New one to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alberto post #7

They have been making many derivatives to improve her abilities for comfort and planning in order to improve speed in the full displacement hull with some sort of "V" transom hull and swim platform. This is why transom is strange as are attachments to the original design.
They are very reputated for seaworthiness and good finish and you can see many of them in Valencia and Balearic islands in Spain.

Endurance post #8

The performance of the boats was a little strange. As alberto said, the Llaud hull was originally intended as a double-ended full displacement hull, at which I suspect it excelled. In order to gain speed, both Menorquin and Myabca added extensive, structural swim platforms which were really flat section hull extensions (molded in with the Meorquin, and bolted on with massive 'pipes' on the Myabca). With twin engine power, the newly added flat after sections allowed the boats to semi-plane, getting speeds in the high teens.

The one I sea trialed handled short steep waves extremely well, no pounding whatsoever, a very smooth and stable ride

Skidgear post 54

Stern on a 40' planing Calafurnia (Italian) looks similar...

and picture posted

RickB post #60

Many of those "ducktails" were added in order to comply with the latest Safety Of Life At Sea (SOLAS) stability standards. In plain English ... those things contribute to stability and seaworthiness, not as you mistakenly believe, detract from it.

multiple supporting pictures posted.

Something to consider though is the fact that most boats that we would consider seaworthy (and that would have transoms) will have the transom raked outboard like the flared sides of most boats.

Ever seen a typical Bering Sea fishery boat?

Trident Seafoods :: Company :: Vessels

Normally if there is a "rake" it is a forward rake, equally often is a ramp to permit hauling the cod end.

Those are seaworthy boats working in weather that most here could not conceive of.

But you're as welcome to your opinion as I am to mine.

Of course, no one said otherwise. Just try and keep some daylight between your opinions and facts, particularly when the facts are so easily determined with a minumum of research or experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read thru this subject thread,...but just wondering if anybody has suggesting adding a swim platform to this vessel :lol::facepalm:

Actually, it has one. Back in the day disgruntled sailors would hang out on that cantilevered area about halfway up the port side of the stern and smoke pot. A few who got really "out there" took a swim from that very spot, thereby precipitating a man overboard scramble, helicopter launch, and a stay in the brig until discharged. Most of them now reside in Denver. One that I am aware of resides in Davy Jones' locker.

Last edited:
Speaking of small boat sterns, seaworthiness, and bad weather, these folks probably have some ideas.

Heavy Weather, Hallucinations, Hostility and Harmonica - AORR | YachtPals.com

Then Google, Atlantic Ocean Rowing and select images for a good review of small boats with seaworthy sterns.

Here are a couple with swimsteps, one of which has a picture window overlooking the swimstep ... that one by the way set a record for the crossing.

OK, they aren't little low powered "trawlers" so how about looking up:

Spirit of Arielle

Attachments

• la-mondiale.jpg
    la-mondiale.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 238
  • britannia-3-row.jpg
    britannia-3-row.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 104
  • spirit.jpg
    spirit.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Maybe we should use definitions such as froude number, longitudinal symmetry, block coefficient and D/L instead of terms like "seaworthy" and "full displacement".

That would unbunch some panties.

Maybe we should use definitions such as froude number, longitudinal symmetry, block coefficient and D/L instead of terms like "seaworthy" and "full displacement".

That's not half as much fun as divining stability and efficiency through online photo interpretation.

Besides, a lawyer will have a definition of seaworthiness that doesn't include a single term of naval architecture.

All of which is why anyone pretending to pass judgement on the seaworthiness of a boat by looking at a photo on a boating forum has his forepeak up his transom.

I don't think the issue is one of facts--facts are great and the expertise on this group is one of the reasons I hang out here. The problem is typical internet forum bull**it . . . the snarky, condescending, know-it-all, attack-dog style that a very few posters feel it's safe to use behind the anonimity of a keyboard. Personal insults that would get people punched out in real life are often excused in the name of a "factual discussion." IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom