I'm back :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MBA-Sailor

Hi Everyone,

After being boat-less for about a year and a half, I have made the foolish decision of looking to buy another boat.
I sold my Marine Trader 43 in Boston in late 2012, and am now in Florida (West Coast), and looking for a boat here in the area.
On the fence wether I should get a trawler, a sport fish, or a small trailerable walk-around with outboards.
Still weighing the pros and cons for each... but thinking something smaller than a 43' might be the right option for me, now.
Happy to be back,
Phillip

Hi Everyone, After being boat-less for about a year and a half, I have made the foolish decision of looking to buy another boat. I sold my Marine Trader 43 in Boston in late 2012, and am now in Florida (West Coast), and looking for a boat here in the area. On the fence wether I should get a trawler, a sport fish, or a small trailerable walk-around with outboards. Still weighing the pros and cons for each... but thinking something smaller than a 43' might be the right option for me, now. Happy to be back, Phillip
Welcome aboard. My vote is buy a trawler.

Thanks Oliver!
Also wanted to mention - in a shameless attempt at inviting myself aboard... if anyone is in the Tampa area, and looking for experienced crew to take a ride on their boat for a day, I am available, and will bring food :-D

Welcome (back) aboard...from a fellow Tampan....(have to watch how you say that...:rofl:)

OD

Thanks Oliver!
Also wanted to mention - in a shameless attempt at inviting myself aboard... if anyone is in the Tampa area, and looking for experienced crew to take a ride on their boat for a day, I am available, and will bring food :-D

Yeah, uh....what about beer?

Hi Larry,
I figured the beer goes without saying... food is the "above and beyond" item :)

Sure you didn't just lose the boat. I thought florida and tampa were on the east coast

Seyfer - it depends if you're facing north or south... ;)

And, I meant the west coast of Florida :)

You next should be Tollycraft :speed boat: :socool:

Need I say more!?!? :D

Hi Everyone,

After being boat-less for about a year and a half, I have made the foolish decision of looking to buy another boat.
I sold my Marine Trader 43 in Boston in late 2012, and am now in Florida (West Coast), and looking for a boat here in the area.
On the fence wether I should get a trawler, a sport fish, or a small trailerable walk-around with outboards.
Still weighing the pros and cons for each... but thinking something smaller than a 43' might be the right option for me, now.
Happy to be back,
Phillip

Welcome back to boating. We sold our boat in May, intending to take a couple of years off--my wife says I started looking again the next day--well almost maybe, but we bought our new, used boat in August. Never be without a boat--it just ain't natural!

Tollycraft built two generations of 48 Motor Yachts. The original version, in production from 1976 to 1986, was updated only slightly in 1991, when a few styling changes were made to the flybridge. The 48′s original 320 hp Caterpillar diesels

Tollycraft 48 Motor Yacht - Articles - boats.com

Engine Information
Manufacturer: Caterpillar E Type: Inboard Model: 3208T Fuel Type: Diesel Horse Power Year Approx. Hours Condition Overhaul Hours O/H Date #1 260 1986 3162 Original #2 260 1986 3162 Original

http://www.yachtcouncil.com/Used/44...-FL?Boatsforsalesearch=basicinfo&vessel=86615

Last edited:
Art,

Did Tollycraft make diesel-powered models? All Tollys I've seen, and that's not too many, have been gas.

Yup! A few 34'ers, sedan cockpit and tri cabin sun deck, came special order factory equipped with diesels. Some of same models/size repowered to diesel. Most that size and nearly all shorter lengths came w/ gas engines. 37' and 40'ers were a mix... mostly gas I believe. 43', 44' and 45'ers were also a mix... lending toward diesel the longer they got. 48' came nearly all diesels. Any larger and I believe they were pretty much all diesel. That said; many Tolly of most sizes mentioned have had either engine rebuilds or replacements. ;)

Tollycraft are exceptionally well designed and sturdy built boats. As with all aged classics... survey/reason to purchase one now relies heavily on care it was given by all previous owners! :thumb:

IMHO - Go Tolly GO!! YRMV - lol :D

Yup! A few 34'ers, sedan cockpit and tri cabin sun deck, came special order factory equipped with diesels. Some of same models/size repowered to diesel. Most that size and nearly all shorter lengths came w/ gas engines. 37' and 40'ers were a mix... mostly gas I believe. 43', 44' and 45'ers were also a mix... lending toward diesel the longer they got. 48' came nearly all diesels. Any larger and I believe they were pretty much all diesel. That said; many Tolly of most sizes mentioned have had either engine rebuilds or replacements. ;)

Tollycraft are exceptionally well designed and sturdy built boats. As with all aged classics... survey/reason to purchase one now relies heavily on care it was given by all previous owners! :thumb:

IMHO - Go Tolly GO!! YRMV - lol :D

Thanks! :thumb:

Welcome aboard. My vote is buy a trawler.

Bliss moves at six knots:

232323232%7Ffp543%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A678%3C4336nu0mrj

5.5 to 5.75 knots on one engine at approx 2.75 nmpg

6.5 to 6.75 knots w/ twins at approx 2 nmpg (7.58 knots is our Tolly’s calced hull speed – there it’s approx 1.5 nmpg – might as well plane out to next speed mentioned)

16 to 17 knots at approx 1 nmpg

21 to 22 knots WOT at OMG??? mnpg!! Never go there except for emergency short burst or to check motors. Visited WOT 3 times in 5.5 yrs. Once during orig sea trials for a clocked 3 minutes. Once to get da hell out of a boating mess while ushering The Maltese Falcon into SF Bay, for maybe 1.5 minutes. And, once for 60 seconds +/- to race a friend... he quickly won in his 27' Fountain 90 mph speedester! LOL

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom