Gulets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal

So as a "Dreamer" I tend to spend free time split between learning all I can on TF and trolling YW listing looking at various boats - I call it "day dreaming with pictures"! One topic I have not seen discussed much is that of Turkish Gulets. Anyone have an experience with them?

It appears that there are over 450 Gulets on YW, ranging from 34' to 171', from $50k to $8M+, from 1881 to 2014.... When looking at what I'll call the "reasonable" gulet listings (<$300k, <60'), it seems to me there are quite a few that appear (based on the photos in YW) to be of quite high quality for the asking prices listed... especially compared to similarly priced "trawlers".

So I know they are primarily made of wood - and that brings with it many considerations from an ownership cost (maintenance) perspective. On the flip side, most are much newer than the wooden vessels we are used to seeing in the "Trawler" world.

It seems to me they tend to bridge between Motorsailor and Trawler. Most have sailing rigs, but it doesn't appear they are set up for sail alone. I don't see much detail about fuel tankage, and I do not know if the hull shapes support long range passage making (or if they are optimized for shallow water gunkholing).

It seems they are primarily are built to satisfy the charter market in SW Turkey. I assume this would drive layouts that may not be optimal for a cruising couple. No? I really like all the outdoor lounging space - much of which is covered.

Why are there so many of these vessels for sale, and why have they not migrated elsewhere in the world? If spending $Xk, it seems many of these vessels would represent a great deal - of course realizing they are docked in Turkey. Thoughts?

Just curious,
Animal

I guess more succinctly, curious if anyone knows much about all those Gulets on YW: design, construction, power, systems, sea kindliness, performance (range), etc, etc, etc, etc

Hey Animal, I for one am glad you asked your question! Like you I spent a ton of time on YW and TF, as I called it "learning and yearning". And I was always drawn to the romantic notion of a wooden Gulet motorsailer - but not enough to seriously inquire. Looking forward to seeing if you get any intelligent responses (this one, of course, notwithstanding!).

If it seems like too good a deal....it probably is....

The vast majority of these boats were built for the short term (near shore) charter business. They are also a tax dodge. Most, not all but most, are poorly built by the usual western yacht standards. So many are for sale because they're getting old and maintenance becomes huge, also they vastly oversupplied the market. The charter business has dried up. Lots of varnish slapped on poorly done wood joinery that's prone to extensive rot and poor structural engineering. You must be very careful and employ a impartial surveyor, which may be tough from long distance.

I've looked at those Gulet boats online before-- they seem cheap for the size!! Good luck getting a good, impartial surveyor in Turkey I'm thinking.

I love the Turks, but they have been selling since the beginning of time and I'm pretty sure I would get taken to the cleaners.

I did buy a nice rug in Turkey however. Once belonged to Suleiman the Magnificent they guaranteed me. dde33

Last edited:
Ahh yes! Turkey! Some people eat it, I skied it!

That is interesting, the old time late 1800- mid 1900s sailing boats that traded interisland in the Caribbean were known as "Goletas" in Spanish.

Attachments

• goletas.jpg
    goletas.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for the responses! I figured the political situation in Turkey may have generated the excess charter inventory, and was concerned that quality may be the reason for the seemingly low prices. Lots of very large recently built wooden boats for sale for less than it would cost to build a wooden boat most places.... Yes, a deal too good t be true is likely just that! Thanks, Tad!

So in general are they coastal cruisers or are they offshore capable? ....though I realize the Med isn't much of a test!

Turkey has become a major player in the large yacht building arena because they have low costs, not poor quality. The build standard is equal to that of Northern Europe despite the assertions that we read here.

Turkey has become a major player in the large yacht building arena because they have low costs, not poor quality. The build standard is equal to that of Northern Europe despite the assertions that we read here.

Understand.... But are these wooden gulets products of those type of production yards or are they built shore-side by aspiring charter operators? The pictures of the interiors suggest yacht-like finish, but as Tad mentioned that may be a gob of wood and varnish to my untrained eye.

I love Gulet's but I do not think they would suit my individual purpose of passagemaking.
They appear to be built just for the Med conditions, and probably why you do not see many (any?) elsewhere.
I am really interested in "Motorsailers" though.

Back
Top Bottom