Thread: Epoxy Questions
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Delfin
Grand Vizier

RE: Epoxy Questions

Next to penicillin, Epoxy may well be mankind's greatest discovery.* I use epoxy wherever I wanted to make absolutely sure wood parts will never come apart, but there are cautions and limitations.* First, when the pieces are put together, they really shouldn't be tightly clamped unless you use a biscuit joint or equivalent.* Epoxy depends on itself for integrity and strength, and when you clamp it, most of the epoxy exits the joint, leaving it weaker than if you used another glue, like a polyurethane.* If you get carried away with the thickener, you can reduce the epoxy's ability to soak into wood and end up with a weaker joint.* All thickeners should be no coarser than fine sanding dust.* Color matching to the wood being glued can be kind of sort of achieved by using sanding dust from the wood itself.* Don't add more thickener than necessary to achieve the desired reduction in 'runniness', unless you are using the epoxy as a fairing compound.*

I have used epoxy to fix a threaded vent fitting into a bilge tank that would weep diesel when the tank was filled.* I sprayed it clean with carburetor cleaner, then dripped MEK thinned epoxy into the joint.* Once that kicked, I finished it off with silica thickened epoxy.* No leaks.

I am also a strong believer in using thinned epoxy as a pre-varnish base.* It has to be sanded carefully because it tends roll up rather than sand, but with varnish providing UV protection, you have a very durable finish.

Finally, Ace epoxy is the bottom of the barrel, quality wise.* West is good, as is Systems Three.* The West thickeners are outstanding.

I could go on, but I have to re-epoxy my wife's feet to the floor in front of the stove.* She pulled up the tiles.
Delfin is online now   Reply With Quote