Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that went well. Almost made me teary -

Gee, this is like a remake of 'A wonderful Life'.

Hendo can play the Jimmy Stewart figure, Rex can be the angle Clarence who looks after George(Jimmy Stewart) & comes to his rescue. Hendo's partner can be the lovely Mary, Georges devoted wife.

Question is who plays the evil millionaire Mr Potter?

Seriously though Rex, that is a terrific gesture, :)dance:) and in my book it earns you a lot of brownie points.An unlooked for gesture is a great thing to give, and to receive.

And a very happy Christmas to you all.

I may have given an anchor, but you guys crikey" your words of thanks and recognition have absolutely over whelmed me, I have been more than rewarded for my gesture, Hendo tell your good wife to rest easily, we will not wait until the boat is finished, early new year you will recieve the new anchor and matching bow roller.

I wont respond to all the posts but really you guys have made me feel ten feet tall and might I say slightly blurred my screen.

You have a great forum and some really great and generous Mods.

Thank you all and merry Christmas.

Regards Rex.

Rex, that is the true spirit of Christmas. Hendo has inspired most of us to tackle difficult tasks. Generous acts of this sort restore our faith in mankind. Best to you all this Christmas season. Here's wishing you a peaceful, healthy, prosperous new year.

Great gift and a wonderful gesture Rex. You are a classy guy :thumb::thumb:

Hendo old mate the wet season is over for you so time to get your Axe into gear. Tell Felicity to put the whip to ya and not in a good way either. :)

Well I got all the family Chrissy things out the way and headed off to AXE with my newly found enthusiasm like I had a rocket up my arse:rofl:.

The hull framing is now complete :dance::dance:WOO HOOO :dance::dance:

Back to work tomorrow :facepalm::banghead: but will be back on Saturday and Sunday to crack on from where I left :thumb:

I had a bit of epoxy filler left over from doing the ribs so I started to fair the 350GSM Glass tape.

Anyway that was all for today.

Cheers all :thumb:

Last edited:
She's coming along nicely Hendo! Good to see ya back on the horse. Funny how the wet season lull had people half a world away frustrated that you couldn't work. I can imagine how you felt.

She's coming along nicely Hendo! Good to see ya back on the horse. Funny how the wet season lull had people half a world away frustrated that you couldn't work. I can imagine how you felt.

Thanks Craigo! and Happy New year mate :thumb:... Yeah the weather really put me in a lull :cry:not to mention having my go fast detonate the #6 piston, which I can proudly say the parts arrive from Tampa FL the other day so am chomping at the bit to get her back on the water. Should be primed and running like a bat out of hell for Australia Day celebrations later in the month!

Getting support and feedback from here also helps me overcome the Lulls tremendously :thumb: Some days im like Blah, i'll just chill on the couch but then I think about you guys and am like ahhh better not disappoint the troops :rofl:

Did you and Jenn have a good Christmas? a bloke I work with went back to North Carolina to be with his family for Chrissy. I tried to hit him up to bring me some boat parts back but he wasn't having a bar of it after I told him about the time you and Jenn helped out with sending the Merc midsection over hahaha :rofl: ... some people just have not sense of adventure, mind you tho, in hindsight, I sometimes wish I had less of a need for "Adventure" lol

Flic sends her love and wishes for 2014

Thanks again for your support mate!

Heres some pics of my 250HP Merc including the Conrod I bent and a pic of something you will recognise

Last edited:
That is a very artistic bend you made there - hydro-lock? Except that you bent it in 2 directions, it would have made a good throttle lever.

Happy New Year to you and to all the rest of you who live your lives upside down.

Matt, you told me about #6 but ouch! Hang that puppy on the wall, you earned that trophy. Jen sends her best to you and Flic, she also said the midsection looks better on your stern than it did sitting in her living room :)

I've mellowed with age though, 20 years ago I'd bring my quad racer into her living room and rebuild the engine on her dining table. Bel Ray oil never did come out of the carpet or couch :)

That is a very artistic bend you made there - hydro-lock? Except that you bent it in 2 directions, it would have made a good throttle lever.

Happy New Year to you and to all the rest of you who live your lives upside down.

Happy new year to you too :thumb: ... Umm no don't think it was water that caused this. The big end nipped up on the crank and made what you see today. Well 6800 RPM and a nipped up Big end made it. I just found it :lol:

Last edited:
Matt, you told me about #6 but ouch! Hang that puppy on the wall, you earned that trophy. Jen sends her best to you and Flic, she also said the midsection looks better on your stern than it did sitting in her living room :)

I've mellowed with age though, 20 years ago I'd bring my quad racer into her living room and rebuild the engine on her dining table. Bel Ray oil never did come out of the carpet or couch :)

Yeah shes a beaut! ... Ah please send my thanks to Jen and please tell her i'll make it up when you guys come out to Perth :flowers:

Your story reminds me of a time when I painted my garage floor. The only logical place for my bikes and my lawn mower was the living room. Flic didn't share my enthusiasm to solving that problem :rofl: but she is a good sport and "let me" make it up to her :smitten::lol::rofl:

What an amazing thread. What amazing gestures and work ethic and will power and go-at-it bravery. I don't know whether I'm more inspired of choked-up, but what does it matter.....I'll be back to my own boat in a week or so, and I'm gonna tackle the glass work I've been putting off with a reborn commitment. New year, new determination. Thanks for the example, Hendo. And thanks Rex for the well placed recognition of what's ernest and honest.

What an amazing thread. What amazing gestures and work ethic and will power and go-at-it bravery. I don't know whether I'm more inspired of choked-up, but what does it matter.....I'll be back to my own boat in a week or so, and I'm gonna tackle the glass work I've been putting off with a reborn commitment. New year, new determination. Thanks for the example, Hendo. And thanks Rex for the well placed recognition of what's ernest and honest.

Thanks for following and for your comment Larry :thumb: ... Hope your glassing goes well.

Continued with applying the 10mm thick Epoxy fairing filler coating. When she's dry it will be so solid and extremely hard and sooooo soooooo smooth. Bugger to sand but great for the boat construction, durability once completed including the health of the timber and to help achieve a dry bilge .

cheers

Hendo

G'day all,
We had some exciting news this week. AXE had her first inspection and she aced it! ... :dance:

The inspection was from a structural engineer that specializes in timber boats. He was really impressed with her construction and hull integrity :blush:.

With full tanks the engineer gave her a safe operating rating range of 15 passengers and 3 Crew @100kgs each plus 500kgs of luggage :eek:

Not that I'll ever carry that many people or have that much luggage but its good to know she'll have no dramas carrying the three of us and Chevy my cat

Also good that if we are out boating and someone needs assistance then I know how many I can safely have on board without needing rescuing ourselves

During the last few weeks we also fixed the go fast boat and sold that off before anything else happened to it and if that didn't keep us busy enough, Felicity and I bought our first swing mooring! :rofl:... Its a 12mtr with the ability to go upto 14mtrs. The guy was asking $15,000 but I managed to get him down to $8,000. This will be AXE's home when she is finished.

I am letting a bloke use the mooring for free at the moment because he has found himself stuck without a mooring. Moorings in Perth are rare as rocking horse sh!t. Its a Long story but apparently he's down on his luck and, well, im a big softy at heart apparently so despite running the risk of getting fined from the government fisheries people, i told him he can use it but also told him when the time comes, he will have to move on to somewhere else so AXE can go there.

Now that all of that has been sorted, we are back to working on AXE. Sanding, Sanding and more sanding :banghead::facepalm::banghead:

Im really happy with how well the epoxy is sanding up tho:blush:. I only need to do this step once (Thank F#&K):facepalm: ... Once ive done this, I will apply a skim coat of epoxy paste, but it is only for filling in the small air holes and hand sandable so should be better than the sanding that im doing now which is like sanding concrete with a belt sander using 240grit :banghead::rofl:

anyway that's all. Hope y'all well and thanks for following our progress! :thumb::blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Hendo. Hang in there and remember...keep your eye on the prize. Looks like you'll be needing that Sarca in no time.

Matt - "...like sanding concrete with a belt sander using 240grit :banghead::rofl:"

That description is simply hilarious! You and Flick are champs! Gad your survey went so wellllll. Can hardly wait to see more and then the eventual 1st splash!!!

Never say die! Keep up the great work!!

Hendo, congrats on passing the inspection.:thumb:

"I am letting a bloke use the mooring for free at the moment because he has found himself stuck without a mooring. Moorings in Perth are rare as rocking horse sh!t. Its a Long story but apparently he's down on his luck and, well, im a big softy at heart apparently so despite running the risk of getting fined from the government fisheries people, i told him he can use it but also told him when the time comes, he will have to move on to somewhere else so AXE can go there."

That's the Hendo I felt I had come to know. With this and Rex donating the Sarca, what we are seeing here is basic human decency. Quite a nice thing to witness in this day and time.

Hendo unless I'm mistaken I think you payed $8,000 for a mooring buoy? And it has the legal right to swing a 15 meter dia or radius from it's location? WOW and some here whine about a tax called a leasehold tax. Mine will be $30 a mo when we go back into the water.

BUT TO PAY $8,000. for a buoy?

Where does that 8K go? Have you actually bought a piece of some bay, pond or beach? Do you pay tax on the buoy or sea floor like it's realestate?

Interesting to say the least.

Eric,

If you think that $8,000 is a lot for a mooring buoy, check out pricing in Newport Harbor and Avalon in CA. I think the going prices for a 50' can in Newport is $25K and around $800k in Avalon plus you have to pay a monthly or yearly lease since the initial price was just for a leasehold interest.

Hendo, be sure to check the condition and weight of the mooring apparatus. Mine is serviced annually, for me, insurer, and Maritime. Heavier boat=heavier block. Your user won`t thank you if it fails, nor will Axe later on.
Buying one for 8K is different to here, you can`t trade them. Maritime administers and leases out sites, usually to a waiting list. You get the mooring apparatus installed, your cost, you maintain. Maritime will put you in touch with the relinquishing user so you can buy his apparatus,usually $ 100-$200, saving him removing it. My site rent is about $700 a year, maintenance about $200 plus parts replaced. There are also some commercial moorings associated with marinas you can rent, they supposedly maintain.

Re: The inspection. Not that I had any doubt, but there's nothing like having a guy come to pick your boat apart and then come out with that kind of rating. Great feeling, yes?

Last edited:
mahal,
Closest I have come to that is renting a cheap 18' slip in Mission Bay in 1963. Had a sailboat down there when I was in the Navy. Sailing and racing other sailboats on the bay was lots of fun.

I had a sailboat as there was no place to go.

Looking good Hendo. Hang in there and remember...keep your eye on the prize. Looks like you'll be needing that Sarca in no time.

Thank you Peter. Funny you should mention the SARCA. I was speaking to Rex the other day getting sizes etc from him and he said the anchor will be on its way to me very shortly :thumb: ...

Thanks again for your support

Matt - "...like sanding concrete with a belt sander using 240grit :banghead::rofl:"

That description is simply hilarious! You and Flick are champs! Gad your survey went so wellllll. Can hardly wait to see more and then the eventual 1st splash!!!

Never say die! Keep up the great work!!

Heya Brother! :thumb:

Thanks for your comments mate! ... You know its only funny cause its true so you must have been there at some stage also :D:rofl: ...

Cheers for the support mate and look forward to showing you more as she progresses.

Hendo, congrats on passing the inspection.:thumb:

"I am letting a bloke use the mooring for free at the moment because he has found himself stuck without a mooring. Moorings in Perth are rare as rocking horse sh!t. Its a Long story but apparently he's down on his luck and, well, im a big softy at heart apparently so despite running the risk of getting fined from the government fisheries people, i told him he can use it but also told him when the time comes, he will have to move on to somewhere else so AXE can go there."

That's the Hendo I felt I had come to know. With this and Rex donating the Sarca, what we are seeing here is basic human decency. Quite a nice thing to witness in this day and time.

Hi Moonstruck
Thank you for your comments mate but I'm just "Paying it forward" No big deal :thumb:

Thanks for your support and words of encouragement! It means a lot to me!

Hendo unless I'm mistaken I think you payed $8,000 for a mooring buoy? And it has the legal right to swing a 15 meter dia or radius from it's location? WOW and some here whine about a tax called a leasehold tax. Mine will be $30 a mo when we go back into the water.

BUT TO PAY $8,000. for a buoy?

Where does that 8K go? Have you actually bought a piece of some bay, pond or beach? Do you pay tax on the buoy or sea floor like it's realestate?

Interesting to say the least.

I know but what I paid is cheap for Perth mate! :nonono: ... especially so close to the city and Fremantle ...

There are cheaper ones but they are in crap locations and they also have the added disadvantage of not being able to get insurance for your vessel due to the location so that's why ones like mine are pricy.

The swing is measured from the boat, not including marlin board or bowsprit. But in my case the hull extension is included as it is part of the hull.

My hull measured 11.0m so I will keep the swing at 12.0m but if I get a bigger boat I can apply to put upto 14.0m on her.

In Western Australia, a mooring site is held by a "licence" issued to the mooring licensee by the Minister of Transport. The license is a right to occupy space rather than simply hiring or renting a space by a lease arrangement.

The money I paid went to the owner of the apparatus and whos name was on the lease. Now that I have paid the money, my name is on the lease agreement. I don't actually even own it. Moorings here are the biggest Govt. scam going. I have to pay yearly renewal fees and maintenance fees and if the boat drags it, its my fault and I need to pay for everything to fix it.

If you really want to know the ins and outs of it, the below links will answer your questions in more detail :thumb:

Moorings

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/nwr1958274/

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/mr1998214/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom