Drains in/thru timber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Both my IG, and a previous Masters 34, have water drain holes passing through wood. A silly design idea IMO. Timber drains surrounding the aft lazarette hatch is common to both. The IG has them inside and outside the window frames, at the windscreen corners, and on the FB to drain water which gets under the tonneau and seats.
If they block(dirt, feathers etc), water accumulates, rot ensues. Even if they don`t block, they eventually rot, the water they drain is fresh. For places like the windscreen corners there is not really enough "meat" to install a plastic or copper tube,they reduce diameter too. Dripping thin epoxy wood densifier or hardener down the drain,(Everdure here, CPES I think in US), may help.
So, apart from complaining, what solutions are there? Eternal vigilance with a pipe cleaner or wire is a good start. What do other builders do?

Bomon clamp on windows. Not nearly as expensive as you'd think. I've used them on two boats over about 20 years and never had a leak.

Used by Sabre, Metalcraft, Cruisers etc.

Found a photo of our Bomon windows

Attachments

• 135-3592_IMG.jpg
    135-3592_IMG.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 75
Hardening/sealing with epoxy would be good.
I'm sure my windows are different again but the drain holes in mine were too small so I made them larger, then hardened them, although with varnish, each year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom