Crossing the Okeechobee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marathon to gulf

Which is a good channel form gulf to Marathon leaving from Ft. Myers. Thanks. PS. Draft is 4 ft.

Last edited:
We went straight across, not the rim route. Enough water, our draft was 4 feet. We did dig some dirt on the west end. Markers were far apart so pay attention, plot from one to the next, autopilot was good for that. Dont go through the lock at the end if going west, it gets tight in there. All together a very easy one day transit.

rking, Head offshore from Ft. Meyers, turn left, keep Florida on your left and pick up the marked channel near Cape Sable.

If you're going to enjoy any time in the Shark River / Cape Sable area, winter is the only time to do it, mosquitos. The fishing in that area is at it's best now.

We went straight across, not the rim route. Enough water, our draft was 4 feet. We did dig some dirt on the west end. Markers were far apart so pay attention, plot from one to the next, autopilot was good for that. Dont go through the lock at the end if going west, it gets tight in there. All together a very easy one day transit.
Thanks for this info, but how does one "not go through the lock at the end"? We draw 5'6".

Dave

That's where we are storing. We just switched to ghe LaBelle facility.

Dave

Thanks for this info, but how does one "not go through the lock at the end"? We draw 5'6".

Dave

I think he is talking about the lock at the dike going into Roland Martin's Marina at Clewiston. It is at the end of the entrance to the rim canal where you turn right for the canal or straight if you are going into the marina.

Yep, thats it. We made a mistake and went thru the lock, in a 50 foot boat towing an 18 foot boat. It was tuff turning around.

Dave

Once in the lake, I never saw less than 10'. Across the lake to Clewiston, turn right into the rim canal, up to and through the Moore Haven lock.

Ted

Thanks all. Looks like it isn't much different from the rest of the ICW. Generally good, sometimes a little skinny, all you need to do is pay attention.

Dave

That's where we are storing. We just switched to ghe LaBelle facility.

Stop over , its a 5 min walk,

Crossing the lake today. Stopped overnight at Indiantown Marina. Basics but great people and very nicely maintained. We hit the Port Mayaca lock at 8:30 and were able to pass right through with no level change at all plus we saw manatees in the lock. Slight under 1 foot chop and beautiful day on the lake.

Dave

Attachments

• 20140328_083425.jpg
    20140328_083425.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 135
Looks like a nice day for the trip. Have fun.

Just coming into Clewiston. Started to blow 10-15. Not a bad ride just made it work coming down the skinny channel with a 2-3 foot chop hitting abeam. Nice and quiet in the canal heading north.

Dave

Attachments

• 20140328_112839.jpg
    20140328_112839.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 141
You are getting into the best part of the Okeechobee Waterway now in my humble opinion. Well, not immediately, but after you really get into the Caloosahatchee River. Be sure and wave to FF as you go by!!

One hassle with the mini loop is the lack of anchorages after Stuart till south of Miami.

Low bridge after Low bridge after Low bridge after Low bridge makes for a slow passage but fantastic sightseeing if you like HUGE houses.

In the 60-s the homes were fine ,and large , but the big buck boys buy 3 or 4 , knock em down and build a monster!

All for a 3 day vacation some winters.

In the 60-s the homes were fine ,and large , but the big buck boys buy 3 or 4 , knock em down and build a monster!

All for a 3 day vacation some winters.

I always thought those homes looked like they were designed by Disney and built by Fisher Price.

I'm planning on crossing the lake early next week and the winds are forecast to be 15 to 20 out of the northeast. What kind of water conditions will that create for me? I've read that it kicks up more than you would think for an inland lake. Should I consider the rim route instead of straight across?

I'm planning on crossing the lake early next week and the winds are forecast to be 15 to 20 out of the northeast. What kind of water conditions will that create for me? I've read that it kicks up more than you would think for an inland lake. Should I consider the rim route instead of straight across?

With a 5' draft I would not consider the rim route. Lake O will build a short, steep chop. It will probably be on your starboard quarter. The Krogen is great in a following sea, so should not have much problem I would think it would give you a little twisty motion. When you make the turn toward the channel at Clewiston the seas should be more squarely on your stern which should be comfortable. When you get in the narrow channel be sure to stay in the center. The channel is cut out of rock.

Thanks, I'm probably over thinking this. The only other time I crossed it was dead calm.

Which direction are you crossing? On one way the seas will be on your stern for most of the way other than a relatively short stretch. The other direction on your bow of course.

The lake can get pretty snotty when the winds pipe up. But in a boat like yours it shouldn't be a problem.

Where are you planning to stop after you cross?

We are west bound headed for Punta Gorda. Not sure where we will stop. Depends on how early we can get through.

Rim Route is a NO NO for your boat. Wait the weather out. It is blustery all over Florida now. We are pinned in at South Seas Resort on Captiva. Not a bad place.

A sailboat tried to come in last night via Redfish pass and missed.

Well there is Roland Martins just after you cross the lake. You go in through the flood gate to get there as opposed to turning right to head toward Moore Haven. Then the docks at Moore Haven just after you go through the lock there. After that there is not much till you get to La Belle.

If you stop at Roland Martins in Clewiston I recommend calling the Clewiston Inn for dinner if you don't want to eat on the boat. They normally will send a car to pick you up. In some cases it will be your waitress. :) The foods not gourmet but cook home cooking. The bar at the inn is worth checking out. The walls are covered by a large mural that depicts Florida wildlife. It appears to have been painted in place. But if you look closely you can spot the seam the reveals that it was painted elsewhere and installed after the fact.

We just got to Roland Martins this evening after a run from Cabbage Key. It was a windy day. We think we'll wait another day for the wind to swing NE, then cross. We draw 3.5" and we're not sure about the rim route as it is reported at 5.5" deep.

Crossing the lake in a northish wind like that, you need to pay attention to if you are really in the channel by looking backwards a lot; it is easy for the wind to "crab" you out of the channel while looking straight ahead the bow appears pointed between the markers. Kind of like what an ebb current can do to you along the Miserable Mile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom