New here, but slightly used...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GT6

Veteran Member
Greetings forumites,

We're long time (40 years for me) boaters. Have had a wide array of boats; from Hobie Cat, a few tournament ski boat, a couple of sportfishing boats, various smallish sailboats, inflatables, etc. Since I was 12, I've rarely been without a boat of some sort.

We've also been into ancient British sports cars & vintage racing. We currently do not have a boat, but have several vintage race & sports cars.

I've been wanting to pick up another boat, though. This time, I think we'll try a trawler or tug type. We recently moved to Sonoma County, and have San Francisco Bay nearby. I'm thinking of either a trailerable boat; Ranger Tug, Nordic Tug, etc. or a boat in the 36-42' range, and simply keep it in a marina north of San Francisco.

I like the possibility of trailering the boat to the Puget Sound easily. I'm not retired, and taking weeks off at a time doesn't work for us.

OK, that's about it.

Ed

Nordic Tugs might be trailerable. There are a few trailers out there. Check out SENTOA.org for nordic tugs. It's a great time to buy.

Had a 69 GT6+ and a 73 GT6 MkIII...

Welcome, Ed. You have an interesting area to start cruising. Cruising trawlers or tugs will do the job quite nicely up there. Stick around. You have much boating experience, so jump in and share.

You will find others here that share an interest in vintage cars. Just a suggestion, but why don't you start a thread in the "Off Topic" forum. I would love to see you post some pictures and tell some stories about your cars.

Welcome aboard Ed, glad you joined us. There are many experianced people here and it appears you will have much to add.

GT6, Welcome to the Trawler Forum! You're not too far from Petaluma and a few of us TFers from Vallejo Marina are talking about another trip to Petaluma this spring. Our boats' LOAs all fall into your bracket.

Check out our "Social Group" here on TF where we talk about our local escapades. If you bring along enough IPA beer, you'd probably get an extended tour of 3-4 boats that might fit your non-trailerable requirements. (How's that for shameless solicitation of a bribe?)

Another welcome aboard as well.:thumb:
I checked out Ranger Tugs at the last boat show in our area. Pretty nice rigs.

I share Moonstrucks suggestion on opening a thread in OT regarding your cars. Seems to be more than one or two gearheads around here:D

OD

Another welcome aboard as well.:thumb:
I checked out Ranger Tugs at the last boat show in our area. Pretty nice rigs.

Yes. I've seen them at shows but not on the water. They are nice boats. They now have a 31' model with a fold down flybridge so it can be trailered.

R31-1.jpg

Home | Rangertugs

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. GT6....nice machine. Thankfully not an MG....ugh....

Thanks for the warm welcome! We do have a couple MG's...:eek: a '52 TD & a '73 B. I've had the TD since I was 14, and learned to drive in it. My wife drives the B, and it's got an Oselli Stage 2 motor, MGRV8 front suspension, etc. It moves pretty well...:thumb: She also has a Formula V which she races frequently. A few shots attached, including my favorite race car; my '64 Spitfire

Attachments

• 20131020_215102.jpg
    20131020_215102.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 52 MGTD.jpg
    52 MGTD.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 66
  • GT6 Chuckwalla.jpg
    GT6 Chuckwalla.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 64 Spit.jpg
    64 Spit.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 82
Very cool!:thumb: Love the Spitfire. DWHatty here has an MGB with the small block V-8 based on the old Buick tooling. Hope you have redone the electrics and brakes on those jewels.

...If you bring along enough IPA beer, you'd probably get an extended tour of 3-4 boats that might fit your non-trailerable requirements. (How's that for shameless solicitation of a bribe?)...

The man speaks the truth! Join our group and we will post the dates that you can bring the beer...

Very cool!:thumb: Love the Spitfire. DWHatty here has an MGB with the small block V-8 based on the old Buick tooling.
I`m sensing big understeer with that weight up up front, instead of the usual 4cyl.

I`m sensing big understeer with that weight up up front, instead of the usual 4cyl.

Probably right. Under steer is not too bad. At least you run off the road frontwards!:D

Probably right. Under steer is not too bad. At least you run off the road frontwards!:D
Once you flick the tail out you can control it, understeer makes that hard.
Oh oh, the thread creep is in...:nonono:

Ipa?

So, IPA is the secret password... ;)

Just so happens I've got two good IPA's on tap currently. Stone, and 101 North "Heroin" IPA. I'll bring a couple growlers!

I'm hesitant to board the GB42, might be just too tempting.

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 74
... If you bring along enough IPA beer, you'd probably get an extended tour of 3-4 boats that might fit your non-trailerable requirements. (How's that for shameless solicitation of a bribe?)

Left to right on the Coot: markpierce, FlyWright (Al) with an IPA, Dswizzler (Mark), and Meg (Al's wife) at a Pittsburg rendevous with Giggitoni's GB in the background.

img_207443_0_d40490c9b9fdbb0f4ebd161dd2a47149.jpg

Last edited:
GT6, Welcome to the Trawler Forum! You're not too far from Petaluma and a few of us TFers from Vallejo Marina are talking about another trip to Petaluma this spring. Our boats' LOAs all fall into your bracket.

232323232%7Ffp543%3C8%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A273%3B8336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3C7%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A273%3B7336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Come/walk this way.

232323232%7Ffp536%3A6%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C9996248336nu0mrj

Yes. I've seen them at shows but not on the water. They are nice boats. They now have a 31' model with a fold down flybridge so it can be trailered.

R31-1.jpg

Home | Rangertugs

Yes sir, the 31 is new on the market this year IIRC.
I was on one in the water at the last boat show here. The rep was a great guy, and even though he knew I was not in the market to purchase at that time, he was very willing to spend the time to discuss the boat in detail with me and was ready to turn the key for a quick spin. :thumb: Being late in the afternoon (around 5 or so) on a long show day, I politely declined, not wishing to waste his time and fuel.

The boats are actually very roomy inside. "Cozy" but comfortable, with a nice aft area, high rails, and pretty well laid out IMO. I think it'd be great for weekending, or maybe a few weeks at a time here and there.

The only thing was, it seemed a little on the high end price wise, but I'm still new in this game, so WTH do I know? LOL.

I going to arrange a ride with another retired LEO that lives in the area, and hopefully on the 31 at the next show/fest.

Definitely worth looking into.

OD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom