New Expedition Powercat Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenniscaptain

Having a new 67' powercat being built. Many opinions will be needed from forum. First. I am thinking 3/8 temp. glass all around. Any opinions?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. If you're thinking open ocean, 3/8" probably won't be enough unless your window/ports are very small. Along the same lines, the window frames have to be substantial as well. Personally, I'd go with laminated safety glass rather than tempered. Once a piece of tempered glass lets go, you're left with a hole. Laminated might break and might stay in the frame giving you some protection from water ingress.
Granted it will take more to break the tempered but there's still the gaping hole factor.

This was my first Power Cat!

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 137
Powercat Glass width

Cannot find Domino's specs for glass. ABS seems to favor 10mm or more. So, 3/8 should be good. Thanks for the input,

Seems to me, on a yacht that size, having more than required would be best, not almost the min.

Last edited:
One problem with minimum strength laminated windows is that when structural loads are transferred to the window glass it will begin to delaminate. It shows up around the edges first and looks really awful.

For ultimate strength and security the Dashew's use 19mm glass on there FPB's. Of course the are any ocean rated vessels.

New Powercat Build

Just Catamarans in Dania Beach Fl. is finishing the build. They have some photos of her. She just arrived there 2 weeks ago. As far as glass. I think I read where Selene uses 3/8 glass everywhere but the pilothouse front. There, they use 1/2 inch. Using 1/2 inch for her pilothouse seems like a good idea.

Greetings,
Mr. RickB. I understand the de-lamination issue but shouldn't windows be mounted to eliminate/minimize any transfer of load to the windows. Applying excessive force to the edges of tempered glass (potentially the weakest "link") is not the best idea either. Perhaps tempered AND laminated in one piece is the way to go if such a product is made.
Maybe this added to tempered glass to keep the opening intact if failure occurs? Just throwing ideas out there...http://www.premadasa.lk/glass_strength.htm

Last edited:
Just Catamarans in Dania Beach Fl. is finishing the build. They have some photos of her. She just arrived there 2 weeks ago. As far as glass. I think I read where Selene uses 3/8 glass everywhere but the pilothouse front. There, they use 1/2 inch. Using 1/2 inch for her pilothouse seems like a good idea.

With all do respect. I have to ask the question.
Your building a 67' boat, I have to assume that an architect was involved. Seems he'd have a strong opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Architect and engineers have provided basic guidance. Sort of a minimal range for acceptable. Since this is a very custom build I have input as well.

But its not a new build is it?
Looks to be a refit/modification.

From this
1512099_628527963860419_894827061_o.jpg

to this
1653681_639891826057366_1362364594_n.jpg

Architect and engineers have provided basic guidance. Sort of a minimal range for acceptable.
Easy then and I would think the window manufacturer will have an idea as well. Go bigger if you feel the need depending on cruising grounds.
Pointless making it icebreaker tough if in its intended cruising area it'll never see more than 20 knots of breeze.

She is a new vessel not a refit. However she has a very long story to tell. Best to do with lots of alcohol available for pain! We are getting window bids now. I will take their opinions to heart. She won't be a North Sea icebreaker, but she must be fit enough for long passages. Thanks for the great advice.

Best of luck with it. For sure, 67 ft. of Expedition Cat is no place to skimp on windows for sure. That beast deserves the best.

Thanks so much. I would most appreciative for feedback on the build project. Many areas and applications are sort of new for a vessel like this.

Back
Top Bottom