Cheoy Lee 32ft Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllanY

Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee, Trawler
In my search for a boat I have come across a 32 ft double cabin Cheoy Lee trawler
Has anyone any knowledge of these??
It has a 120hp ford with 1000 liters of water and 2000 liters of fuel

From what I can acertain they are a round bilge

Do they roll a lot??
What kind of seaboats are they??
What sort of economy can I expect??
What cruising speed and at what revs can I expect??

Allan

Hi, Allan, back before my wife said* "no way", to an aft cabin trawler, and it was out of my price range at the time anyway, I had a brief love affair with exactly one of these, and even had a marine diesel mechanic friend give one the once-over.* He felt it was well-made - at least to the standard of the CHB group or a tad better.* The engine is the same - if looked after at least reasonably well, a legend for reliability and easy self-service.* The water-line length means a economical cruise at 6-6.5 kn, @ ~ 1850 rpm, with good economy, ~ 7 l/hour, I'd say, and the feature that makes then roomier than many of similar length is their pratice of taking the topsides volume right up to the gunwhale height, rather than a recessed walkaround deck, and to compansate they place fairly massive guard rails all round.* Some (eg if young children likely to come along), see this a slight downside, but normally not an issue.* The internal volume therefore compares favourably with a CHB*tri or aft cabin, which I presume is what you mean when you say double cabin.* The tankage sounds good - depending on the state of the tanks - also they had laid teak decks, so that is another area for close attention.* Where is she, by the way?
PB

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 11:13:00 PM

Hi Peter
Thanks for the reply
The boat is down the Gold Coast
The tanks are glassed in so hopefully ok
The decks have been ripped up and relaid in a bed of epoxy

They are a carvel hull so i wonter about the rolly polly effect with a bit of swell

Allan

Allan, the question of roll stability as a function of hull shape is a moot point. I suspect it does not make that much difference as long as the x-section of the shape is more rectangular than round, but that is where, if you are really getting serious, and good old sea trial, outside the bay would be good.

Hi Peter

I agree however I have read some statements that they roll badly.
Looking at the underwater profile I suspect they may be right
Just want to hear if from someone that owns or has owned one

Allan

A boat that rolls easily at displacement speeds is usually more comfortable in a seaway.

Flopper stoppers will work if you don't spend enough time offshore to develop Sea Legs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom