What is it with women, boats and color combos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
<pre>Wife just had delivered to the boat and installed her quid pro quo for my
new (last fall) electronics: new curtains and cushions throughout and top
to bottom. I was happy with solid color plain off white curtains and solid
color blue cushions inside and white vinyl cushions outside. Now we have
multicolored striped curtains in the saloon/wheelhouse and different
multicolored striped curtains below, baby poop "wheat" colored cushions
inside and a third type of multicolored cushions outside. My head is spinning.
This is a boat after all and not a house.
"Don't you love them Dear?" she says. Gritted teeth and 22 years of marriage
experience (40 years if you count both wives) kept me from an honest and
certain death response. I guess I will learn to love them all since I do her
and she did go for the electronics.</pre>

Hiya,
Has to do with the nesting instinct and the genetic need to redo. No need to grit teeth, just smile and nod.

RT is right David. I learned years ago at home to smile and say"Are you kidding? I love that color!" life got much easier after that:)

The three phrases to a happy marriage:

Yes, Dear.
Whatever you say, Dear.
Right away, Dear.

Our trawler was very stark shippy when we bought it and my wife and I change the color and re decorated. **We wanted to lighten up the boat, and make more comfortable and warm.* Best to go with the flow!

On the other hand, she probably doesn't like most of the electronics you buy. Life balances out in the end.

Just remember, she is the Admiral.... you are just the Captain!

If your boat is anything like mine, let her spend all she wants. She will NEVER catch up to the way you spend money on the boat!

Hollywood, Dude you are so right on with that.
SD

Ironically, my wife works for the local Furuno dealer as well as other brands. She is always trying to see what else we can put on the boat. She is the JL Audio dealer hence we now have a new JL system.... I think she already has the next project planned...something tells me it ain't curtains...

Baker wrote:

Ironically, my wife works for the local Furuno dealer as well as other brands. She is always trying to see what else we can put on the boat. She is the JL Audio dealer hence we now have a new JL system.... I think she already has the next project planned...something tells me it ain't curtains...
Role reversal! I like it. I think you need to get into fabrics, cushions and curtains to balance things out.

Baker wrote:

it's going to really piss a lot of guys off to find out she also........

1- used to be a model, and still looks like one

2- thinks it's great for you to go on weekend dive trips with the guys

3. is a gourmet cook

OK,* so one out of four still qualifies as a winner, keep her as she is a rare woman!

Wife here.* Just deal with it.* I would love to think that my husband could not live with the mint green curtains and herculon beige seat covers that that matched the "have a nice day"* cutsie plaques throughout the galley and such* that graced our new-to-us 34 foot trawler, but I soon had to put a stop to all that 1980 decor and blast*our trawler*into 2010 with navy, dark red, khaki and plaid throughout, with brass embelishments.* Looks a whole lot better.* I think hubby feels better, too.

Aye Aye!!* Admiral.

Well said.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 30th of April 2010 09:36:37 AM

I think you guys are missing the real reason women need to do the deco thing in a boat. We men decide where to tie up the boat, what lines to use, what knots to use, where to tie the lines even when to shut off the engine. We decide just about everything. The poor girls just want to be a part of it and redecorating is their way of making a contribution.*

Eric Henning

This is probably one of the reasons I enjoy being a single boater.

I don't complain (well not too much). I figure I'm darn lucky. My wife actually enjoys the boat. Although we have had some discussions???? I have no quarrel with what she has done and the boat looks better for it.

I've seen too many guys over the years with lousy attitudes, scare or badger their wife out of the boat, and then guess what.

I can't afford that. Nomadwilly nailed it and I'm glad to have her along.

Carefull what you encourage: I turned mine loose in the sewing store. have you seen what some of those machines can do? and cost? Now I have a virtually unspendable catching up credit.

A good friend of mine wisely told me some time ago.
"in your marriage, you can either be right, or happy, pick which one you want."

Yep.
Being right doesn't get you any either.

SD

So few guys are lucky enough to have wives that enjoy boating as much as the men. Far too many couples seem to go their own way when it comes to boats, and often this results in further tensions because of the money that has to be spent on boats. So, if having cushions and curtains will make your wife happy to be along - live with it! It's a small price to pay.

Well, the install of the last cushions was today. Captain's opinion: "I love them Dear". Actually, the end result is not nearly as bad as I feared. Although, the Admiral is now muttering about the throw pillows needing replacing to match the new decor.

I cannot, cannot, cannot complain: She loves boating, has her own day sailer that she single hands in breezes when I would rather be on the mooring. Loves the power boat and cruising. She pays way, way more $$$ than I towards the costs of all the floating toys (I do most of the maintenance and forward planning, although she has painted her share of wooden boat bottoms and done a lot of sanding). The first time I met her she had her head inside the electrical panel of her (then) husband's Brownell hydraulic trailer trying to figure out what was amiss with some malfunction. She bought the John Deere lawn mower/tractor for the lawn and won't let me use it much. When I tried to sell my an MG to finance a second one, she wouldn't let me sell it and took it over herself. And... she's a great cook and a great stepmom.

I should frequently give myself a dope slap upside my head to make me re-realize what a gem of a wife I have.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Wednesday 12th of May 2010 04:48:35 PM

Attachments

• dscn0025.jpg
    dscn0025.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 63
  • dscn0024.jpg
    dscn0024.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 55
  • dscn0022.jpg
    dscn0022.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 59
  • dscn0026.jpg
    dscn0026.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 57
  • dscn0017.jpg
    dscn0017.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 52
  • dscn0016.jpg
    dscn0016.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 58
  • dscn0015.jpg
    dscn0015.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 57
Dave:
I love the color scheme but do agree with your wife on the throw pillows. You sure have come a long way with that IG in 1 year.

Attachments

• img_1520.jpg
    img_1520.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 62
  • img_1531.jpg
    img_1531.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 53
  • img_1523.jpg
    img_1523.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 59
  • img_0186.jpg
    img_0186.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 52
SeaHorse II wrote:

Dave:
I love the color scheme but do agree with your wife on the throw pillows. You sure have come a long way with that IG in 1 year.
Thanks Walt. Still a bit more to do until we have her up to the level we want.

Your interior is great. Are your settee cushions leather? Did they come with the boat or did you have them done?

dwhatty wrote:Are your settee cushions leather? Did they come with the boat or did you have them done?
Yes, they are leather and came with the boat. The mattress is an innerspring and folds back to allow access to the bow thruster.

These little trawlers are great!

Here is a shot of our new cabin curtains. We installed them about 3 weeks ago, replacing the white pleated ones. I thought the others were great, but what do I know.......

Attachments

• dscf6228.jpg
    dscf6228.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 59
I see your monkey!
smile.gif

Yea,
That happens a little more than I like to admit:)

The first*two*pictures are*of the "before". I think these curtains came with the boat originally in 1983. Here are some of our brand new improvements. Aft cabin is not done yet, as we are waiting for some paint to dry. I'll try and remember to post when it gets done within the next few weeks. I think it is a vast improvement and is very homey.* Notice how nicely I decorated the engine compartment with shiny new deck plates, as my husband loves to do laps around the engine, and I thought he needed something beautiful to run on.

P.S.* Candle is just for decor.* We don't burn real candles on the boat...only the battery operated ones, which are also a big part of the decorating process.

-- Edited by reefdrifter on Sunday 23rd of May 2010 07:01:38 AM

Attachments

• 100_9104.jpg
    100_9104.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 56
  • left salon window.jpg
    left salon window.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_9048.jpg
    100_9048.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_9111.jpg
    100_9111.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_9127.jpg
    100_9127.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_9108.jpg
    100_9108.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 64
  • salon.jpg
    salon.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_8131.jpg
    100_8131.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 55
Nice, Reefdrifter. That's the color combo I would have gone for had it been my call (it wasn't).

But I can choose what goes in he holy place and deck plates/gratings are on my wish list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom