Charter--Abaco vs BVI ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far this has been a super winter here. The sea has been flat and we are still diving the outer reefs without a wet suit. Very few cruisers around compared to past years. Guess they all followed the herd to Georgetown. So y'all come on over.

Got an answer on the GTC question from the charter company. If you want to do that they make sure you know that they have to chase boats over there, they charge an extra $250, and they require a $4500 deposit in a cashiers check.

Not sure it's worth all that...

They really don't want the boat over there obviously, and I guess I can understand that. Lots of goofballs chartering these boats I'm sure.

Which charter company?. Moorings let me take their 50' up to Walkers. GTC is usually their northern limit, we see them up here all the time. Moorings is really well run.

Which charter company?. Moorings let me take their 50' up to Walkers. GTC is usually their northern limit, we see them up here all the time. Moorings is really well run.

Small company called Cruise Abaco. Been around for awhile. They seem like nice folks. Mark and Patti Gonsalves.

We've done both, on charters and our own boat, and for us it's the Virgin Islands hands down.

Bob

My wife and I worked as a captain/chef team aboard both power and sail charter yachts in the USVI and BVI for several years before retiring in 2011. As you correctly point out, flights from the US to Tortola can be complicated and expensive. Far easier and cheaper is flying from the US to St. Thomas, USVI, then taking the short and inexpensive ferry trip over to the BVI. Any number of US departure points (including Houston) have non-stops to STT, making the flight simple and relatively inexpensive...just something to consider should you go with the BVI rather than Abacos. I've cruised both over the years and enjoyed both. BTW, going to the BVI in June you'll find much less crowding than during the high season (winter). Charter rates in summer are much lower as well. Why not enjoy both...do one this year, the other next year?

I know them, Good folks, well maintained boats. They also have some rental homes. You might want to price the Moorings as well.

I know them, Good folks, well maintained boats. They also have some rental homes. You might want to price the Moorings as well.

I priced the Moorings but they were quite a bit more expensive.

Both have thier +'s & -'s - have done both ( and now living in the Abaco's in a dirt house ) - Mountains in the Virgins - lots more private, off a sandy beach anchorages in Abaco's - not so much in the Virgins - theres a charge for most mooring balls in the Virgins with lots of boats around you - there is an issue going back and forth bewteen the BVI's and USVI's ( customs ) - flying in to STT or MHH is easy - both use eye ball navigation - both are fabulous cruising grounds - Captian K makes a good point - one year Virgins, next year the Abaco's - then the next time someone has question like this, you can jump in with your comments - you'll enjoy both for sure

I'm going to try to run "Louisa" to the Abacos in mid to late spring. What is the consensus on when the weather is best? I hear May, June is best. How 'bout late March, April? Easier for me to go early (for work reasons), but no point in going down there for snotty weather.

I've run down to s.fla in the mid winter twice in this boat (because I could get away from work), and the weather sucked. Better than NC, but not "Caribbean" nice. Never could get a crossing window to the Bahamas.

I'm going to try to run "Louisa" to the Abacos in mid to late spring. What is the consensus on when the weather is best? I hear May, June is best. How 'bout late March, April? Easier for me to go early (for work reasons), but no point in going down there for snotty weather.

I've run down to s.fla in the mid winter twice in this boat (because I could get away from work), and the weather sucked. Better than NC, but not "Caribbean" nice. Never could get a crossing window to the Bahamas.

You heard right. By that time the northerlies are less frequent, and the prevailing easterlies have taken over. SE is best. You can leave from Fort Pierce Inlet crossing to enter the Bank at White Sand Ridge. Then to Great Sale Cay. About 100 total miles. If weather is calm you could anchor most anywhere on the Bank.

I've been in most months of the year now....don't go in March, it may be the worst month of the entire year, certainly no better than January or February. I like June, May can be good too, but we had a lot of wind a couple of times in May. It was a mill pond in July '12 but hot. Blew more than I expected in July '13.

Don is right on, you can make the run through White Sand if you have enough boat speed to do it, skipping West End and Old Bahama Bay. Only thing I may respectfully add to his advice is that I have found it a little better to go on down to Stuart and use the stream to push you North on the way over, it helps our boat, even at 15 knots. On the way back I like to work down to West End and cross to Stuart, again using the stream for help.

That darn Sabre is fast, he may not even notice the stream's push. It gives us about a knot or so, SOG.

Doug, from Fort Pierce we are usually on the Little Bahama Bank in 2 to 2/12 hours. We crossed from Stuart one time with about 5' head seas. For comfort we cut back to 14.5 knots. Then, since we were not trying to make the Abacos that day, we cruised on the Bank about 18 knots. We were anchored at Great Sale by 1:30 pm. Took a swim while hot dogs were on the grill. There is not much better near coastal cruising to be had.

Last edited:
Doug, from Fort Pierce we are usually on the Little Bahama Bank in 2 to 2/12 hours. We crossed from Stuart one time with about 5' head seas. For comfort we cut back to 14.5 knots. Then, since we were not trying to make the Abacos that day, we cruised on the Bank about 18 knots. We were anchored at Great Sale by 1:30 pm. Took a swim while hot dogs were on the grill. There is not much better near coastal cruising to be had.
Thats what we plan to do, except will ride the stream from Fort Lauderdale, then get on the bank and anchor at Great Sale Cay, then next morning head to Spanish for a couple days then onto GTC, Treasure, Marsh etc.

Sky - Having cruised in the Abaco's about 6 or 7 times over the past 30 years, both on chartered boats and our own sailboat and now living here, May & June " tend " to be the best - winds subside and thus seas also, water temps increase , still not too hot air temp, less buggy or no bugs at all, less boat traffic, all to yourself anchorages off soft as silk white sandy beaches - regarding the crossing, try to avold West End - too busy ! instead go West Palm or Jupiter to Memory Rock and anchor off Great Sale for the night - about 100 miles assuming you have the range and clear in Spanish Cay
still need your help with our Northern Light 8 kw gen/set on Boatdiesel -

Tracie are you a native of Columbia? Do you know Ronnie Millsap?:D

It has been a long time, but I put a few houses out there in Tyrell and Washington Counties.

Tracie- Bump your post on boatdiesel so I can find it easier.

Moonstruck - we keep our 36' Grand Banks there but will bring her over here ( Lubbers Quaters Cay, Abaco ) next winter after doing 2 months of work in the spring and doing the Long Island Sound this summer -
Skync - don't know how to " bump " - very low IT - check on boatdiesel/generators/ bruce marino - thanks

Thats what we plan to do, except will ride the stream from Fort Lauderdale, then get on the bank and anchor at Great Sale Cay, then next morning head to Spanish for a couple days then onto GTC, Treasure, Marsh etc.

Don: Moving up to our new, faster boat allowed us to skip OBB and West End on the way over, a nice luxury. 100 miles, a good chunk of which is the stream, was just too long a day at 7.5 rolly knots.

N47 and Don. The Great Sale to Spanish route is what most people typically do, and it is a nice one. My humble suggestion though is that you are skipping right past some of the best cruising the Abaco's have to offer if you do that, namely Grand Cay, Double Breasted, Carter's, Morraine and Allen's P. As an alternative try running straight to Grand rather than to Great Sale. Clear there, (they will do it on Grand rather than Walker's but may charge you an extra $20) then work your way down toward the Hub of Abaco. Grand is rough on the surface, but we have grown to love it there.

I know a lot of people like it, but we have stopped at Spanish 4 times for a total of 6 nights. Twice the service was good, twice they were down right rude, the only tome we have found that in the Abacos. Dockage is really high $ (they KILL you on power and water), the basin is a mess in the wrong winds as the waves roll right over the breakwall, and the beaches by Abaco standards are just so-so. They do have a nice bar with fun games and an OK pool. Lot's of Sportfish guys go there, which usually creates bad attitudes amongst marina staff and high prices, this malaise has hit Spanish pretty hard. I'd skip it unless you are desperate for fuel.

Don: Moving up to our new, faster boat allowed us to skip OBB and West End on the way over, a nice luxury. 100 miles, a good chunk of which is the stream, was just too long a day at 7.5 rolly knots. N47 and Don. The Great Sale to Spanish route is what most people typically do, and it is a nice one. My humble suggestion though is that you are skipping right past some of the best cruising the Abaco's have to offer if you do that, namely Grand Cay, Double Breasted, Carter's, Morraine and Allen's P. As an alternative try running straight to Grand rather than to Great Sale. Clear there, (they will do it on Grand rather than Walker's but may charge you an extra $20) then work your way down toward the Hub of Abaco. Grand is rough on the surface, but we have grown to love it there. I know a lot of people like it, but we have stopped at Spanish 4 times for a total of 6 nights. Twice the service was good, twice they were down right rude, the only tome we have found that in the Abacos. Dockage is really high $ (they KILL you on power and water), the basin is a mess in the wrong winds as the waves roll right over the breakwall, and the beaches by Abaco standards are just so-so. They do have a nice bar with fun games and an OK pool. Lot's of Sportfish guys go there, which usually creates bad attitudes amongst marina staff and high prices, this malaise has hit Spanish pretty hard. I'd skip it unless you are desperate for fuel.
We for one like Spanish they've always been nice to us. So I'm not sure what you did to get yourself treated like that. we also like the dock fishing and shark fishing. so we will continue to go to Spanish. As for double breasted and grand cays I'll take a look at the charts.

Cardude,
We have chartered from Mark and Patti two years in a row. I believe you may be on the boat we had in early December. It ran well but we never used the available speed. I would recommend going to Little Harbor if you have not been. (It's as far south as the charter company will let you go.) It's pretty easy to get into if you read the cruising guide and try it on something beside low tide with that boat. We didn't get to meet the famous Pete of Pete's Pub fame but did have a great burger there. (as an aside; Pete's father's book is a bit interesting and can be found on line- An Artist On His Island. It's about there life on Little Harbor when there was nothing but a small lighthouse there) Let me know if you want tips on hauling the dingy up into the davits. When we were there it was a new rig and there was no winch so it was all manual. There is a trick that works pretty well and can be done even if you re no an NFL linebacker. I've also got to give a plug for Mark and Capt. (Pirate) Joe. We had an issue with the original dingy motor and they brought us a replacement, at night, while we were on a mooring in Hope Town. It was all service with a smile and we enjoyed the trips immensely. (Capt Joe is sometimes called pirate Joe since he was in the, I believe, second Pirates of the Carribean movie.) He's great to have a beer with! Tell him we said hello.

Last edited:
We for one like Spanish they've always been nice to us. So I'm not sure what you did to get yourself treated like that. we also like the dock fishing and shark fishing. so we will continue to go to Spanish. As for double breasted and grand cays I'll take a look at the charts.

I'm quite certain that we didn't "do anything to get ourselves treated that way" except pull in on a couple of days, spaced out by two years, when we happened to be the smallest boat in the marina and the rest were mostly sportifish boats.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a fisherman. I was a saltwater fly fishing guide for 14 years, I have fished at a very high level for most of my life and at one time was into the competitive tournament thing. I paid for our first boat partly by saving three years worth of tips.

But the world of big Vikings and Buddy Davis' is populated by a different breed, some of whom are awesome people many of whom are not. It is a lot about what boat you are on (notice I didn't say what boat you own) not about your skills as a fisherman.

Two of the 4 times we were there I think their staff bought into that attitude. The other two times they did not. Though nothing was ever said, I got the distinct feeling that they just plain didn't want us there.

At this stage we have spent about 7 months spread out over 5 years cruising the Abacos, we have been into pretty much every Marina and most of the anchorages. We LOVE it there, especially the people. Like I said I've never experienced that attitude anywhere but Spanish.

The managers from Texas (I think his name is Chuck?) are super nice. It was the bar and dock staff.

You are right, the dock fishing can be awesome there. We chummed in a ton of snaps and got a really nice Mutton right off the dock one afternoon.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it there, I hope I didn't sour you on it, I'm just passing on our experience.

You can get into the the face dock at Rosie's but you may have trouble getting into some spots on Double Breasted with your draft. Feel free to shoot me a message if you decide to try it, I'll be happy to talk to you about what we have done in the past.

Doug

Last edited:
I'm quite certain that we didn't "do anything to get ourselves treated that way" except pull in on a couple of days, spaced out by two years, when we happened to be the smallest boat in the marina and the rest were mostly sportifish boats. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a fisherman. I was a saltwater fly fishing guide for 14 years, I have fished at a very high level for most of my life and at one time was into the competitive tournament thing. I paid for our first boat partly by saving three years worth of tips. But the world of big Vikings and Buddy Davis' is populated by a different breed, some of whom are awesome people many of whom are not. It is a lot about what boat you are on (notice I didn't say what boat you own) not about your skills as a fisherman. Two of the 4 times we were there I think their staff bought into that attitude. The other two times they did not. Though nothing was ever said, I got the distinct feeling that they just plain didn't want us there. At this stage we have spent about 7 months spread out over 5 years cruising the Abacos, we have been into pretty much every Marina and most of the anchorages. We LOVE it there, especially the people. Like I said I've never experienced that attitude anywhere but Spanish. The managers from Texas (I think his name is Chuck?) are super nice. It was the bar and dock staff. You are right, the dock fishing can be awesome there. We chummed in a ton of snaps and got a really nice Mutton right off the dock one afternoon. Anyway, I'm glad you like it there, I hope I didn't sour you on it, I'm just passing on our experience. You can get into the the face dock at Rosie's but you may have trouble getting into some spots on Double Breasted with your draft. Feel free to shoot me a message if you decide to try it, I'll be happy to talk to you about what we have done in the past. Doug
We went there multiple times in our 31 camano (before our Nordy came along) and they were always happy to see us.Anyways I've looked at the charts and it would be easiest for us to just anchor out by double breasted.

Attachments

• image-3306966285.jpg
    image-3306966285.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 96
If someone is chartering a boat , to see how they like it , in the BVI its closer to get out from behind the islands into real ocean to judge the boat.

A dock queen build with no hand holds becomes obvious in about 15Min.

IF the boat was not designed for people , not much chance it was designed to be moved much, or often.

Last edited:
Not sure how that pic got there.

I wondered about that pic. You can anchor out by double breasted rocks and take the dinghy into sand cay really easily. I hope you have a great trip.

Doug

I would do Whale Cay Passage if weather is good. If you don't hit one of those metal poles in the old ship channel it's a piece of cake. In a "rage" it can take you out. We usually run it at 25 to 26 knots. Sometimes we are towing our dinghy. If you want to get away from the charter boats, go north.

I know this is an old thread, but I was re-reading it and saw this statement by Don. I cruised through that old ship channel this summer and was freaking out about the missing or broken off at the water level old steel poles.

I didn’t have any trouble, but was wondering if that was still a problem? My Explorer chart also warned about the poles. On the way back I didn’t use the old chip channel and almost ran aground on a big sandbar.

I didn’t have any trouble, but was wondering if that was still a problem? My Explorer chart also warned about the poles. On the way back I didn’t use the old chip channel and almost ran aground on a big sandbar.

I go over a couple of times a year and can attest that those poles mean business!

We have run Don't Rock a few times in the smaller rental boats but stick to whale passage and the channel in the big boat.

I go over a couple of times a year and can attest that those poles mean business!

We have run Don't Rock a few times in the smaller rental boats but stick to whale passage and the channel in the big boat.

So what’s the strategy for not hitting them? Just try to stay in the middle of the channel? I think that’s what I did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom