Anchor Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a fish rod holder, temp or permanent, and a boathook or pole....... somewhere's near the bow, preferably 360 degree view but if not from dead astern, I wouldn't be all that concerned if you can't get it high enough

Sure, that seems easy enough. As long as it doesn't have to be on centerline I can rail mount it and easily get it high enough for a 360 view.
Thanks!

Sure, that seems easy enough. As long as it doesn't have to be on centerline I can rail mount it and easily get it high enough for a 360 view.
Thanks!

I have seen enough 400'+ barges at anchor near busy fairways with a seemingly, tiny (yet properly sized I'm sure) anchor ball about 6-10 feet off the barge's deck all the way forward with large, multi story, ocean going tugs hooked up aft to wonder how serious they are really taken other than they ARE always displayed...360 is great but hardly something that stands out in the eyes of the professional maritime community.

Here is the rule from the USCG website: Navigation Rules Online

No mention of on centerline or how high, just where it can best be seen.

Rule 30 - Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen: (i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.
(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may , and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.

(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule and in addition, if practicable, where they can best be seen;
(i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line;
(ii) three balls in a vertical line.
(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

(f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

(g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule.

Also, don't forget to have a separate line from the holes at the bottom end fixed to your boat. There have been times (gale force winds) when mine has attempted to fly. Because the design is like the Davis radar reflector I'm semi-looking for that and will paint it black if found.

Also, don't forget to have a separate line from the holes at the bottom end fixed to your boat. There have been times (gale force winds) when mine has attempted to fly. Because the design is like the Davis radar reflector I'm semi-looking for that and will paint it black if found.

So if you paint it black and use it as a reflector underway you will be telling everyone you are anchored. Not something you'd want to defend in court.

No, I would not use it while underway... just a random thought for those foggy days when visibility is near zilch. Same size, same shape, and painted black -- seemed like a good idea in theory. :)

So few recreational boaters use anchor balls in my area that I just don't naturally look for one. If I want to know if a boat is anchored I look for signs of a rode at the bow or a wake at the stern.

At the speed I'm going, it's not a critical issue anyway.

Wind against tide often can hide the anchor rode from the side you are approaching....current can look like a wake (or vice versa)...

So maneuvering IAW the NAVRULES becomes difficult in a tight anchorage area or place where lot's of boats have decided to anchor next to the narrow ICW....

Anchor balls are very informative in some situations...just a shame more don't use them or see their need.

AN anchor ball in the rigging may be the law ,

but an anchor ball OVER your anchor is far more useful to arriving boaters.

AN anchor ball in the rigging may be the law ,

but an anchor ball OVER your anchor is far more useful to arriving boaters.

Some will argue strenuously against anchor floats but I agree with you and have always used one.

Notice the current streaming by our anchor float which is lying off our stern. With the weight of the chain our anchor float is often under or behind us depending on wind and current. I need to know where my anchor is all the time. I also need to know where everyone else’s is. With a float, determining your relative position is easier and helps you envision your swing circle. We have seen collisions where one boat ran over a rode pulling both boats together …. wouldn't have happened if a float had been in place.

On several occasions I have seen the tangled mess when one hook was dropped on top of another making two helplessly drifting boats.

Imagine this scenario then decide if you want a float or not. A boat pulls in the anchorage and asks "How much rode do you have out ?" We respond " 120' in 7' of water" . So he anchors 100' aft. As the wind comes up we fall back 150' and collide. Think this can't happen ? Take a look at the photo at right that shows our float astern of the boat.

We use a milk jug and very light twine so if it ever did tangle in our prop (hasn't happened) it wouldn't hurt anything.

Attachments

• 21.gif
    21.gif
    51.1 KB · Views: 327
  • STERN FLOAT.gif
    STERN FLOAT.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I have never seen an anchor ball on a pleasure boat before although I know someone else has. Way back when, a hanging basket was legal to use instead of a ball and shrimp boats used them regularly. I don't know if it is still legal or not, the rules keep changing. I will admit that sometimes depending on your angle of approach, it is difficult to tell if a boat is anchored or not. There is a point however, that you should be able to determine that it is not moving.
My attitude toward this is like hitting a parked car in a parking lot. What is your defense? "I thought it was moving out of the way?"

