Boat Decals - Does it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Gents

I am still from the old school of using a brush and write the boat name with classic calligraphy. Yet I do not have that talent and friends tell me that plastic vinyl decal letters work fine and last forever (?????)

Forever? How long? Do you have numbers?

Thank you

Portuguese

Gents I am still from the old school of using a brush and write the boat name with classic calligraphy. Yet I do not have that talent and friends tell me that plastic vinyl decal letters work fine and last forever (?????) Forever? How long? Do you have numbers? Thank you Portuguese
They seem to last. We've had vinyl decals on our Camano for 3 years now.

The stern name lettering we did on Volunteer is original and 13 years old... still looks the same
HOLLYWOOD

I find the big problem for decal lettering is when the hull is pressure washed and the letter's edges get frayed by the water jet. Escaping that I have had them last for about 5 years.

I will assume that the decals on my boat were put on by the previous owner in 2000 or so. There's a small corner missing on one letter, otherwise they look just fine.

I bought matching decals for my dockbox from BoatUS Graphics five or six years ago and they are a perfect match and look fine as well.

I would say decals are the way to go except maybe for a classic boat. They would certainly be easier to remove if a name change was needed.

I see a lot of folks using pressure washers to clean boats, i still use bucket and brush. Have seen pressure washers take the paint off of a car. Name decals on previous boat, 7 years old and still looking new. I do own a pressure washer, and have used it, to clean bottom, just think its a bad idea from the deck up.

I see a lot of folks using pressure washers to clean boats, .............
Like any tool, especially a power tool,, a pressure washer requires a degree of skill to operate effectively and safely. It's best to learn these skills on something less expensive than your boat.

I don't use my pressure washer on my boat because it would be inconvenient to haul it to the marina and I try to keep the boat clean enough that it's not necessary. I've considered buying a low power electric pressure washer for the boat but haven't done so yet. Another use would be for the dock because the marina only pressure washes the dock a couple times a year and we tend to track dirt from the dock into the boat. I could just do behind my boat occasionally.

I did use a pressure washer on my previous boat the day I showed and sold it because it had been sitting on a trailer for several months without being washed and there was a lot of green pollen in places that were hard to clean.

I have been thinking about getting a small portable electric pressure washer (lower PSI) for use on the boat. Years ago Nordic used to make one with a shoulder strap, I had one for my fishing boat but it didn't last long. any suggestions?

I was a bit doubtful when I spent the dough for our "gold leaf" style lettering on Bucky's stern and side-boards. Then I also did the boot stripe in the vinyl. 3.5 years now....still looks the same.

Be sure to purchase a high quality cast vinyl. 3M or such. The sign maker said 10-15 years life expectancy in my climate.

15 years on Bay Pelican. Only damage is from scrapes.

Ours has 16 years so far.

1998NewMoonTransom.JPG

Guys

Thank you for your help in both issues, the decals and the pressure washer.
Decals will be.

Mr Cook, nice name!!!

Portuguese

Hand painted by a young pro sign painter who perfected our hand drawing on paper and set his stencil on transom to guide in applying paint. It's portions stand for thangs! Used auto pin striping paint. Couple of 1/4" nicks happened in last five years from grand kids horsn round on swim step with cans, boat hook and the like. We picked up an assortment of Testor model paint at art store w/ couple brushes. Still looks as new. Artist said should last for couple decades no problem. I would not pressure wash there. I do brush over with soft brush occasionally and often spray with hose.

Attachments

• The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 124
  • TO_Arrow Thru Heart_100_1657.jpg
    TO_Arrow Thru Heart_100_1657.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
The embossed metal "Albin deluxe" logos on either side of the pilothouse were removed for painting the deck and house. The logos had been previously painted silver, and remounted with the aide of something like epoxy putty, and so they're condition is now "less than nice".

They will be replaced by a pair of custom metallic decals.

Steve, I have a Greenworks 1700 psi that has seen a LOT of use in the last two years. It comes with 4 different nozzles, ranging from real aggressive (will cut your foot, trust me.....) to just a little stronger than a garden hose.

It also has a reel for the HP hose. $195
Shop Greenworks 1700-PSI 1.4-GPM Electric Pressure Washer at Lowes.com"

Funny - I clicked on the link and read the reviews. Some folks said it was the best thing since sliced bread, others say it's a piece of crap. Apparently, yours is fine for you.

I was thinking of something smaller just for the boat and something I can just leave in the dock box. I already have a gas pressure washer at home.

Boy that new moon transom sure looks pretty. Ours (name and a big graphic, a British Royal Navy crest) still looks pretty good after three years in South Dakota. At this rate I'd give it about 6-7 years before it starts to look shabby. Of course we're fresh water and the boats sit frozen in the marina yard half of each year.

Our marina decks are Ipe wood, and we're forbidden to use pressure washers on them. Pressure washers can't be good for any wood, but I do use mine once a year or so on my deck at home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom