Cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark

I stand corrected. Been to Haines, Hoonah, Gustavus, Pelican, et al, just not Skagway. For us in south central Alaska, southeast Alaska is another state. We overfly it on the way to Seattle. That's why we are keeping our boat in Wrangell. That way we can see all of it.

Tom

Been to Haines too. The highpoints seem to be the old fort and the hammer museum.

232323232%7Ffp53836%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A28699336nu0mrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
the thermometer outside my window says - 41c (whats that in farenheit ?)
-41f

Ironic that at a time when it is -41C in Canada, the other day here in Brisbane it reached +41C…putting the plus so you get the picture…it was fricken hot..! One place in central Queensland reached 48C..! (38C =~ 100F)

We were so glad we came in off the boat a day before to our air-conditioned home before that hit, because while it is usually cooler out on the bay than on land, and aircon not needed, once she gets much above 33C, the boat does get uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Arctic Blast --- Round 2

That's ice --- not snow. Lots of fun getting down the ramp (not)! KJ

1429-albums131-picture1105.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1106.jpg

We are having a heat wave here in South central Alaska.

A few years ago we droped to 50 below F

I set a cup of coffee out side to cool off it froze so fast the ice was hot.

SD

On January 15th I saw two mushrooms on a lawn, and a slug. Weird stuff for north coast BC!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been a cold week here in eastern North Carolina. Had ice and snow that has paralyzed the area for three days. Not use to this and makes us appreciate warmer weather

image-3757083604.jpg

image-3757083604.jpg

Counting the days til spring

Attachments

• image-446485063.jpg
    image-446485063.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 85
Got home to Signal Mtn, TN two weeks ago to find water streaming out of the garage -- which is built into the house. We're well off the road, so no one saw it for a week. Temps had gotten to -5 F in our neighborhood. Finished garage had to be stripped to the studs and dried out. Ceiling sheetrock had collapsed and everything soaked. The warm water even penetrated under the stamped concrete driveway pad outside, froze, heaved up and cracked it. We'd left the water running, never expecting temps like these. The boat in the backyard came through fine, though :thumb:

(No worries, Don. It was my previous house you built, not this one. :) )

KJ-my son lives about 30 miles north of you. He called me night before last to tell me about the sleet followed by snow. He said it was supposed to go down to 15 last night. A real mess in that area when you get snow and ice!

It has been a cold week here in eastern North Carolina. Had ice and snow that has paralyzed the area for three days. Not use to this and makes us appreciate warmer weather Counting the days til spring
Like the Rocna! :thumb:

Got home to Signal Mtn, TN two weeks ago to find water streaming out of the garage -- which is built into the house. We're well off the road, so no one saw it for a week. Temps had gotten to -5 F in our neighborhood. Finished garage had to be stripped to the studs and dried out. Ceiling sheetrock had collapsed and everything soaked. The warm water even penetrated under the stamped concrete driveway pad outside, froze, heaved up and cracked it. We'd left the water running, never expecting temps like these. The boat in the backyard came through fine, though :thumb:

(No worries, Don. It was my previous house you built, not this one. :) )

Whew! Having built a few hundred home up there, I do worry when temps drop that low.It was 9 in the valley recently. I saw one of my home owners had left their garage door open. I stopped and told them to close it and disconnect their water hose out side.

Tough luck on the freeze. I had a lady that would turn the heat off in her home to spend the winter in Texas. The house froze up twice before she learned to leave some heat on. The guys didn't mind working for her. They called her Miss Texas.

Here's the weather map for the day in various parts of Canada, and I guess for the next few weeks as well so they say.

Todays weather.jpg

The weather gods are against us!

Attachments

• 374483_10151842601411721_1810292394_n.jpg
    374483_10151842601411721_1810292394_n.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 82
Whew! Having built a few hundred home up there, I do worry when temps drop that low.It was 9 in the valley recently. I saw one of my home owners had left their garage door open. I stopped and told them to close it and disconnect their water hose out side.

Tough luck on the freeze. I had a lady that would turn the heat off in her home to spend the winter in Texas. The house froze up twice before she learned to leave some heat on. The guys didn't mind working for her. They called her Miss Texas.

Thanks. We're in a micro climate way back in Grandview. We think it froze when the power went out for a few hours on the coldest night. Never again will I leave for an extended time without draining the pipes.

Weather in Southern Southeast Alaska for the month of Febuary:
Ketchikan February Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for AK 99901

Extremely unusual, already have the boat pressure washed, and am planning on making a very early voyage!! Cheers to all and warm heart thoughts to you in the chill zones.

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Ok, I know it's nothing like you guys are having up North and elsewhere, but hey! I'm a native Floridian and this weather is Bbbbbbbbb....bullchit!:mad:
Where's the sunshine and warm weather!?

This keeps up, I'm moving further South (preferably where there's no extradition...just in case I have to take care of some bidness on the way out:D:whistling:)....

I was kind of looking forward to global warming, what happened??:lol: More snow coming tomorrow!!

Well, it's true, the weather here in most of FL hasn't been that great, but when I read about all the misery of pipe-freezing and such, it brings back those memories of laying on my back in sub zero in my crawl space, heating the pipes with an plumber's torch to break up the ice, replace split sections and couplings, even with pipe insulation and leaving the faucets dripping.....no thanks.

I live in Florida and my boat was in the boat yard this past month including last weeks freezes. I got her launched yesterday and returned to my home slip. Went to turn in the FW pump and heard the pump running and started checking faucets. Sure enough aft head faucet coupling failed at the faucet. No shut off.
Fwd head leaking too. Good time to put in a shut off valve as I repair.

Cold day at work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom