A Selene Convert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Now if you could get her to fall in love with a wealthy senile 90 year old that would marry her and make you his skipper your would have it all. And in two years when the old fart croaks you get the wife back AND a new boat
:smitten:

HOLLYWOOD

Now if you could get her to fall in love with a wealthy senile 90 year old that would marry her and make you his skipper your would have it all. And in two years when the old fart croaks you get the wife back AND a new boat
:smitten:

HOLLYWOOD

I rather suspect mine could make him croak in < a year. :D

That is a fine boat. But it's $300.00 over my budget. Moving on.

OMG!!! What's not to love? I'd trade in my GB for that boat. :dance:

I'd view this vessel as a tweener. Maybe light on fuel capacity for serious blue water work but about $700K to 1M more than a 62 or 64 Nordhavn that is blue water capable. Or about $800K to 1M more than a 65' Outer Reef that is of similar size but with better layout and possibly better build quality. Or how about a used 65' or new 58' Fleming for the same price as the Selene? Lots of competition out there.

BTW, the used Nordhavn market has boomed as compared to a brief few years ago.

But give it to Selene, they do catch one's eye.

I'd view this vessel as a tweener. Maybe light on fuel capacity for serious blue water work but about $700K to 1M more than a 62 or 64 Nordhavn that is blue water capable. Or about $800K to 1M more than a 65' Outer Reef that is of similar size but with better layout and possibly better build quality. Or how about a used 65' or new 58' Fleming for the same price as the Selene? Lots of competition out there.

BTW, the used Nordhavn market has boomed as compared to a brief few years ago.

But give it to Selene, they do catch one's eye.

I agree with you 100%. It's a nice vessel for sure, but it does lack in the fuel department. I would take a Fleming over the Selene any day, even though the 58 and the 65 lacks a little bit in fuel department as well. But that is me.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster

Beautiful boat for sure. Not sure why some think 2300 gallons is lacking but hey, for some the glass is half empty etc etc :)

Yep, I was about to write a check but changed my mind because of the fuel capacity! ;)

I think the reason so many manufactures are able to produce and sell boats is that people's needs and tastes are different. Some focus on one thing or things, others focus on something different.

Fortunately, my lifestyle and needs are satisfied with a much smaller, much less expensive boat than that.

Beautiful boat for sure. Not sure why some think 2300 gallons is lacking but hey, for some the glass is half empty etc etc :)

That's close to $10K to fill up in the USA. That's more than some people pay for a boat.

To compete with the Nordhavns, 2300 gal may be tight on a CA to Hilo run. Lurking in the back of my mind also is the claim made against Selene for inflating fuel capacity. For nearly $3M one doesn't want to get cut short on the boat's intended mission - serious blue water cruising.

To compete with the Nordhavns, 2300 gal may be tight on a CA to Hilo run. Lurking in the back of my mind also is the claim made against Selene for inflating fuel capacity. For nearly $3M one doesn't want to get cut short on the boat's intended mission - serious blue water cruising.

Here you go

Truth in tankage at issue in lawsuit

H. Foster

That does it. I'm keeping my GB 42. At my tankage I have 1100 mile range and I'm good with coastal cruising.

Selene has had quality control issues over the years. I know a few years ago, a Port Townsend company did their warranty work and the electrical systems and wiring were always an adventure, seldom the same in any two boats. They were not complementary about the build quality. To this day, you can stand at the bow, sight down the hull, and if the light is right, you can see the glass cloth pattern through the gelcoat. Their selling point has always been that they are 25-30% cheaper than a comparable Nordy or KK. To me, the price differential is worth it to ensure the quality.

Selene has had quality control issues over the years. I know a few years ago, a Port Townsend company did their warranty work and the electrical systems and wiring were always an adventure, seldom the same in any two boats. They were not complementary about the build quality. To this day, you can stand at the bow, sight down the hull, and if the light is right, you can see the glass cloth pattern through the gelcoat. Their selling point has always been that they are 25-30% cheaper than a comparable Nordy or KK. To me, the price differential is worth it to ensure the quality.

Damn... wish I'd read this thread 3 years ago...:whistling:

Dave

To this day, you can stand at the bow, sight down the hull, and if the light is right, you can see the glass cloth pattern through the gelcoat.

Heck, you can see the print-through on a Hinckley without having to get the light right. It doesn't mean the construction is suspect. It's not what we call a "yacht quality" finish but then again you aren't paying for one either.

That's what you get for having a good proportion between resin and glass and not having another few hundred pounds of fairing of overly thick gelcoat.

Damn... wish I'd read this thread 3 years ago...:whistling:

Dave

Yeah, don't tell Brian Calvert either who has been enjoying his 48 Selene for the past few years as he cruised from Seattle to the Marquesas and then on to the South Seas.

Yeah, don't tell Brian Calvert either who has been enjoying his 48 Selene for the past few years as he cruised from Seattle to the Marquesas and then on to the South Seas.

Damn...ya beat me to it....

Brian's website:
Home | Furthur Adventure

Can't forget Adrian Salzer, either- a Selene 43 that cruised from Seattle to Glacier Bay, then southward to Seattle m Astorian, San Francisco, San Diego, Cabo, Panama, thru the Canal, around the Caribbean, the Keys and then up to Maine over 3 + years without a problem......yup, terrible boats indeed.

Dave-not necessarily a knock against Selenes. After, a couple of my closest friends are Selene owners! I also know that Chen worked pretty hard about 7-8 years ago to build the skill of his workforce and to get much better manufacturing consistency. I know he brought a well-known builder from NH in to work developing manufacturing processes and worker training. Jet-Tern was one of the very first marine manufacturers in PRC and there was no infrastructure or skilled workforce.

The comparisons that everyone is giving (nordhavn,outerreef)struck me as odd that they are cheaper than selenes.I have been on all these boats,and each brings something special to the table,usually at the expense of something else.The one thing that everyone is missing here is that a selene is measured at lwl,whereas the nordys and outers are loa.The selene 66 mentioned is close to 72 loa,not 66.whereas the outerreef 65 is 65,and the nordy 68 is 68.So if you are going to compare price ,than lets compare apples to apples.there is a 64 nordy(no 68 presently on the market),a 2009 for 2.6 mil.im sure a comparable nordy 68 is more,and how much for a 72 if nordy made it.There is a 2014 outerreef 72 for 3.5 mil(they didn't make a 72 in 2008).So,please lets be fair!

The comparisons that everyone is giving (nordhavn,outerreef)struck me as odd that they are cheaper than selenes.I have been on all these boats,and each brings something special to the table,usually at the expense of something else.The one thing that everyone is missing here is that a selene is measured at lwl,whereas the nordys and outers are loa.The selene 66 mentioned is close to 72 loa,not 66.whereas the outerreef 65 is 65,and the nordy 68 is 68.So if you are going to compare price ,than lets compare apples to apples.there is a 64 nordy(no 68 presently on the market),a 2009 for 2.6 mil.im sure a comparable nordy 68 is more,and how much for a 72 if nordy made it.There is a 2014 outerreef 72 for 3.5 mil(they didn't make a 72 in 2008).So,please lets be fair!

I agree with you 100% with the number your stated when it comes to the nordhavn, outerreef and selene. I also agree each vessel brings something to the table as well. But I do stand by my statement that this selene is a little light in the fuel department as a blue water vessel.

As I said, I would take a Fleming over the Selene any day when it comes to comparing them apples to apples and here is why.

Fleming 72'. loa. fuel 3,600 gal. Beam 21.5' Water tank 600. Holding tank 250 gal. Water draft 6'. price 1.9 mil.

I did compare them apples to apples and for me (and I do mean for me) the Fleming is the better vessel. Plus the Fleming has a better lay out (To me) over the Selene and plus the Fleming has lower profile over the selene.

I think the selene we are chatting about is a nice vessel, but when compared to the Fleming 72 the Fleming wins in my book but that is just me. Someone else may take the selene.

Happy cruising

H. Foster

Where did you get this "fact" ? I'm in the business, and never heard of this ...the LWL vs LOA debate has been an ongoing debate...

Just to confirm Tinped's comments, our Selene 47 actually measures almost 52ft LOA. LOD is 47ft and LWL is 44ft. This goes a long way towards explaining why the engine room on a Selene 47 is substantially larger than that of a Nordhavn 46. Peter, I assume this information is published in the various boat specifications.

I've been on them all too. You may want to toss displacement into the equation when comparing the Selene to the Nordhavn, both being FD designs. But it all depends on one's mission. For coastal cruising which has been the 66 Selene's very well done travels to date, it is more than adequate. But, if one wanted to travel from Seattle to Fiji I'd say the $1M less N62 would be a better choice or $1.5 M less N55.

My observations on the Selene vs. Nordhavn

The Selene's have great lines and are more pleasing to the eye. Except for the N57 with forward slanted bridge windows which looks awesome.

The Selene's hulls are harder chines and may get more room in the E.R., the Nordhavn has a much more rounded stern section and I believe achieve better fuel economy and probably do better with big seas on the tail.

The Nordhavn's are built a bit heavier and their quality control is a bit better, being from Port Townsend I have heard all the scuttlebutt about the new Selene issues.

I think Selene's are a bit more coastal oriented in design and specs .. but there have been very successful offshore passages in them.. but keep in mind that oceans have been crossed in vessel's made of 2 liter soda bottles!

I am surprised there is not a larger cost spread between Nordhavn and Selene's... with Nordhavn's costing more.

I am actually pretty neutral between the two boats.. but I do feel they are actually DESIGNED for two different kinds of voyaging.

HOLLYWOOD

An interesting side note, I have been on several Selenes with the Flag Blue gel coat hull which required re-fairing and Awl Grip paint. The blue 66 in question was Awl Grip painted 4 years after launching.

Hollywood, the N 57 is indeed a great vessel with many of the older ones being snapped up and nicely re-fiitted to come in below the cost of a new N52.

our Selene 47 actually measures almost 52ft LOA. LOD is 47ft and LWL is 44ft. This goes a long way towards explaining why the engine room on a Selene 47 is substantially larger than that of a Nordhavn 46.

Hi Chris,

My Nordhavn 47 measures 51' LOA, 47.5' LOD and 43.3' LWL. As mentioned already, the soft chine and rounded hull on the Nordy greatly reduces the size of the engine room and Lazz when compared to a Selene. This increases seaworthiness but decreases available space.

Back
Top Bottom