I have never seen an anchor ball on a pleasure boat before although I know someone else has. Way back when, a hanging basket was legal to use instead of a ball and shrimp boats used them regularly. I don't know if it is still legal or not, the rules keep changing. I will admit that sometimes depending on your angle of approach, it is difficult to tell if a boat is anchored or not. There is a point however, that you should be able to determine that it is not moving.
My attitude toward this is like hitting a parked car in a parking lot. What is your defense? "I thought it was moving out of the way?"

I think the difference is that a parked car is unlikely to swing in a 300' circle.

It's not about hitting them as much as it is thinking they are underway and they are not and having to maneuver around behind them in a bad situation when you don't have to...legality or courtesy...they both count in my book.

The hanging basket was to signify "fishing" and it has been discontinued. Now it's two cones. apexes point together. Too bad so many ignorant fishermen have them permanently mounted instead of taking them down when not "actively fishing".

I can just see it now - "Your honor, the reason I ran into that anchored boat in broad daylight is because it wasn't showing an anchor ball."

I can just see it now - "Your honor, the reason I ran into that anchored boat in broad daylight is because it wasn't showing an anchor ball."

Rather that argument than ...

Your honor he hit me and I don't have to comply with the law cause' I don't feel like it.

Your honor he hit me and I don't have to comply with the law cause' I don't feel like it.

Good point...tough to make some see the issue.

I have found through all the years of teaching boating, captains licensing and instructor flying...generally those who don't see the issue just don't have the experience.

Funny how few NAVRULES there really are...especially considering they are agreed upon by international convention and constantly reviewed by world renown experts...and yet the lowly anchor ball remains there though the test of time....:D

... Too bad so many ignorant fishermen have them permanently mounted instead of taking them down when not "actively fishing".

This vessel "turned off" the day shape by holding it horizontal.

img_207501_0_7710a5d8e3aa311d4ac907ffa5132fb8.jpg

Last edited:

not sure that it works that way.... as many FVs just have them permanently mounted in the rigging at all goofy angles.

How about, "your Honor, he hit me when his anchor was dragging, but he still had an anchor ball up." :D

Woohoo! - I love the adrenaline rush of taking big risks like not raising the black ball. Living life on the edge.:dance:

Our local bait-shrimpers don't display the fishing dayshape or "I'm fishing" lights. They sometimes drag an orange ball marking the location of their nets.

img_207574_0_8f447b1b0aa0132ee066435cd516e03e.jpg

Last edited:
I usually use my inflatable anchor ball but find many people have no idea what it is. I see these displayed on larger yachts in my area. Defenders Marine sells a folding one made by Plastimo for $14.99

If you have ever interviewed a jury after a personal injury or property damage case you would not laugh at the requirement to display an anchor ball. American juries will focus on a deficiency of any type to justify their personal preferences as to who should win the case or the amount to be paid.

Your honor, I did have an anchor ball displayed but it went overboard and sank because of the collision. ;)

The whole point is to prevent collisions...not try and explain your way out of your responsibility for one...:rolleyes:

As I posted before ....besides the regs, they are as much a courtesy to other boats to allow them to make intelligent, early maneuvers in some situations.

img_209357_0_7710a5d8e3aa311d4ac907ffa5132fb8.jpg

Yeah…! The nautical version of the tin man..!

As to the hanging symbol issue. I think these rules are slowly being allowed to die a natural death, certainly here in Oz, by unwritten agreement to not police, because so few pleasure boats these days have the rigging structures to facilitate them being used.
After all, at night there is the anchor light, and absence of running lights to advise, and during the day I have never had an issue discerning if a boat is underway or anchored well before I get near it…not ever. And if there is a poor visibility issue, e.g. fog/heavy rain, then you won't see the ball, but hopefully they have followed the simple rule of putting appropriate lights on, which you probably will see - certainly more likely than a black ball.

While an anchor ball may be an unknown signal device to 99% of boaters , actually being seen should work at collision avoidance.

3M makes consopicuaty tape that is a requirement on all commercial trailers .

At night it works great and can be had in alternating red and white , or just white.

At about a buck a foot if placed along the hull under the rail , it would light the dimmest operator to the presence of a boat.

Cheaper than a court battle , even at a buck a foot.

........ As to the hanging symbol issue. I think these rules are slowly being allowed to die a natural death, ...........
I think we can equate this regulation (as far as pleasure boats go anyway) to the requirement that was in place when I got my driver's license that the driver of a car or truck stick his or her arm out the window and signal right or left turns or stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom