Before Grand Banks there was.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
As many of you know, American Marine started in Junk Bay in Kowloon building other people's designs including Herreshoff.* Several years before they created the first Grand Banks they built a small number of 34' diesel cruisers that, while considerably different than the soon-to-come Grand Banks, got the company thinking about this type of boat.* The GB forerunner, also made of wood, was given the name Chantyman.* Of the few surviving examples several reside in Washington State.* They were all single-engine and had a hull form considerably different than what the Grand Banks would have.* From what I have been able to garner from the plans, they appear to be displacement boats.* The only plan I have found that reproduces fairly clearly is one for a shipping cradle for a Chantyman.

If you've never seen one, here are a couple of small photos I took off Shing Kong's American Marine history page. Shing is the son of the Kong of Kong & Halverson, who originally worked for American Marine prior to and during the early Grand Banks years.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 11th of October 2010 10:35:36 PM

Attachments

• chantyman 2.jpg
    chantyman 2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 248
  • chantyman.jpg
    chantyman.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 248
  • chantyman cradle.jpg
    chantyman cradle.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 243
I think Passagemaker did a story on these in Jan 2010. Pretty interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom