not tied to the electric grid thus less stray current?

Or is it as I suspect just not a big enough problem to matter?

HOLLYWOOD

Me too...and as I posted a bunch of web sites I went to said either it would be no big deal or it "might be" but so many variables made it difficult to say for a general statement.

I sure think worst case scenario is the first link or two might see accelerated de-galvanizing...but heck with NO stainless in my tackle and some links start deteriorating in a year or so for whatever reason and have to be touched up.

Worst case scenario is you might have to re-galvanize your chain in 75 years if you left it in the water all that time.

Put the Bruce on the bow. If you are in grass pull out the Danford. If you anchor a lot you need a spare anchor on board regardless of the type.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom