Nordhavn 46 with crows nest anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I have never seen a Nordhavn 46 with a front mast used for a crows nest before. I thought it was a motorsailor at first, but the broker said there is no sail. Kind of strange. Kind of cool. Can't afford it so I guess it doesn't matter. :)

image-2405579526.jpg

I have never seen a Nordhavn 46 with a front mast used for a crows nest before. I thought it was a motorsailor at first, but the broker said there is no sail. Kind of strange. Kind of cool. Can't afford it so I guess it doesn't matter. :)
Yeah I've seen them before. I don't like the look my self; different folks: different strokes.

One of the main reasons I moved from sailboats to power, was not having to wait for bridges to open.

The crows nest is pretty handy when picking your way through a reef at a Pacific atoll.

If that were our boat, my Admiral would assign me foul-weather lookout duty frequently.:rolleyes:

If that were our boat, my Admiral would assign me foul-weather lookout duty frequently.:rolleyes:
I couldn't handle that perch in bad weather-- would have to send one of the kids up there. :)

Hey I recognize that place. That Nordy docks across the channel from our boat. In this picture shes passing Molls Leg in Solomons Md. Its a very nice boat. Looks like the picture was taken from the Chesapeake Bay Pilots station.

I suppose one could remove the front mast and all the stays if it became a bother/eyesore/bridgebumper? Or is it built into the deck somehow?

I'm sure your able to remove it, but you'll need a fiberglass guy.

Are you suggesting that the masts are fiberglass? Maybe on your new Nordy, but not this old girl.;)

Are you suggesting that the masts are fiberglass? Maybe on your new Nordy, but not this old girl.;)
No, I should of phrased that differently. I meant a fiberglass guy to patch the thru-bolt's and wire pull holes on the deck.;)

Or a Photoshop guy. This is one of those boats that I don't miss the forward mast for appearance. If the pilothouse were more aft, maybe, but not this one. I think it looks more balanced without it.

Attachments

• de-masted nordy 46.jpg
    de-masted nordy 46.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 158
Or a Photoshop guy. This is one of those boats that I don't miss the forward mast for appearance. If the pilothouse were more aft, maybe, but not this one. I think it looks more balanced without it.

Now it looks like a girly boat. Being in the crows nest shouting, "land ho". Now, that's manly.:socool:

With the paravanes and dry stack exhaust you would only be going through high rises bridges with calling for openings. Somehow I don't that there have been many bridges where that boat has been.

Last edited:
Yep! Hit it right on the head. The forward mast totally wrecks the all the aesthetic value of the whole boat IMO.

This was an interesting example...fun to play with. Here it is again as is in photo 2 and with the pilothouse moved back about 4-5 ft. on photo 1.

Attachments

• nordy 46 as-is.jpg
    nordy 46 as-is.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 564
  • pilothouse moved back nordy 46.jpg
    pilothouse moved back nordy 46.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 134
I don’t think you can lose the mast. It appears to be the forward stay for the paravane stabilizers. Without it they would get a bit sloppy.

Dave

Yeah, I think I would keep it. I've always wanted to holler "land ho", and it would be good for navigation...

image-984413562.jpg

It looks better without the mast and crow`s nest. It would look worse without them stuck on a rock in a dodgy anchorage.

Crows Nest

I'm not aware of the crows nest being standard equipment on the N46. In fact the only boat it was standard equipment is the N35 (see attached picture). It is fun to get up there and look around and practical when in the shallows. Much less expensive then adding a flybridge plus it looks cool.

John N3522
La Tempestad

Attachments

• N3522 Front Side View.jpg
    N3522 Front Side View.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 136
the 46 has really classic looks ...
with the fly bridge and the Crows Nest not so much.
as much as I love a fly bridge there's no way I would want one on a N 46

Hollywood

It looks better without the mast and crow`s nest. It would look worse without them stuck on a rock in a dodgy anchorage.

Quite right, Bruce. There is a reason that many passagemakers are not things of beauty but practicality. Self edit: Beat you to it mods. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.:hide:

Last edited:
the 46 has really classic looks ...
with the fly bridge and the Crows Nest not so much.
as much as I love a fly bridge there's no way I would want one on a N 46

Hollywood

I'd have to concur with Bruce and Don on that.

Attachments

• de-masted de-flyd nordy 46.jpg
    de-masted de-flyd nordy 46.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 101
Sails Rigged

They look cool with the sails rigged. Although this one has no fly bridge.

Attachments

• Nordhaven 46.jpg
    Nordhaven 46.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 418
Sails and flying bridges don't usually go hand-in-hand.

img_209263_0_be3d2ea386eb8cf879616647c6202bbb.jpg

Flying bridges interfere with sails, besides significantly increasing boat costs and unwanted windage.

Despite our high windage our boat doesn't move easily, I couple weeks ago we went for a quick canal ride, came back to dock with 30 kts of wind abeam and barley moved.

img_209384_0_be3d2ea386eb8cf879616647c6202bbb.jpg

Flying bridges interfere with sails, besides significantly increasing boat costs and unwanted windage.

That's funny!... sail would interfere with the flybridge in my view ...
Or the view from my flybridge for that matter.
One of the reasons I got into trawlers is to get rid of sails!..
To each their own.

HOLLYWOOD

One of the reasons I got into trawlers is to get rid of sails!..
To each their own.

Yes! Still, my Coot's sails satisfy a remnant of my sailing needs as well as adding a fraction of a knot of speed and additional stability when wind is from the beam.

The smaller "main" sail added 0.2 knots: with the larger jib, the sails would have added 0.5 knots. That's not insignificant for a six-knot boat.

img_209387_0_ecf6def6c902dc00febb457a9823e25a.jpg

Last edited:
Having spent many hours in Tuna towers it really isnt a good spot to be, I would remove a lot of that clutter.

Having spent many hours in Tuna towers it really isnt a good spot to be, I would remove a lot of that clutter.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine all the clinking and clanging going on well underway. I've also spent many ours on tuna towers ain't that bad as long as you making some sort of headway.

img_209472_0_be3d2ea386eb8cf879616647c6202bbb.jpg

. . . . . , but Mark, think how cool it would be to be up in a crows nest wearing your thong, and cruising around San Francisco Bay.:hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom