Coolant removal from engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Has anyone used a large shop vac to suck the coolant up from the drain as it is draining to avoid having it go into the bilge? I don't have enough room under the engine drains to get a bucket or something like that. I am sure others have this issue but I am currious to know how other captains have solved it.

I have not. I drain mine into the bilge, then pump it out with a hand pump (the long kind with a hose on the discharge end). On my engine there are several drain points and it's not possible to hook a hose to some of them. I tried using hoses and such but since it was impossible to avoid spilling some and I had to clean up anyway, I decided to just let it go and then clean it up.

If you're considering a shop vac, I think a fluid pump would be a better choice. Remember, the coolant is toxic and dogs and cats are attracted to it so you would need to clean the vac after use.

Last edited:
I have a drain pan under my Lehman that catches the coolant, then I use my shop vac to clean out the pan. Works fine. Gets the oil residue also. Then I clean out the shop vac. No big deal.

Back
Top Bottom