Great barrier reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. P. As with all "long distance" news reports it's difficult to actually assess what's going on. You folks in Oceania must be equally appalled at some of the sensational reports from NA. Thanks for the insight.

Just a bit more on this, but from the flood perspective have a glance at these two stories. We get fairly major floods up in the north on average probably every 5 to ten years.

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/featured...and-coral-flood-plumes-and-great-barrier-reef

Floods threaten Great Barrier Reef, La Nia to blame - CNN.com

Below is a picture I found online showing the flood plume from the Burnett river, near Abbot pt, which I have marked for clarity.

Like I said, i feel its a bit of a tree hugger beat up, but I am by no means an expert on flood damage or dredging spoil damage, but I do know that there is 25 NM between Abbot pt and the reef and that flood plume is almost there in the picture.
Further south at Great Keppell Island there is reef surrounding it and its only a few miles from the coast.
Supposedly there was 100% coral death from the sediment dumped on it from the last flood so say some news reports.

Attachments

• Barrier-Reef.jpg
    Barrier-Reef.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Definitely a beat up. Abbot Point is a just jetty sticking out a long way, NOT a harbour of any kind with accumulated city and farm runoff containing all kinds of stuff. They plan to take some of the seafloor, 70% of which is sand, and move it about 20 km to provide a turning basin. There is no coral at the dump site, the nearest coral is 40km away. It took five years of expert studies, and approval for the project is supported by both major political parties. It comes with 47 conditions for managing environmental impact. I'm sure the greenies/rent-a-crowd would complain about breaking eggs to make an omelette.

Back
Top Bottom